• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a black DB trench coat in a thrift yesterday with no label other than the size (40R) and the fabric content/care instructions. No country of origin and no maker's label. It had a blue felt liner that buttoned in instead of zipping. It also had a detachable blue felt collar that buttoned on above the real collar. There were two inside buttons for the db and the belt had additional strapping to hole it in place in the belt loops. All of the buckles on the straps were black but the color was wearing off to show some ivory underneath.

It looked like this, exactly except for the color of the lining and there was no coat hook chain.

Honestly, it looked 30 years old if a day but was in very good condition. The thing that jumps out, though, is that the raincoat's main lining was in a Burberry print! Would an older model not have a label? I can't even see where it may have been removed. The whole thing was probably the highest quality piece of rainwear I've ever tried on.

Any opinions?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.

Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand.

+1

It might even be by a brand which doesn't exist anymore, but if it's good quality and looks good then who cares who made it...

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I missing something on the Brooks Brothers Friends and Family sale or are several items more expensive during this sale? One example are the wool gabardine trousers, which are normally 2 for $230 ($115 per pair), but are now $126 (25% off the $168 price) and no discount for buying two pairs. Same goes with shirts, which are more expenisve now than if I use the 3 for $220 deal and my corporate 15% membership. Am I missing something?
I was able to purchase four sweaters at the normal two-for $499 price x 2 and using discount code 11FRIEND I obtained the 25% discount also - 09FRIEND didn't work for me. I recall reading on the BB site that one can't bundle the corporate and friends & family discounts, but you know it's always worth a go.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.

Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.

+1

It might even be by a brand which doesn't exist anymore, but if it's good quality and looks good then who cares who made it...

You guys are probably right since it's been raining torrents this morning. I drove by on the way to somewhere else but didn't stop back in to check. As good as it looked on me, it seems that somewhere in the past two months, I've become a size 38 and I'm trying to be more selective in my thrifting. It either fits, is extremely flippable or it goes back on the rack.

My question was more informational than anything else, I guess.

Last edited:

Bongo

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for suit hangers. Not looking to win any awards for quality but want something decent and good value. Thanks in advance.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look on Buy and Sell, there are several people trying to sell theirs.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.

You can stretch leather shoes a little in the width, just be careful that you do it only a little at a time so you don't do it too much. Either buy a shoe stretcher or take them to a cobbler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads