• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fortunately my insurance covers loss of valuable property from the vehicle, up to $10,000. I'd just get a check for a new briefcase.
Thanks, but no dice.

Picky, picky, it seems like a lost cause trying to justify not buying it. The aggravation from having to keep replacing it would be the only reason not to. Hey, buy two! That way when the hoodies steal the one you normally carry, you'll have a spare until the insurance pays out. Then you can re-buy another spare...

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which tie would you guys choose to go with this jacket? (Other suggestions are welcome as well). I'm supposed to be going to a "holiday" cocktail party so this is the only jacket I have besides a full on suit.

This is the jacket-

These are the ties

I feel like the red one goes with the Christmas theme a bit more, but I don't know if it clashes with the jacket.

zanderman

Reaction score
Anybody here able to get deals on Mabitex, or other slim pants? I would rather ask someone directly than waste time on B&S.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What colour shirt and pants will you be wearing?

wing8tesqw

Reaction score
Chocolate brown corduroy sport coat.. I'm thinking about navy blue elbow patches. I would like opinions on 2 items:

1. leather or suede patches?
2. round or rectangle patch shape?

thx

zanderman

Reaction score

Chocolate brown corduroy sport coat..  I'm thinking about navy blue elbow patches.  I would like opinions on 2 items:

1. leather or suede patches?
2. round or rectangle patch shape?

thx

Always round, IMO. And I would do suede, though a really matte leather might give the same effect and be more durable.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What colour shirt and pants will you be wearing?

Sorry I should have added that. White shirt and probably dark fitted jeans with my pair of strands. I'm trying to decide if I can pull off a pocket square and what color it should be. I'm bad about being too matchy matchy.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two related cobbler questions:
I have some dry eraser dust ground into my shoes and they've ruined the finish. What can I expect to pay for stripping and refinishing?
My local cobbler had a price list that included "heel and full sole --$55". Is this similar to recrafting? Is this a reasonable price for this service?
Thanks!

Do it yourself. Saddle soap and polish, if the polish alone won't do it. I really, really doubt you'll have to completely strip and redo the finish.

As for the heel and sole, it's not recrafting. It's a full sole replacement. Take the old leather sole off, attach a new one, and put a new heel on, since the heel has to come off for a new sole anyway. Recrafting involves refinishing the upper, replacing the cork footbed (if applicable), and in the case of Allen Edmonds, replacing the welt. As for the price, that's really good. Probably not a great quality sole, and the stitching is probably done by machine with no attention paid to how close the stitches were on the original sole and welt.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just picked up a vintage croc belt (from Etsy). What steps should I care to condition it and care going forward?

facet

Reaction score

Sorry I should have added that. White shirt and probably dark fitted jeans with my pair of strands. I'm trying to decide if I can pull off a pocket square and what color it should be. I'm bad about being too matchy matchy.

I would prefer the grey/green tie as well. But the red one would look good as well if you're looking to be a bit bolder; I wouldn't think it would clash. Both look nice either way IMHO.

Philip

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the quality of Our Legacy tailoring?

missileblitz

Reaction score
I normally wear size 9.5 (UK) wide fitting (EEE) shoes. I am currently contemplating buying the Loake Pimlico Chukka, but I am currently unsure if they will fit me as they are F wide boots. I have researched a lot from this forum, and people have stated that the capital last (last used in the pimlico model) is quite wide. Can anyone help me in my sizing dilemma?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a slim fitting dress shirt that I can buy from an online site, I have checked mrporter.com and I did not like anything. I have also gone through RLBL and RLPL and I like one shirt from RLPL but its a french cuff and I was planning on wearing it without a coat. Can anyone recommend me a site? Thanks in advance.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking for a slim fitting dress shirt that I can buy from an online site, I have checked mrporter.com and I did not like anything. I have also gone through RLBL and RLPL and I like one shirt from RLPL but its a french cuff and I was planning on wearing it without a coat. Can anyone recommend me a site? Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything that slim online. If you're opposed to MTM, I'd suggest getting some slim fit TM Lewins or whatever the other cheap British brand was called and adding darts to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads