• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Swan Song

Reaction score
era this labeling was used at the sock liner by Alan McAfee on his shoes. It has the polo player and address.

And

what does the term "Hand Benched" mean? RTW? or Bespoke?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It probably means nothing. It means bench grade, which is basically a person working on the shoe on a machine, which is standard.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
You can do better, though it might take some looking. I bought an Isaia jacket for just over $200 the other day. Also, if you're not dead-set on buying new clothes you can get even better quality for around $300. Check out eBay and B&S and know your sizing!

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Is a Hugo Boss blazer decent quality for $300 (down from 600) or can I do better for the money?
You can find much better options (and cheaper Hugo Boss) in B/S or on Yoox. But if the blazer fits you right and you like it, $300 is not completely horrible. I definitely would not spend that money on a hugo boss that you need to chop up to fit you correctly. I had a brand new made in Romania Hugo Boss suit for around $250 that fell apart pretty fast. I also found a $3 Made in USA Hugo Boss at a Thrift Store that has held up for years sans-shiny elbows - so I think quality has gone downhill a bit.

Last edited:

diniro

Reaction score
hello. I just bought this blazer on ebay. Just wondering what the material is. I thought the hair was from a pet but I think it's part of the material.

any idea? It's my best fitting blazer by far.

trash

Reaction score
is grey sharkskin (this color) too light for a wedding? it's later this month, and I believe it's an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. it's in the evening and I'd guess the sun will be on its way down during the outdoor portion, so I feel like a darker suit might be a better choice. I got a charcoal suit recently but I'm just not loving the fit so if the grey is acceptable I'd rather stick with it and invest in a better charcoal later on. I'm wondering if it would help to "darken" the grey by wearing black shoes, and a darker tie. it's at some sort of country club, going to be fairly small, so I don't want to stick out too much. I'm only going to know a couple of people there so there's a "who cares?" element, but I do want to dress properly, not just acceptably.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can do better, though it might take some looking. I bought an Isaia jacket for just over $200 the other day. Also, if you're not dead-set on buying new clothes you can get even better quality for around $300. Check out eBay and B&S and know your sizing!

details and pictures!

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a little wary of ebay/online shopping because I've never owned a blazer, so my chances of ******* up are pretty high. I would have to get the one I bought taken in at the sleeves/body though, so maybe I'll hold off on it.

Edit: Here's a pic.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

details and pictures!

3 roll 2.5, silk and linen blend (though it is not overly light and the color will be great for fall). Sorry for ****** pic, all I have at the moment.

a6890de8-dce0-09eb.jpg

Last edited:

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

I'm a little wary of ebay/online shopping because I've never owned a blazer, so my chances of ******* up are pretty high. I would have to get the one I bought taken in at the sleeves/body though, so maybe I'll hold off on it.

Edit: Here's a pic.
I think your chances of ******* up are pretty high even if you buy in-store at that price range. I have an in between chest size, with narrower shoulders, a longer torso with shorter arms. When noticing the in between chest size, the store "help" almost always defaulted to the larger size, which resulted in shoulders, arms and waist being way too large. Additionally, I do not think many store reps really understand how shoulders should fit at all. It's almost like store reps seem to think: "eh, you're a guy - one size bigger is always better when uncertain" --women would never shop this way, and any guy who isn't a rapper shouldn't either. After lots of money on tailoring, and almost everyone telling me my coat looked too large, I decided to start defaulting to the smaller size (provided the chest fit was not too snug), which worked out much better. I think there is often SOME compromise to make with OTR blazers, and you need to know your measurements to understand which compromise works best for you.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 roll 2.5, silk and linen blend (though it is not overly light and the color will be great for fall). Sorry for ****** pic, all I have at the moment.

a6890de8-dce0-09eb.jpg

forum b/s? ebay? store?
$200 seems like a great deal
are you a really odd size? or just extremely lucky?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

forum b/s? ebay? store?
$200 seems like a great deal
are you a really odd size? or just extremely lucky?

Kopped from B&S. There are still some gems, you just have to do some digging and know your way around a negotiation. I'd say lucky since I'm a 40R. :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads