Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. onix

onix Senior member

Half brogues are essential IMO.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Suede semi-brogue if I were you :). A brown cap toe would also be good. To be honest, we need to know more about your occupation to comment, however.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. gezuz

gezuz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm an accountant in Seattle, so suede shoes are not too bueno during the fall/winter/some of spring, and I usually look pretty professional. I will look into half brogues and captoes.

4. The Suit Guy

The Suit Guy Member

I have (more like had when it was thick) a very similar type of hair and have found good success with 'hairplay' molding paste by KMS california. http://www.kmscalifornia.com/en-US/products/usage/style-mold-shape.3.38.detail.aspx However, I don't know if it is available in Oz. Hope this helps.

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

Completely revamping my footwear (men's clothing wise).

I NEVER wear black and don't work in an office setting nor dress shoe environment, so a black shoe is sort of unnecessary to me. My dress shoes are just for when I want to wear them, meeting with professors, going out, etc. Was sort of making everything work with brown wingtips prior to this.

Would these be two solid choices as far as versatility and styling is concerned? Would appreciate any advice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

What happened to the list of shoe manufacturers and bespoke makers that used to be a "sticky" on this board?

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Stumbled across a pair of Brooks Brothers Peal & Co. "Made in Italy" shoes. Anyone know who makes the "Made in Italy" shoes?

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

A double monk is pretty versatile, but the second is dressy. Some guys wear dressier shoes with casual stuff but it always looks off to me.

The 348 is relatively sleek/pointy, so you might consider how that would play with your style. Would look weird with full-cut khakis, for instance.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Double Monks are sweet! I think they would look better with jeans or chinos too, in case you want a more versatile shoe.

10. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

How should Jack Purcells fit at first?

I tried some 10.5s and while the length was good, they felt tight near the front of the foot. So, I tried on some 11s, and while those felt better width-wise, there was at least an inch of space extra in front of my toes.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yes/No to etiher of these two? Band of Outsider ties, 100% Viscose, made in Italy.

Hoping to wear it for more business casual environment/situations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$69 on Gilt, but I have some credit that will knock it down to $49+free shipping.

Or any other recommendations for similar ties?

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I still don't understand why the most expensive fashun brands always seem to be made of the least desirable synthetic materials. For $70, you could surely find something nice made of cotton or wool?

*No hate, just genuine confusion

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My wife has been trying to move into nicer stuff, and it seems like synthetics are almost ubiquitous in women's clothing. I understand that some of it has to do with structuring the garment, but surely it's possible to give a dress some shape without making it majority synthetic.

14. onix

onix Senior member

Because their main purposes are not quality or durability, it's about the look, the brand, and what's "in" this season. And this is especially true for women's fashion clothing. Frankly, nothing wrong with that, different people have different priorities.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

$69 for viscose? Unless you just love 'em, I'd suggest passing. You can get striped silk knits for less than $20 regularly. I'd even suggest the $15 ones at Tie Bar over those. Or check out B&S or eBay. Polo knits are pretty common.

As for Purcells, I would not buy a pair that was tight. They don't stretch like leather shoes. The rubber footbed is the rubber footbed.