1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ritchee

Ritchee Distinguished Member

What does crotch blowout mean? I've read about it may times, such as "I had crotch blowout on my XXX jeans." I can only guess it means the crotch on my jeans ripped. Is that right? I know dumb question but I'm asking it> hey thanks!

2. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

I am a college student looking to stock up on business clothing for when I have interviews and eventually get a job, which will be finance related and require shirt and tie. I unfortunately don't have the money to go out and drop $500 on a suit, shirt and tie especially when I could use 3 or 4. Right now I just have a cheap J. Ferrar suit (~$120, polyester), 4-5 cheaper dress shirts, 4-5 ties and 1 pair of dress shoes. Do you guys suggest me saving up for a nice 100% wool suit? Or would I be better off getting a few suits like I got (~$120 range) and stock up on dress shirts, ties and shoes? Right now I'm looking at a nice 100% wool suit, 100 or 120 thread count or whatever that is in the $300 range. If I could that I wouldn't be able to afford anything else for a while. I figured you guys would be able to tell me which is the best route to go. Thanks!

3. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Distinguished Member

What's the current thought on "critique my fit" threads? Getting ready to jump into MTM shirts and want some feedback on what I need to request based on a current OTR shirt. Likely going mytailor and no chance of an "in-person" measurement. Fit thread seems a bit much, but maybe that's the best place.

4. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

If you want very slim shirts, then send me a picture in PM, I'll give you feedback.

5. black_umbrella

I'll take you up on that.

6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Distinguished Member

looking for sub $100 wool pants in modern fit (slimmer, flat front ... no grandpa style)
    quality should be at least on par with brooks brothers gabardine pants
    i bought some of the BB madison wool pants but... they aren't exactly the most flattering pants fit wise
    looking for brands i can find in brick & mortar stores... i don't want to buy pants that i have never tried on before

7. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

You won't find it in LA. If you raise your budget a bit you can try ShopTheFinest.com warehouse in Santa Monica. Give Ian a call, he has a bunch of Borrellis and Incotex/Mabitex there.

8. black_umbrella

Jcrew? Hate to say it, but it might work. They can be had cheaply on sale and if you're some more standard size. Try them on though, they are a bit all over with respect to sizing regularity.

9. Juba

Juba Member

Thanks for clearing that up. My main concern was that I have been wearing the wrong jacket size all these years. And since chest size is the first criteria, then my suit size is indeed 38L, and hopefully I will find brands that fit better.

10. XKxRome0ox

grrrr
    this is one of the few times i dislike living in LA... get shafted when it comes to access to "better" clothing

how much more than $100 are we talking here for those pants?

11. black_umbrella

If you're above 100, Howard yount?

12. XKxRome0ox

looking for a physical store i can walk into and try on

13. Spurious

Spurious Senior Member

14. deburn

deburn Senior Member

When lengthening the sleeves of a jacket or the hem of a pant, will a crease show or can that be ironed away? In other words, there is an existing crease, and when you let out the sleeve/hem will that crease now be visible?

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Distinguished Member

You should, in most cases, be able to press out the old crease.