• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jdsher

Reaction score
My son's Bar Mitzvah is in about a month and I'd like to buy a couple of suits. The event has two parts; both formal, one is in the evening and one is the afternoon. I was wondering if I should go with darker colors for the evening event and lighter colors for the afternoon event? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Jon

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My son's Bar Mitzvah is in about a month and I'd like to buy a couple of suits. The event has two parts; both formal, one is in the evening and one is the afternoon. I was wondering if I should go with darker colors for the evening event and lighter colors for the afternoon event? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Jon

I don't think that is needed. I say charcoal, and navy are suitable for most any occasions. Much more versatile.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

anybody where i can get loafers like this on the left?

Stubbs and Wooten. Del Toro. Rugby RL. Might not be the exact shoes but a good place to start.

PS. Those are house shoes.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic's return policy specifies that they only take returns up to 60 days past the purchase date. If I bring my items to the store, will they actually enforce this and not give me a return?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a cap toe lace-up boot to go with businesss casual wear.  Though they could not be more different and probably should not be used in the same sentence, I've lked tthe RedWing Iron Rangers and the Peal Cordovan Boots.  I looked at the Alden Cordovvan boots but the leather felt too flimsy and looked too hipster for what I want.   Does anyone have any other high-end suggestions? Ideally I'd like a lifetime heal replacement warranty.  Thanks for your help, and sosrry for the typos -bt keyboard is slow.

FWIW the Iron Ranger is a narrow boot. It's not a cap toe, but the Wolverine 1000 Mile boot is another to consider and IMO is more versatile. It is still a work boot, but IMO can be worn a bit dressier than the Iron Ranger. I have both and the IR is rougher and cruder than the 1000 Mile.

Why a heel warranty? I bought several pairs of plastic heel taps from ebay. Put those on the heel, wear until almost worn out, replace. That's my heel warranty.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Banana Republic's return policy specifies that they only take returns up to 60 days past the purchase date. If I bring my items to the store, will they actually enforce this and not give me a return?

Give it a try and hope for a non-confrontational type BR employee. That is a pretty lousy return policy BTW.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Hi SF, need your help desperately for tailoring advice!

So I nabbed this suit off eBay recently, and the seller's measurements were a tad misleading and I ended up getting a size too large of a suit. I was wondering how feasible it was to make this suit workable. What do y'all think about the fit right now? I'm thinking if I leave the shoulders alone I could at least take in the waist a little bit and slim the sleeves, but looking at the photos now they look semi-passable, with just a wide shoulder.

Thoughts? I'm way more used to wearing soft-shouldered suits, and this is rather new for me. Thanks all!

(Also, all you 40Rs out there, if this doesn't work out for me... ;) )

jc4jax

Reaction score
Bonobos is having a sale currently and I came accross these trousers labled as "wedding trousers." I have tried looking around online and couldn't find a definition of this type of pants. Assuming they are same as the other pants on sale (brushed twill), is there any difference since they do not seem formal to warrant a "wedding trousers" moniker.

Last edited:

McBindle

Reaction score
Desu describes these trousers a having a single forward pleat. Is this the same as a scissor pleat?

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Anybody have info on this Burberry travel bag? I couldn't find anything that matched this item anywhere. Thanks!

Last edited:

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Yes which is the reason why I'm looking to see how much it's worth so I can sell it. I got it as a gift

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads