Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

+1 for light (flannel!) trousers. Light blue shirt, plain brown tie, brown suede shoes, done. :)

2. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Senior member

I bought a cream v-neck sweat from Uniqlo. I have bought previous sweaters from them before so didn't think to try it on. Unfortunately, because this is a lighter colour my shirt underneath shows through (especially the buttons!).

Is there any use for this sweater whatsoever? It looks particularly dreadful with a pink shirt underneath, a white shirt less so but still not wearable.

Also, consider this a warning ;)

3. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

Two quick questions from a newbie :)

1) Is it appropriate to steam clothings that have already been worn? (most especially sweaters and sportscoats)

2) I just started wearing v-neck sweater over shirts. When I do this with jeans, should I leave the shirt tucked or untucked?

4. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

I want my wife to start buying and wearing quality brands, but I find it extremely hard to wade through all the trendy designers making poor quality clothes & accessories. Do quality brands exist in the women's market?

For example we went winter boot shopping for brown riding boots and I tried finding her some "quality" & "classic" boots that would last years with maintenance but I fell short and we ended up buying some Steve Madden partial leather (not genuine I'm sure) boots for (~$180) that will probably fall apart before the end of the season.

I hate looking at everything we buy for her and seeing the price tag then looking at the materials and country of origin and all I see is polyurethane crap & Made in China.

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Check the B/S here on SF. Steve Smith has some BB leather riding boots for around $200, great quality too :)

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

The term "quality" gets thrown around a lot here. It's dizzying to think of the different levels of "quality" or "craftsmanship" within our comfort zone of menswear. When you step into womenswear the confusion is only heightened.

I date a girl that wears very expensive clothes and generally has impeccable taste. I am told by my girl friends that she is a great dresser and that they are envious of her wardrobe, etc, etc. However, when examining her clothes the vast majority are pure garbage in terms of the "quality" this forum extols in menswear. This however, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Women are far more likely to wear the same item of clothing only a few times. They have no problem buying cheap tops, shoes and even staple items like jeans because they are aware that they will want more and new as soon as the season changes (if they can even wait that long). Inversely, a man can buy a suit for $5,000 and never need to replace it if he takes care of it correctly. As men we are much more likely to buy quality and buy in smaller amounts. There is often a great amount of charm and style associated with a fraying shirt collar or the patina of a great pair of shoes for men. For women, this is not the case.

The fundamental problem you encounter when trying to push "quality" is fashion vs. style. Here we beat into our heads that what we are doing is about style and never about fashion (pardon the occasional "trendy" item). Women on the other hand are all about "the latest fashion". They read God-awful magazines and spend hours in stores like Forever 21 to procure 1,000 items for $1,000 that are all in the correct cut or color of the moment. When it comes to dressing well men and women simply exist on two different plains (at least when examining stereotypical SF norms vs. stereotypical "well dressed" women norms).

While it may not hurt to have your wife invest in well made jeans or outerwear or boots as mentioned above, do remember that most of the items she loves today she might well hate tomorrow. Remember time has the greatest impact on ROI. ;)

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I've always felt that It's sad how females are treated in the clothing world. They settle for horrendous quality for the sake of fashion bragging rights. But that is how they made the game for them selves. I see mens clothing full of content in comparison. I assume it's because we need more help justifying purchases, instead of being bamboozled by fashion trends :D

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I like this post, great points.

9. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great post. Personally I'm not fond of many women's "fashion trends" and prefer my woman to look classic and elegant but at the end of the day it's her choice. One of my issues with it is the prices that some of these companies charge for their crap. I have no problem with a 1 season pair of boots, but why do they have to be $200? I suppose there are always stores like Forever 21 and H&M, but I've been trying to pull her away from them for years because personally I can't stand being in them. Maybe it's just me being selfish :D.

10. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

:slayer: :fonz:

that was very clear and a great read :)

11. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

I'm looking for a pair of dress shoes in black. Budget is $200. Where would be a good place to start looking? I know I'm not going to get the greatest, most comfortable shoes but my current shoes are very uncomfortable.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

12. jslade

jslade Senior member

Hey guys,

Can someone let me know from these two pictures whether or not these pants have a "split waistband," and as such, can be taken out in the waist?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

have you tried on allen edmonds shoes? if you like the AE fit and style, message "allaboutshoes" on this forum and ask him about the model, size, and color of the one you want you can get most of them for $230-245 first quality, brand new in box with the shoe bags i just ordered a pair of AE horsebit loafers (the verona model) through him and received them very quickly and saved $100

14. wogmail

wogmail Active Member

Has anyone here seen a suit coat with only one side pocket flap on it? Ebay purchase, all in all very nice suit (in my inexperienced opinion). I took it to the tailor before realizing the oddity of only have a pocket flap on one side (I know, how could I have possibly missed that!). Is this some sort of freak-suit?

It is Burberry London, if the brand matters.

Thanks,
    Bill

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yes, that is a split waistband. There looks to be about 1.5 inches seam allowance on either side so you could probably let them out as much as 3 inches, though that much might space the back pockets oddly far apart.

Sounds very weird. You could always have the one flap removed, or just keep it tucked into the pocket.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011