• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
100% black tie, 0% suit.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a cheap v-neck undershirt that's long enough to stay tucked in? Can't stand the muffin top effect that happens when my undershirt comes untucked underneath my outer shirt.

It depends on your height, really... I'm 5'10" and I use Hanes undershirts from Target. I size down and they stay tucked.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always use a four in hand tie knot. I think I am doing it right but I always have the exact problem, regardless of the tie material or width or type of collared shirt I am using. The problem is that the knot is narrow and it also doesn't sit up high into the "notch" where the knot should go. Instead, it looks like I tied my tie, then kind of loosened it a bit so you can actually see where the tie material exits out of the knot (usually just one side) and starts going around my neck.

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It could be 100 different things. Are you wearing very skinny ties? Are your shirt collars very spread? Try tightening the tie more around your neck and when doing so sort of hold the tie parallel to the ground so the knot lifts up. Tightening the knot towards your neck, rather than "up" towards your chin might help. I also find that it is harder to make a knot stay up if your shirt collars are too big. You need the collar band to be snug around your neck and "choke" yourself a bit more.

Philip

Reaction score
that shawl collar is disgusting. I can see someone wearing this with jeans and a low v neck with really gaudy pointy shoes

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would getting a brogued belt to wear with wingtips be too matchy-matchy?

Specifically this belt with McAllisters.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who's ever going to notice? Do it.

This purchase is MOL's and your fault
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well the shoes were spendy so I figure the accompanying belt might as well follow suit!

I figure the belt is the least noticeable piece of clothing besides underwear and socks (sometimes). Most regular calf leather belts look the same regardless of price. If your pants fit at the waist and there's no folding going on, a cheap belt will serve you just as long as the most expensive one. No point spending more than $25 on a belt, unless you have extra money lying around.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figure the belt is the least noticeable piece of clothing besides underwear and socks (sometimes). Most regular calf leather belts look the same regardless of price. If your pants fit at the waist and there's no folding going on, a cheap belt will serve you just as long as the most expensive one. No point spending more than $25 on a belt, unless you have extra money lying around.

Yea, when I take delivery of the shoes I'm going to try and find a <65 matching belt. The AE belt has the advantage of being from the same exact leather as the shoes.

Bateman87

Reaction score
Any suggestions for casual brown laced shoes? I want them to be dressy enough to wear to work (pretty casual - I usually wear J.Crew shirts without ties; khakis, cords, etc) but still wearable with jeans. I'd get Clarks Desert Boots, but I already have the grey suede variant. Price range.. say a soft limit of $200 and a hard limit of $300.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads