• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about these Sperrys?

What type / color shoes are acceptable wear for light grey wool trousers?

My typical response would be something along the lines of: "Nobody I know wears wing-tips or probably even knows what wing-tips are and I feel like I don't have the confidence in my own style yet to successfully wear a shoe that all of my peers would gawk at." My attitude (read as fear) towards fashion might be partially holding me back. I do like wing-tips when I see other people wearing them, but I feel like I don't know how to properly wear & pair them. Would something like these AE McTavish (in Natural) be acceptable to wear with or without socks, with chinos?

Don't feel like you have to if you're not comfortable. Work your way up, getting used to dressing better is a process for most of us. The biggest part to pulling it off is confidence. If you don't feel natural with what you're wearing, then you're gonna come off as uncomfortable. Small steps is best. You came here, so you're clearly ready to take a step from where you are. After taking this step, you'll become comfortable taking the next one at some point, and you can make the jump then.

But those wingtips are in a more casual leather, and as such are intended for more casual use. I wouldn't wear the natural ones with a suit. But with chinos? Hell yeah.

On the loafers note, penny loafers are my go to, and I'm younger than you. Don't worry about the old man bit. Shockingly, things that come off as old mannish when worn by an older man take on an entirely different context when worn by a young one. ;)

I tend to recommend Bass. For the price, it's pretty hard to find a better shoe.
http://www.zappos.com/bass-logan-tan-leather
http://www.zappos.com/bass-gorham-dark-brown
http://www.zappos.com/product/7505634/color/216

Give burgundy consideration for color as well. In regards to what shade of brown goes with mid and light grays; pretty much all of them.

Last edited:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased some argyle socks today. Please rate my purchases:

Photo%20Sep%2018%2C%208%2006%2056%20PM.jpg

Background:
- 22-yo male
- First job/slowly building my wardrobe
- Business casual office environment
- One pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds (I wear these pretty much everyday)

How does one match socks to his outfit? I know the basic rule of thumb is to match the color of your socks with your pants, but my go-to color for pants is charcoal gray and I'm on the prowl for some dark brown ones. I almost never wear black because I don't like to wear black shoes.

For example, can I wear the dark brown/orange argyle socks (third from left) with gray pants and dark brown shoes?

Left to right: Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, No, What Argyle.
As to matching, I think one color of the argyle should match or be complimentary to your pants color. Depending on the shade of grey, I'd say just about all of those would not be terrible with the pants you describe.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(...) I am thinking about getting a pair of boat shoes for the day and a pair of loafers (what style?) for night that I can wear with or without socks, and keep it pretty casual but smart. Does this sound right? I'm not sure what color (brown, but what shade?) to get, to best match everything (if possible). Hoping to keep it around ~$100 for each pair of shoes, but flexible. Any advice?

AE Westchester in brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1607_1_40000000001_-1

above what you said, but *cough* this shoe is real nice.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Left to right: Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, No, What Argyle.
As to matching, I think one color of the argyle should match or be complimentary to your pants color. Depending on the shade of grey, I'd say just about all of those would not be terrible with the pants you describe.

Thanks for the response. As to your yess and nos, are those in response to my question of whether the socks would match with my outfit? Or are they just simple expressions of approval/disapproval?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I've always been interested in fashion an envious of those who dress well but Ive always worked from home & have a pretty casual lifestyle in a "very casual" Canadian city. For that reason, I don't get to "dress up" as much as I'd like --or rather, never. I've been lurking SF for a while now trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can while still sticking to my own personal style opinions.

Anyways, one thing I've always had a problem picking is shoes, and for that reason I feel like I have no good shoes. I'm headed to a wedding in a couple months down in the caribbean and looking to give my wardrobe a little revamp in anticipation. I guess I am sort of using it to "test out my style".

During the days (when not at the pool/ocean) I plan to wear shorts or linen beach pants with a polo or a simple v-neck t-shirt. In the evenings, I plan to wear some light beige chinos (I know most here hate chinos), navy blue chinos, light grey wool pants (bad for resort wear?) with a nice button up.

What I'm lacking, is shoes for the trip. I am thinking about getting a pair of boat shoes for the day and a pair of loafers (what style?) for night that I can wear with or without socks, and keep it pretty casual but smart. Does this sound right? I'm not sure what color (brown, but what shade?) to get, to best match everything (if possible). Hoping to keep it around ~$100 for each pair of shoes, but flexible. Any advice?

You should take a look at Italian bit loafers, in case the penny loafers feel too old school for you. Price will be tricky though, but surely a successful young man like yourself can manage :D

likeaboss

Reaction score

Don't feel like you have to if you're not comfortable. Work your way up, getting used to dressing better is a process for most of us. The biggest part to pulling it off is confidence. If you don't feel natural with what you're wearing, then you're gonna come off as uncomfortable. Small steps is best. You came here, so you're clearly ready to take a step from where you are. After taking this step, you'll become comfortable taking the next one at some point, and you can make the jump then.

But those wingtips are in a more casual leather, and as such are intended for more casual use. I wouldn't wear the natural ones with a suit. But with chinos? Hell yeah.

On the loafers note, penny loafers are my go to, and I'm younger than you. Don't worry about the old man bit. Shockingly, things that come off as old mannish when worn by an older man take on an entirely different context when worn by a young one. ;)

I tend to recommend Bass. For the price, it's pretty hard to find a better shoe.
http://www.zappos.com/bass-logan-tan-leather
http://www.zappos.com/bass-gorham-dark-brown
http://www.zappos.com/product/7505634/color/216

Give burgundy consideration for color as well. In regards to what shade of brown goes with mid and light grays; pretty much all of them.

I cannot thank you enough for the great advice. I was a little worried about being jumped on by the SF mob.

likeaboss

Reaction score

AE Westchester in brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1607_1_40000000001_-1

above what you said, but *cough* this shoe is real nice.

Those sure are nice.......:nodding:

You should take a look at Italian bit loafers, in case the penny loafers feel too old school for you. Price will be tricky though, but surely a successful young man like yourself can manage :D

Thanks for the suggestion. I do prefer classic looks, I'm not sure the bit loafers are for me. As far as the price I mentioned, it was mainly because I'm concerned my lack of shoe buying experience will end me up with something I don't like/won't wear and will end up being a waste of money. Nobody likes to waste money. But I appreciate your humor.

hellodocks

Reaction score
Snaffle bit loafers are actually pretty tasteful. Penny loafers are just classic all around, and if you get a fullstrap shoe like the Westchester it's classier still.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the response. As to your yess and nos, are those in response to my question of whether the socks would match with my outfit? Or are they just simple expressions of approval/disapproval?

Approval/Disapproval. I don't like the black and red so much, and am not crazy about the smaller argyle. In a casual or business casual setting, I think all could go well with grey, depending on the shade of grey.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try 12+. Or 3+. Or 0+

Seriously, argyle socks are classic for all ages. Just because you associate them with your hated uncle doesn't mean they have to be out of bounds for the rest of us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads