1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

BB maybe... decent trench for a little less than half the Burberry

3. amathew

amathew Senior member

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

Not sure, wanna browse first and see what's out there.

5. E TF

E TF Senior member

Well I suppose you could do worse than going to the Portobello Rd market on a saturday, see if there are any decent vintage cufflinks for sale.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Looks good to me, although the lavender shirt with purple tie pushes the edge of "matchy matchy" to my eye. A light blue shirt might be better, in which case change out the PS.

7. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Anyone own a BB trench? Cant decide between the Brit and London line...and the model is wearing a size S...but Im 3 inches shorter than him.

8. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

Looking at a Gant Rugger sport coat for $700, is this justifiable for their quality? I searched the forum, and couldn't find any guidance on Gant Rugger wrt jackets.

*this is my first post, I am a 2 year lurker

9. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

`How is the quality of J.Crew's shirts?

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

If the length isn't on their website you can find it elsewhere on the internets. The shorter ones are usually 34.5" and the longer ones 38".

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think Lands end canvas heritage fit or Brooks Brothers ESF might be close.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think Gant Rugger is overpriced. $700 for a sports coat from them sounds like way too much.

1 person likes this.
  13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'd look to see where it is made, and whether it passes the pinch test. $700 for a made-in-USA, fully canvassed sport coat is a good deal. The same price for made in China, fused construction is a rip-off.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gorpomon

Gorpomon Well-Known Member

I own a few of their oxfrd cloth shirts. They've held up well, very comfortable, easy to clean, can't complain. That being said, if you're doing dress shirts it seems the consensus is that BB Extra Slim Fit is the winner. I prefer BB by a mile for shirts. One note, I'm not a shirt expert, but areas such as the collar and placket on the J. Crew shirt kind of pucker, and I can't iron them out. I don't wear enough Oxford to know if that's natural or a higher quality shirt avoids that. Overall though, if I wasn't using BB almost exclusively, J. Crew would be my next choice.

15. Alcyone

Alcyone Member

Hi fellas,

As I'm sure many of you know, BB is having a F&F 25% off sale. I took the chance to pick up a new solid navy suit. I had it slightly altered (lengths only for now), and would like to know what you think about the fit. What alterations should I make? I'm not very satisfied with the break of the pants. I don't want a full break, as I think it looks a bit sloppy, but the current break flares out too much.

For reference purposes, I'm an undergraduate business student looking to work in the financial services industry upon graduation. I've heard a lot of advice tossed around on Wall Street forums about what type of ties should be worn to interviews (avoid red, etc.). Will the combination that I'm wearing in these photos be acceptable? Navy suit, repp tie, black shoes/belt. I'd like a modern look without being obnoxious, heh.

Thanks for any and all advice!

~ A

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I know a lot of people think this is to short, however, I chose a cropped coat for a reason.

Disregarding the length of it, what does SF think about this Burberry mid length coat?

[​IMG]

What do you all think about wearing this as outerwear on a chilly, but dry, night? Should this be reserved strictly for rain?

17. Bob5432

Bob5432 Member

Hello. could you guys give me your opinion on my question? Thanks alot!
    I'm a little worried because next week I am going to an office in Rockefeller Plaza, but I have no idea how people dress there.

Do you think its ok if I go with

1) gray wool pants
    2) white dress shirt (no tie)
    3) black sport coat
    4) ferragamo loafers

This was my original question. Thanks

Quote:

18. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

While I do not think it is a rip off, I do not think it is a good deal either. You could get a Zegna one off Ebay new for ~$500.

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It really depends greatly on what sort of office, and why you're going there. If you're stopping by the office to pick up your date at the end of the day, so the two of you can go out for dinner, you can get by dressing one way. If you're going there to give a presentation to some high level corporate/legal/financial types, in hopes of convincing them to retain the services of your accounting firm, you might just want to dress another way. And then there are the IT guys; I've long since stopped trying to figure out how they choose their clothes, but I'm pretty sure throwing darts at something and the use of a random number generator enter into the picture.

That's an essentially casual look. Which may be fine, or may not be fine - you haven't told us enough to permit meaningful judgment.

It's casual because (1) there's no tie; (2) sport coats are more casual than suits; and (3) loafers tend to be more casual than lace-up dress shoes.

I'll add that I don't care for black sport coats at all. But as the whole "Are black suits okay?" issue has been addressed on SF dozens of times, and most of what's been said pretty much applies to sport coats too, I won't bother going over this well tilled ground yet again.
    --
    Michael

20. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I doubt they even go to that length.