1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You sound like a man with a plan! I admire that.

Have you a proper suit for interviews?

2. Essential

Essential Senior member

Make sure you allocate some money towards tailoring!

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Tough to say, since you haven't really said what job you're going for, where (geographically) you're looking for a job, what the dress norms are at the places where you'll be trying for a job, etc. That having been said...

Many men (and I'm among them) don't favor wearing french cuffs without also wearing a suit or a jacket. If you're buying 5 french cuff shirts, it suggests that you plan on wearing french cuffs quite often. But you only talk about buying one blazer, and no suit. So I see a possible disconnect there.

Next, your budget really isn't all that huge. Given this, I think you might be overspending. A decent dress shirt can often be had for about half the $100 you mention. (Brooks Brothers is having a 30% off sale on... I think this coming Wednesday.) (And don't limit yourself to french cuffs; barrel cuffs do have their place, too.) A perfectly satisfactory pair of black Allen Edmonds shoes can often be had for under $400. (The AE Park Avenue is something of a standard. It's practically "McBlackDressShoe." But it's by no means the only acceptable choice.) And $600 on a blazer is downright extravagant.

More sensible might be to buy a $200 blazer (Anderson-Little offers a serviceable one for $179, with free shipping), and save yourself $400. Save another couple of hundred on shirts and shoes. Then take those savings and use them on a suit, a few neckties, and alterations. (Alterations are key. A man in a $400 suit that's been expertly tailored will usually look better than a man in a $1400 suit that's off by half an inch here, and three quarters of an inch there. He'll typically feel more comfortable and more confident wearing the suit, too.) Okay, this may wind up exceeding your budget slightly, but I trust you get the idea.

Since you're operating on a budget, consider buying most of your ties from The Tie Bar. While I'd agree that they're not necessarily the nicest ties money can buy, they are about equivalent to the typical $40-45 department store tie, and they cost $15. I suspect they would meet your needs quite nicely

In another 6 months, spend that additional $1000 on another suit (or jacket). A second pair of shoes (very worthwhile purchase - it's generally not a great idea to wear the same shoes, every day). Maybe a sweater or winter coat, if you're living in a climate that experiences chilly winter weather.

But again, without knowing where you're going to be working, or what your job will be, or what the prevailing manner of dress is there, it's very difficult to tell you whether your plans are good, great, or awful.
    --
    Michael

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  4. PantsCrotchGuy

PantsCrotchGuy New Member

Ok, so I have a question, I'll try to keep it brief, this may seem like a weird question but hear me out, and anyone tell me if you have had similar experiences to this:

Alright, so I have really thick, muscular thighs--my inner thighs actually rub together when I walk--and this causes my entire crotch-region (I'll try not to be too explicit) to get pushed up and out. The result is that if I'm wearing any normal, reasonably tight-fitting pants or shorts--then at its worst--it looks like I'm walking around with half of an erection. My crotch-region just bulges out more than what is typically normal.

Again, without being too explicit, I'm assuming that with most guys, their twig-and-berries just hang straight down between their legs; mine rests almost completely horizontal, and therefore jut out.

I've tried all sorts of different pants and shorts to correct this, to little or no avail. I typically just wear pants that are far too big for me to give that "rumpled" look so you can't tell, but this is very uncomfortable and obviously just looks unprofessional or weird if you're always wearing pants or shorts that are two or three sizes too big. It's therefore impossible for me to wear any kind of tight-fitting gym shorts or professional-looking slacks.

I know this is a weird question but I am being totally legit, and would really appreciate any answers. I am normal sized down there, and I am of a medium build, so I'm not fat or anything else that would cause this, my thighs are just very thick. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2 people like this.
  5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

6. Essential

Essential Senior member

Does anyone know if there's a picture that shows most tie widths? People post up pictures with a suit and tie and I can never tell what the tie width is.

And what's the difference between silk, wool, and cotton ties?

7. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

Really nooby question: If I'm a 19" shoulder, 40" chest, with long arms and torso, does that mean I have to buy size 42L and get the chest taken in? Or canI still fit into some size 40L sport coats? Most of the ones I see are around an 18.5" shoulder, but the size 42 jackets are usually around 22" in the chest.

