Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cliche

cliche Senior member

A size Medium in US is that the same in EU? Or does the sweater get bigger or smaller?

2. auggie

auggie Well-Known Member

A size medium in the US is a large in the EU.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. cliche

cliche Senior member

Thanks alot man! You saved me there! Near to buy some sweaters that would be toooo big!

4. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If he's 9 stone he needs a lot of good luck. The guy is lighter then me :embar:

To the OP you need to try things on and check the shoulders. But depending on your build you may need to do a lot of searching.

5. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

The EU is a big place.

I wouldn't count on things being so simple. The big difference you might find is in the waist size of the sweater.

But you can't count on M is L. Brands vary. Countries vary.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What is the general opinion around here about brown sport coats which are patterned? Is brown not that hard to work with in terms of combinations? Also, is a patterned brown sport coat considered too 'old man' (I'm 23)?

Will a blue oxford (the color from moderntailor) work? Sorry I forgot the color of the pattern...

7. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

No. brown is awesome.

see in praise of brown for more information

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Brown sportcoats are great. Patterns are great too, they add some interest. If it fits you well, classic tailoring in just about any color will be fairly timeless, not old man or young man. That's really the entire point of classic clothes in general.

A blue oxford would go great with a brown coat. And just about anything else, really.

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks guys! Will pick up the sport coat tomorrow...see if any tailoring is needed (dont think much if any once i tried it on but im no expert) and then get back here for PS and tie vendors :nodding:.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Is $2250 for 2 MTM suits and 4 bespoke shirts a good deal? From Nick Hilton in Princeton, NJ.

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Depends on the quality of the suits and the shirts. Not a bad price at all if they are of good quality. What materials are being used? What type of suits? Details on suit construction? I have no experience with Mr. Hilton.

12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The next more expensive option (+500) is super 120 wool so the 2250 package is a step down from that? The next higher option after that are Hickey Freeman and then Norman Hilton. I don't know much anything about suits but I need to get a few for interviews and such and OTR stuff never fits me.

http://www.nickhilton.com/made-to-measure/

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Start here -

http://www.styleforum.net/t/269171/canvas-and-suit-construction

The website you've linked doesn't provide much in the way of specifics of the suit construction. You need to know details if you're going to be able to determine the relative value of the suit.

Now, having said that, mainline Hickey Freeman is very good and is full canvas. I have two older Norman Hilton suits, full canvas, that are excellent and have held up well as a business suit.

14. onix

onix Senior member

To put thing in persective: A very good traveling bespoke tailor from Hong Kong would charge that much for 1 suit and 1 shirt; one of the best bespoke tailor in the state would charge that much for half of a suit. So that would be a decent deal if the quality is good. But I would really question the quality that you would get from such deal though.

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I do know about canvassing it's fabrics that I really have no knowledge of. Maybe I'll sell a watch to cover the difference for a HF package [​IMG]

Thanks for this benchmark. It's a difficult decision to make because I will not be wearing them that often so I want them quality enough to last for many years but I don't want to go too high quality and look like I'm a trust fund kid or something.