Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

only problem is it seems all sportscoats i try on are completely long in the sleeve area.

2. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

Shirt fit question here.

Hey guys, I've been getting mixed answers from every person I ask so here goes:
    I am a 36s in suits with a 14" neck. Many if not nearly all companies only offer down to a Small option in their shirts, all nearly being about 20" in the chest! I'm wondering how much is too much in the chest? I don't want to look like a pirate, but when this is usually the smallest size offered, I don't know what to do.
    Second, I want to buy an ROTM shirt, but the XS is 17.5" in the chest and a 14 neck, while the S is 19.5" in the chest and 14.5 neck. The ROTM rep told me to get the XS, while others have said to get the S. I am torn because this isn't a problem for just ROTM but for everywhere I go.

All help is really appreciated guys. Thank you.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

So buy ones without working buttonholes.

Made-to-measure shirts is the answer. Moderntailor.com is a company I'm very happy with.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. Panzer

Panzer Active Member

Hi guys, does anyone know where you can still get color block shirts I they're called at under $100? Thanks

5. Philip

Philip Senior member

6. onix

onix Senior member

Is there any point in the recent history that Church's/Cheaney share a factory with Crockett & Jones?

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

Are you allergic to one of them?

8. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

ask milecargo

9. BladeShakur

BladeShakur New Member

Hi,

I find Ralph Lauren small custom fit shirts slightly too long and maybe a touch baggy (5'6 65kg) is there anything you can recommend that is a touch slimmer and shorter? Or would it be an option to just hit a tailor. Selection of brands is limited being in NZ. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. ar3nbe

ar3nbe Member

Hey guys,

Just after a hand on some AE sizing. I fit a 11D quite well on the number 4 last. From what I read the number 5 last is longer and narrower. So should I go a 11E or a 10.5E ?

For a bit of background I fit a loake 026 last size 10 and an AS 99 last size 10. Using the AE online size chart my toe is just touching the 10.5 line.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Dark blues, especially in jeans, still look best with a brown shoe, or more accurately, not black. Brown or burgundy. A personal cooler weather favorite of mine is a pair of dirty bucks. Whatever the brown/ burgundy pair winds up being, they'll go with the chinos as well, and maybe the gray depending on the shoes. If you buy the tan bucks, probably not. If you buy burgundy penny loafers (a great option IMO), yes. I'll also throw out boat shoes, though those are a little incongruous with the cool weather, camp mocs, and a heavy wingtip- vintage florsheim being a good recommendation there. Usually readily available for not too much money, better quality than any factory shoe made in the US today, and a great classic shoe.

The black requires a black shoe. I wear black jeans a fair bit, nearly always with a black penny loafer. I also wear gray canvas sneakers or a classic black puma sneaker on occasion. Horribly wet and nasty days bring out a plain toe blucher with a rubber sole. The black shoes will also go with anything gray.

As for the jacket, make sure it fits you well. Stylistically, it's up to you. There are a huge number of options for casual jackets. I have a black leather, a brown leather, and a brown canvas field jacket in the casual realm, along with an armada of sweaters and casual sportcoats (mostly tweed, one corduroy, one moleskin). I like the idea of a peacoat, I've occasionally toyed with the idea myself, they're classic items and hard to go wrong with.

12. onix

onix Senior member

Come across this brand that is traditionally/always made by Church's/Cheaney, but all other details suggest Crockett & Jones.

Why? Skimmed through his profile, nothing seems to suggest that he would know.

13. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

[​IMG]
    just received my first pair of suede shoes
    herring reading in chocolate brown suede

yay or nay on wearing these with a regular suit? i have a navy suit i can wear them with
    [​IMG]

14. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I have decided to buy a pair of C&J Belgraves. Both C&J and Pediwear list the shoe for 345 pounds (ex VAT) which is about $553 dollars. Is it true that Pediwear will pricematch and take 5% off the Plal price? Plal lists the Belgrave at 1499 ringgits, which is $479. It seems a little too good to be true, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

WAYW like a month or two ago he wore a "color block" shirt by Lacoste with a tie. I also think I have seen him in a different shirt of the same style. Horrid look IMO, but he seems to be the resident expert or at least the only one willing to admit to owning them here.