Thanks!

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

What US size equivalent would JL's made in England 11 E have?

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

What tie width will be best for you depends on your frame. If you're a smaller guy, you may want something like a 3". If you're a larger guy, 3.75". Or just buy something within that range and don't obsess- it doesn't matter that much anyway, as long as it's not a huge mismatch with your jacket lapel or frame.

As for the difference between silk, wool and cotton, they're made out of different things. Silk is typically smoother and more formal, and is an all season choice, cotton is lighter, wears a little cooler and has a more casual texture with less sheen. Wool is rougher, has no sheen, and is again a more casual alternative. Wears warmer, obviously.

11. Essential

Essential Senior member

I'm a "small guy" ( 5' 5", 130 pounds) but semi-big for my size (athletic). I'm not sure about my jacket lapel since I haven't received my MTM suit yet. I know the standard is 3.5" and I'm planning to buy some ties from TheTieBar to start off my collection. Do you think 3" or 3.5" would be more suitable? I have a 2.75" at its widest point and I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger so I'm leaning towards 3". However, on TheTieBar, it lists 3" as skinny (though I don't think it really is).

And I guess I'll go for silk. Is that what people normally use?

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yes, silk is the standard.

And 3" would be good for you. It's slim, but not really skinny, which works for a smaller guy, though 3.5" won't look ridiculous. As for lapels, they'll probably be moderate to narrow, given current trends. The exact measurement is irrelevant. But a fat tie would look awkward with one of those super slim, 1" imitations of a lapel, and a 2" skinny tie would look stupid with the winged jackets they made in the 70's.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

You may as well roll with it and begin sporting a well fitted codpiece.

[​IMG]

Welcome to Styleforum.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Drummond is on the 348 last.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think one of the things with a Chinese wedding is that the guests should not wear any red, as its something that only the bride should wear.

Regarding the shoes, I though the MacNeils would be a good choice because they're a little bit more casual than an oxford, but I don't really have that many other bluchers. I do have some Navy Rancourt venetian loafers I picked up recently, but think those would be too casual. I'll take another look through my shoes. Thanks again.

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Don't be silly, Eldridge Cleaver solved this problem years ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

one inch is pretty standard. ymmv.

17. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I have pretty big thighs as well, I wear boxer briefs, fitted dress pants, and fitted jeans. If you look closely you can see my package bulging a bit but it never bothers me and I do not remember ever being called out. People typically ask me why I am so formally dressed and that does not bother me at all. :)

unless you literally have a huge package, I think you are noticing the bulge a little too much.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol: Can you find a bigger photo? I want to read the text of that pic.

19. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

That super-classy designer "Eldridge de Paris" promised you'd be COCK OF THE WALK with his fall 1975 collection. "Life is just a chain of daisies," reads the text, "when you slip into (careful, now) these revolutionary hot pants – with their ever-so-daring accent provacateur – just unveiled by famous radical designer Edridge Cleaver of Paris. They're bad, they're mad, they're up front (but never out of sight)... and, of course, they're for men only... REAL men... the three-fisted variety. 'There's no mistaking they are men's pants,' says M. Cleaver (seen here modeling a high-waisted two-tone pair of 'Cleavers' with side zipper and matching 'appurtenance.' 'The pants that men wear now will be seen as girls' pants after my models are sold. And don't forget... HEAVY ON THE STARCH!"

20. beansach

beansach Member

Groom in a southern california day time, outdoor summer wedding. (Southern California casual summer wedding must conjure up awful images of khaki suits and white vans... gag) My instinct is navy 2btn, black balmorals, glenn plaid tie. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of my navy suit. I am extremely picky about suits, and don't have the budget to buy one I would be happy to get married in. I do have a navy blazer that works for me, right width lapels, right gorge height, all that picky stuff. Would it be a crime to wear navy blazer, wool trousers, blue shirt, chocolate suede cap toes and belt, and the tie of SF's choosing?