Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I asked whether I should keep this blazer this a little bit ago, but I just found out I have a job interview Monday. The body has to come in a few inches - a tailor can do that no problem, right? My concern is that the pockets are placed over the side seams.

I don't want to take the tags off this thing if it can't actually be fitted to me.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think the body needs to come in at all. If anything the sleeves need to be shortened. If you do take in the body it is a simple alteration and the side/back seams would be taken in.

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I've got my right leg forward (it's a bad pic but I'm at work), making me look like I'm wider than I actually am. I could fit a baseball in the front of the jacket with me. The sleeves do need to come up, and maybe narrowed a bit.

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

That's how it's supposed to fit, you can go slimmer if you want but a jacket is not meant to be skin-tight.

5. hellodocks

hellodocks Senior member

Some of us aren't as full-figured as the vaunted "American" shape would make us...

6. TJS1589

TJS1589 Senior member

Hey Gents. Usually hang out on the street wear and denim side of this, but just recently have to buy a suit. I am a senior in college and am starting to go to interviews and searching career opportunities. Now my question is this, a size 39 suit fits me perfectly in the shoulders and a 40 is just slightly bigger in the shoulders. Should I get the one that fits perfect right now or go with the size 40 to grow into??? As I am still in college and I do workout a good bit, I figure I will get a little larger in the chest/shoulder area. Just do not know which one to pull the trigger on. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

7. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

a suit is not something you "grow into"
    but yeah... you're a senior in college, you aren't going to grow anymore... except maybe sideways :happy:
    if you seriously think your shoulders are going to get that much wider, then perhaps you need to get something cheap in size 39 for now and save your money

8. TJS1589

TJS1589 Senior member

See that's what I think, but I have people (family) are in my ear saying "Make sure you can wear it for more thank 1 year" and it is just making me 2nd guess myself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

9. hellodocks

hellodocks Senior member

Get what fits you now. I can't stress that strongly enough. One of the few things my father insisted on buying for me (college wasn't in there at all sadly) was an overcoat. He was adamant in getting me a 40 though I pointed out I've always been thin and lean because "I'd grow into it through college, I'd be wearing it over a suit, and it'd be great as I started my career." False. It has been years and the thing still doesn't fit me.

10. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Is there any way to unflatten a tie? Purchased some new ties, but they are flat.

11. Merovius

Merovius Active Member

Patch pockets: Trendy or Classic?

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Never mind on that remark, I got myself turned around with the buttons. As for the weird proportions, the original photos must have been taken at a really funny angle, making me think the bust (sorry, chest) was larger than it was, and the buttons were close together and very close to the bottom, making me think it was really short with a low button stance.

And with the closeup, I retract the felted wool remark too. Looks like it's just a really dense tweed. Which is, of course, the best kind.

13. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

^ don't feel TOO bad... that picture was a bit misleading
    although the button was on the correct side for a man's jacket

14. diniro

diniro Senior member

Should I get a fabric shaver to trim it down or is that how it's suppose to look?

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Leave it, that's how it's supposed to look.