1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Member

Thanks alot, well appreciated.
    I guess I`ll find a upscale store and compare their ties to some shitty ones I´ve got already.

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Sorry for the double post. Still curious as to why Tailored Suits Paris is so looked down upon here.

Edit: The reason that I am asking is because I have one of their suits and want to make sure it is the quality I believe it to be before I invest more money.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  3. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

Is it possible to get a decent MTM suit for about 700 USD?

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Coppley. Only half canvas though.

5. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

it's a start, thank you.

Two of the best shops in town use them...good on ya!

6. BK Pogue

BK Pogue Member

Hi All,

I bought these C&Js at a thrift store about 3 years ago on a trip to London. I believe the store was in Notting Hill, but I'm not certain. I didn't know what they were at the time (nor sadly what Crockett & Jones was) but due to their comfort and quality, they basically single-footedly (sorry, bad) were the impetus (im-ped-us? No? I'll stop.) to my becoming more interested in well-made clothing and footwear. All I know is that they're C&J Drummonds. Inside it reads 5056 12 8E x39902. On the insole it reads "Hand Benched and Hand Finished by Craftsmen". Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Well, I don't much care for it, but neither do I pretend to understand how a bride or a wedding planner thinks.

Now, let me exercise my incredible psychic powers...

It's a daytime wedding, isn't it?

I totally get the whole hatred of renting thing.

But come on - you know perfectly well that you will wear this tuxedo one time only. It just doesn't make sense to drop hundreds of dollars to purchase a tuxedo you'll only wear once.

So if you can buy the exact tuxedo the bride wants you to wear - the EXACT one, mind you - for no more than twice what it'd cost you to rent it, then buy. And afterwards, sell it or donate it. Otherwise, rent it. Tell yourself it's like renting an unpleasant hotel room or an disappointing car for a week while you're out of town on business. Not ideal, but nothing you can't endure. Particularly since you'll only have to put up with the thing for a matter of hours.

Oh, and was the pocket square color chosen to match the bridesmaids' dresses?
    --
    Michael

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

This is a monstrosity.....are you required to wear a foamy red nose and curly wig with this?

[​IMG]

Wear your peak lapel and urgently insist the bride reconsider her reasoning for this nightmare and if she doubts you, send her here and we'll straighten her out.
    Welcome to Styleforum.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1

:lol: no offense to your friend's lady but many women can't even dress themselves and now they're dressing the men... that is more of a costume than a tux.

11. Essential

Essential Senior member

12. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Hi, light grey suit, pink shirt, black tie, what color shoes? Black or brown?

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Black

1 person likes this.
  14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

What is your question?

15. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Given that you are wearing a grey suit and a black tie, I would definetely go with black. Brown generally goes with lighter shades, and so for a grey suit black is the best complement. If you were wearing a maroon or brownish tie then maybe you could pull of the brown shoes, but you would need to wear a brown belt to match. Your safest option here are black shoes, and wear a black belt to match. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  16. BK Pogue

BK Pogue Member

Sorry, should have been more clear. "Thanks in advance for any information you can provide", should be read to suggest I'm broadly fishing for any info those more knowledgeable than I might deem relevant or interesting about the shoe. I'd specifically like to know the last, but if you have any other information that you think may be of interest, by all means, throw it out there. Thanks.

Also, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

17. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Anyone have an idea what is average price for a bespoke suit from Naples (exc. Rubinacci, maybe)?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  18. Kk1606

Kk1606 New Member

Hi all. I'm having a bespoke suit made and it's only my second (and first 3-piece) so I'm fumbling along. I believe my tailor knows that I'm not really good at this so he's trying to brush over some flaws. Here are some of the pictures from my recent fitting. I really would appreciate some comments on what needs to be fixed!

So far, I've got the following:
    1. Button stance on the jacket should be lowered by an inch
    2. Sleeves need to be further shortened
    3. My dropped right shoulder is pretty obvious. I'm guessing more padding required to the right shoulder?
    4. It's too tight around the waist
    5. Back is not clean around shoulder blades area (what needs to be done here?
    6. Pants drape at the rear needs to be removed

Can I have some comments on the vest too please? I've never had one done before and don't know what to look out for. In the photo it looks a little unbalanced because the tailor pinned up one side - he's going to shorten it. What else have I missed? Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Kk1606

Kk1606 New Member

Hi all,

I'm having a bespoke suit made and it's only my 2nd (and first 3-piece) so I'm fumbling along. I think my tailor has picked up that I'm new to this and is trying to gloss over some of the flaws. I'm attaching some photos from the recent fitting below, hoping to get some comments from you as to what needs to be fixed.

So far, I've got the following:
    1. Jacket button stance should be lowered by an inch. Currently looks a tad disproportionate
    2. My right dropped shoulder is still pretty apparent. Im guessing more padding required for the right shoulder?
    3. Sleeves need to be further shortened
    4. It's a little too waisted
    5. The back is not clean especially aroound the shoulder blades (what should be done here?)
    6. Pants drape at the rear to be removed

I really don't know about the vest. A couple of people have told me it seems a little odd somehow but can't articulate why. It looks a tad unbalanced in the photos because the tailor pinned up one side - he's going to shorten the vest.

Anyway, please do drop some comments on whether I've missed anything. I appreciate the time. Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. TimeCollector

TimeCollector Member

I am starting my career later in life than most. I am 31 years old. I joined the Army out of highschool because I had nobody in my family to help me pay for college. I studied for the CCNP and am now job hunting. I eventually want to get in banking and the stock market, so my clothing selection is with those ambitions in mind.

I have a $500 gift card from Nordstrom and $1500 cash to spend.

My plan is to buy 5 french cuff dress shirts @ $100 each at Nordstrom, 3 dress pants @ $150 each, 1 pair of black dress shoes @ $400, and a blazer @ $600.

Is that a good start?

In 6 months I will be comfortable spending another $1000.