• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some tie problems! Is this a windsor knot he is using? And that grope under the knot, how do you do that? Do i put my finger in the middle i cant do it good.

Better, thicker, more expensive ties produce a more pronounced dimple. Tie the tie slightly shorter than you're trying to, the wider part provides for a better dimple. As you tighten it, try to do it in a way that doesn't prevent the dimple from forming. Finally, practice a lot.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have some tie problems! Is this a windsor knot he is using? And that grope under the knot, how do you do that? Do i put my finger in the middle i cant do it good.

My technique for a nice dimple: Tie your tie to the point where you feed the broad blade through the knot, but don't cinch it down all the way. Pull a few inches of the broad blade back out, crimp it with your fingers, then feed it back through while holding the crimp in place and tighten. You should have locked your dimple in place. If you try to form it after feeding the broad blade through, it'll usually fall out.

This is much easier to do with a high quality tie.

Last edited:

herrport

Reaction score
Quote:

I understand, i have quality ties like brioni and zegna thats all i use. But still i want it to be perfect. Is there some youtube clip to guide this perfectly? My english isn't that good, i come from Sweden so. Your writing is little advanced for me but im understanding you a little bit.

astro1001

Reaction score
Okay so I found a website with the history of the ACWA Union tag in the coat which would place the coat between 1962 and 1976. It looks like a quality piece but I'm really no expert (hence my posting here). So, can anyone provide additional insight, maybe an educated guess as to the company (or companies) they might have produced for in those years?

ukeseb

Reaction score

May want to look at here. I'm sure there are other places, too.

Thanks - I actually went to the place in Tokyo where I got them hemmed and he showed me an example of what he would do, and the results were very impressive so he so go the job. If it all goes **** up then I'll pack them off to Denim Therapy I guess.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know anywhere that sells ties in the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch range? The only place I can seem to find ones in that size is J Crew, but I'd like to try something else.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys know anywhere that sells ties in the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch range? The only place I can seem to find ones in that size is J Crew, but I'd like to try something else.

thetiebar.com is very decent for the price.

CodPiece

Reaction score
Two related cobbler questions:
I have some dry eraser dust ground into my shoes and they've ruined the finish. What can I expect to pay for stripping and refinishing?
My local cobbler had a price list that included "heel and full sole --$55". Is this similar to recrafting? Is this a reasonable price for this service?
Thanks!

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Lands End Canvas are mostly 2.75"

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to rationalize an excuse not to buy this bag. My old bag - from customhide.com - was very nice and I'd be happy to buy another one, but it was stolen when hoodlums broke into my car. I need a new briefcase, and I'm having trouble finding an excuse not to spend $2k on this bag.

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/west3_dc/index.html

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hoodlums will just steal the new one as well, hope that helped :D

Fortunately my insurance covers loss of valuable property from the vehicle, up to $10,000. I'd just get a check for a new briefcase.

Thanks, but no dice.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads