1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Going MTM for a tuxedo, unfortunately only satin lapels are available, choice of midnight wool or black wool/mohair, question is would you go double breast shawl or single breast shawl, feel like the satin lapels in a DB would be a bit much, what do you think?

2. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I tried on some Santoni shoes at nordstrom today, and they both looked fantastic and seemed very sturdy. Anybody have any experience with this label? The price is a little under $600.

3. newintown23

newintown23 Senior member

4. diglett

diglett Senior member

Quoting this in hopes that I can get some feedback--sorry if this bump is too soon.

Any help on the sizing, guys? If they're going to break in, I'll wear them, which I'm itching to do, but I can't do that unless I'm sure; I (obviously) won't be able to return them if I go out with them on.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

have you tried searching the forum for "heel slip"?

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

fit looks more than ok on the pictures. nobody can take away your perceptions, though, as shoe fit is much more individual than clothes fitting, imo. try to get as much carpet time as possible with them, only time can tell.

7. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

What tie to wear with a navy cotton suit? Silk ones seem not appropiate somehow. Brown/blue/orange cotton tie?

8. moizak

moizak Active Member

Hi guys, I'm a noob trying to improve my woeful wardrobe of clothing. I am currently trying to expand my selection of shirts, as I am trying to wear a shirt everyday as opposed to the t-shirts I was wearing a few months ago.

I run my own business, which doesn't involve a lot of client interaction so I won't be wearing business style suits (though I'd like to eventually try wearing a more casual style of suit on occasion) and so I'd like to buy less dress shirts and more of a casual style shirt to be worn with various knitwear etc & trousers, chinos or jeans. I went into a local TM Lewin yesterday to get an idea of size and to my surprise found that I am a 14.5" collar (that's surprising as I am 6ft tall and weight 170lbs).

My question is what is my best solution for casual shirts? The places that I can afford to shop (Uniqlo, Gap, BR, outlets and sales) tend to size by the wonderful S, M, L method. I tried on a OCBD in Uniqlo in both a small and a medium, the collar on the medium was too big, the chest in the small was too small.

I guess I am just looking for a little direction.....should I look at regular billowy casual shirts in a small, where the collar fits and then just alter them (pinch and pin or taken to a tailor, though that seems a little excessive seeing as how little I am trying to pay for the shirts) or do I keep hunting for a shirt that fits me? Or do I try and lose another 10lbs so I can get into those Uniqlo shirts that are on offer?

Lurking on here for the last month or so has made me aware of how important fit is and I refuse to buy anything now unless I think it fits me pretty well.

(I am aware that is a rambling question, not a quick one but it still is not worth starting a new thread for, is it?)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

^^^ 6 ft, 170 doesn't sound like a 14.5 inch neck to me. I would measure again before I bought a shirt which I couldn't try on before purchase.

Buy an Extra Slim Fit or Slim Fit Brooks Brothers OCBD (oxford cloth button down) on B&S. They can be had for $45 each. IMO the made in USA BB OCBD is the most versatile shirt out there.

10. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Find a way to exercise your neck. Seriously. There is no OTR I can think of that's going to make a size that fits you. I'm a little taller than you, and about 15 lbs lighter, with a neck that's two inches larger and even I have trouble finding shirts that fit.

BTW how is TM Lewin, I keep seeing them and thinking cheeeeeep but if they're crap I don't wanna buy them.

11. moizak

moizak Active Member

Unfortunately it is correct, I'm wearing a 15" ted baker shirt currently, it hasn't been through a wash cycle yet and I can comfortably put two finger under the collar with room to spare.
    I think as I may have mentioned to you in a couple of posts on the MC Casual thread, I am trying to bulk up my upper body, particularly my shoulders that were thought to be too narrow. Maybe that will lead to my collar size increasing. I think I'll just have to put off dressing well for a few more months and have to accept dressing average for now. As for quality of TM Lewin, I haven't bought from them before so I can't say though at 5 shirts for £100 they seemed the right price. Unfortunately I was unsure if I wanted 5 dress shirts and the fit wasn't quite right so I passed them up.

12. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this conservative enough for job interviews, normal formal events, etc?

thanks

13. diglett

diglett Senior member

I hadn't even considered that, but I'll do it right now. Thanks.

Will do. Thanks.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

Yes.

15. clotheshound

clotheshound Active Member

Hi guys !

What are the most expensive fabrics with which to build a man's jacket?
    How do they rank from most expensive to least expensive?

In no particular order:
    Wool, linen, silk, polyester, cashmere, merino wool, flax,

Thanks

16. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

I'm thinking about buying this C&J belt, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

17. Steve Smith

:lurk:

18. Steve Smith

19. RoddyMac

RoddyMac Member

Absolutely. Make sure your tie is as well and probably best to stick with a white shirt. Just my suggestion.

20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

not sure it's more expensive than the ass-fuzz wool of the virgin fairy nymphs of Atlantis, but the Hosni Mubarak pinstripes will reportedly run you around $25,000.
    [​IMG]

srsly tho' I believe Vicuna is the most expensive wool fabric at around $4,000/yard.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/worlds-most-expensive-suit-for-indian-tyc/723379/