Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

that much i gathered... but... i need concrete examples
    is it ... how the front of the jacket splits back open after being buttoned?
    or ... how the jacket hangs in front of the body?
    i need visual help

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

is it the way your lapels come down i.e. "high button stance" and "low button stance" ?

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

No.

Below the bottom button, the front of most jackets will cut back to some extent. If, below the buttons, the coat continues in a straight line down and ends with an angle (like a double breasted jacket might), that's the extreme of closed. The more those edges are cut back, the more open the quarters are.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

thanks!

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I found my alterations person before I found sf. I bought a Lauren RL suit at K & G before an event I was attending and she did the adjustments for the suit. K & G contracts the alterations out but they handle the payments through the registers. They have a menu board at the register that lists the prices for all of the alterations that they do. It's two tiered as each item costs a dollar or two less if the item was purchased at K & G but they will do items brought in from outside.

My M.O. after my first outside piece was done was to give her a cash tip of around 20% of the total. She protested but finally accepted it. After the second time, she put her foot down and said no more money so now I bring her muffins, a sandwich from the Panera Bread joint next door, etc. Now she does things for me like rush jobs without charging (I found my BB Loro Piana navy blazer the day before my trip to Italy and she busted ass to do the sleeves and suppression.) and she gives me discounts or at least, the instore pricing. She even told me she'd slim some shirts for me for $15! That's cheaper than the tailor that I was planning to use until I found she would do it.

There are things she can't / won't do. She can't raise arm holes on jackets, shorten the length or change the quarters, etc. I had to practically force her to give me no break on the pants and I think she still cheats a little break in regardless. She slims the legs and tapers from the knee down. We have gone a couple of rounds when I tell her that I want something done that's outside of her normal comfort zone. Fortunately, her background makes her familiar with the fit favored by most of sf so I usually get my way without too much hassle.

I took my brother in law to her and he had 3 sport coats done (sleeves / waist suppression / excess fabric removed from below the collar), a pair of slacks tapered and a suit modified to MY standards except they refused to slim the legs :mad: to my specs but all in all, not too shabby. He paid $135 for it all as she gave him some breaks in the pricing since I brought him in.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you find someone who does work that meets your needs, develop a relationship with them and you'll be miles ahead. [​IMG]

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

6. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

Whats a nice casual shoe to wear out on a date or night out? I use my laceups for interviews and work, could I use them for nights out as well or would loafers or monk straps be better?

7. beachape

beachape Member

I have narrow feet and am interested in the Indy Boot. Do the Alden Indy Boots come in B width? The narrowest that Alden and shoemart lists is a C. However, http://www.rennersbootsshoes.com/al405ibo.html lists a B width. Why would they have B width if Alden doesn't even list it? Thanks!

8. destiny7

destiny7 Well-Known Member

Fall/WInter Winter Jacket suggestions needed. I am looking to buy Navy Blue winter jackets in Toronto. Thank You

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It is how the front edges curve away to the sides. The most closed quarters will be entirely vertical down the centre front with no gap between them at all. Most DB coats have a vertical front edge like this, but it doesn't look very good on SBs. The more open quarters, the wider the fronts spread apart.

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i see
    *looking down at my own suit*
    i have open quarters!
    :slayer:

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

There's no right/wrong answer to this as is. It really depends what else you are wearing. What sort of clothes do you wear out on a date or a night out? Shoes have to go with what you are wearing, so the more information you give us about clothes, the easier it will be to give you advice about shoes.

Josh

12. Cookiemostar

Cookiemostar New Member

Just updated my wardrobe with some new stuff, brown leather Timbaland boots etc. Should I get a matching brown belt to mach the shoes? Mainly going to wear them with jeans.

As of now I only got a black rather thin belt. Thanks!

13. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

I usually wear some chinos or corduroy with some sort of light sweater or t shirt and a blazer. Rarely do I wear a button down with a.blazer. I might pull on some raw denim jeans.but very rare that I do that.usually date night consist of dinner and a sort of entertainment. (movie, comedy club, improb club, dancing). I am favorable to light colored clothing as well, pink, purple, blue, very light gray.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It's not really a binary option; there are varying degrees of openness.

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

yea
    but now that i know exactly what open and closed quarters are, i know what i'm looking for

i don't know what is the most "desirable" amount of openness
    all my suits have a slight open quarter
    enough to show the belt buckle, i guess