Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kb11235

kb11235 Member

Anyone know where this can be found? I know it is from j.press f/w11, but I can't seem to find it on their website.

[​IMG]

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Both.

3. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Under normal conditions, after how many wearings should I expect to need my worsted wool suits dry cleaned?

4. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Hi

Would any of you know; it is possible to change bands on all or almost all wristwatchs out there, or would i need to look at the individual watch to see if this one is able? Assume that i own a Spring Bar Tool

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

There is no set number of wears, they should not need to be cleaned at all unless they become noticeably dirty.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I need so much help! Side note first, I'm visiting the site after months and I don't like this complicated layout lol!

I used to visit the streetwear section but now I am graduating from University and applying for jobs. So I am expecting to attend interviews. I need a suit that means! Basically need to build an interview wardrobe.

Shoes:

Thinking about Allen Edmonds McAllister wingtips in walnut. Any other shoes recommendations around the $200-300 price range will be nice. But am I really supposed to buy these without even trying them on somewhere?

Suit:

No clue? I am in Toronto, Canada. Where am I supposed to go?

I want a modern fit as I am skinny guy (6'0 tall). Thinking grey but I'm open to suggestions. It will be my first suit...any links to threads would be appreciated as well. What is the price range for a good quality suit that isnt too costly that will fit my needs?

7. Unsanforized

Unsanforized Active Member

Two immediate responses: 1) at your age and for your purposes, you shouldn't be buying a suit that is too expensive to grow out of; and 2) unless you are absolutely certain your proportions will change dramatically in the next sixth months -- e.g., you are enrolling in Marine boot camp or starting a sawdust and beer diet to star in a stage rendition of Raging Bull -- size to fit now, not later. Once you nab those jobs and make a little money, worry about real suiting.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks, makes sense. Would a Banana Republic suit suffice (~$300)? And then take it to a tailor to get some adjustments. Thats about how much I want to spend ($300-$500) on the suit.

9. Unsanforized

Sounds fine to me, although others here are surely more knowledgeable about bang-for-the-buck in that price range. You can also try for leftovers from Labor Day sales in major nearby department stores.

Your instinct is sound: a competent tailor, charging prices that are reasonable and customary for his level of work, is the most powerful weapon in a well-dressed person's wardrobe. Do note that a tailor's fees can add up.

10. Unsanforized

Another note: I've been a hiring manager for several years, and I would never make the following judgment: "Oh, this kid is wearing something from Men's Wearhouse; why didn't he have the good sense to go to Banana Republic or better?" Or, "Why isn't this kid wearing a tailored Isaia suit?" The only clothing-related negative judgment I'd make is if you didn't have the respect to show up to the interview looking neat and with at least the minimum formality for the occasion.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Certainly depends on the price range of watches you are looking at. In general though, I would say yes.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Never, provided you brush them after each wear and don't spill anything on them. Some people advocate dry cleaning after the season in which they were worn, however, and before you put them up for storage.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Find something on B&S, and have it tailored.

14. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

"pit-to-pit" It's the chest measurement of a jacket taken by measuring from under one armpit to the other.

15. MatchaPowder

MatchaPowder New Member

saw this in Esquire mag. anyone know the name/style of this Hugo Boss peacoat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]