Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

First think about getting the Macy's suits tailored. If they fit in the shoulder (not a given), you can have them taken in, sleeves and trousers shortened, etc. by a good tailor to make them look much better. This is likely to be your least expensive option.

The next part depends on your budget and what kind of work you do. BB is not a bad option for a conservative environment, but their suits, especially the lower prices ones, are kind of boxy. Again, make sure they fit in the shoulder and they can be slimmed to a point. Other readily available OTR places like J Crew or Rugby may be good for slimmer suits at decent prices, especially if you shop sales - which should start in October. I don't have experience with the MTM options you listed, but I would actually recommend finding something OTR. For a cautionary tale on internet based MTM, read this:
    http://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2011/09/neither-fish-nor-fowl-trouble-with.html

2. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Double post

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

3. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

4. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

WallyWorld here sometimes has really nice fat wooden ones for about $5. They're not always there, you have to check once in awhile.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

This type of shoe is called a monkstrap. The formality of a monkstrap is somewhere between an oxford and a slip-on, and it is debatable whether it is more or less formal than a derby. Although sleeker than your average derby, I feel that the 'uninitiated' treat monkstraps with a bit of skepticism and hesitation. To be honest, monkstraps and jeans go together like bread and butter, especially a pair of suede monkstraps like the ones you posted. As for the buckle, it has both a practical use as well as historical meaning. Practically, the buckle secures the shoe to the foot--is is most always functional. Historically, it was said that the buckled shoes were first created by monks. Thus, the term monkstrap. That is the quick and dirty version I guess. For some sexy monk action: [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

To be honest, I would stick with either Howard Yount or Panta. Panta are $199, and you know the HY prices. Both are excellent, especially for the money. Both of them are currently "out of stock," and while I can't speak to Jamison's next shipment, I remember Ed saying that he will have some in very soon. Aside from these two brands... I really would not suggest anything. If you need something now, I guess you could always scour B&S for Mabitex, Incotex, etc.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

In my opinion, I would go to Brooks Brothers and play it safe. Get a solid charcoal and a solid navy, they run deals every once in a while if you can wait. I would not advise trying to tailor the hell out of your current wardrobe. To be honest, the suits at Macy's are shite, and you are going to spend far more than they are worth trying to tailor them. To be honest, if I were you, I would rather just look like crap for a bit and save up than spend an exorbitant amount of money [proportionally] turning crap into better fitting crap.

8. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

Ikea has some decent wooden jacket hangers at a good price, a pack of 4 or 5 for less than $6 in natural or dark cherry wood color

9. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

It's called a monk strap and it's a popular shoe (I think) on SF. You can wear it casually or semi-formally. It would be great with jeans. I think the one pictured looks quite nice, where is it from?

10. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I would not wear it. It's try-hard and out-of-place in the continental US, unless you are going to be at an outdoor gathering in very hot weather. But you don't have to take my word for it: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm

I agree that the bow is huge (in general -- and especially with the svelte shawl lapels). Also, you need an evening shirt with studs.

There's a good chance you will be the only guy wearing a white dinner jacket at the party and stand out in a negative way.

11. Kwix

Kwix Member

So I'm just starting to get into the world of clothes. I'm 19 years old and up to this point my wardrobe has consisted of plain t-shirts and jeans, so I don't know a whole lot about tailors, materials, matching, etc. I have a few questions.

1. I managed to snag a Brooks Brothers casual shirt (size small, traditional fit) for less than $30. Problem is, I'm a really skinny guy (5'10" and around 130lbs). Is it possible to have this shirt tailored into a slimmer fit or is that too difficult/impossible of a job?
    2. Furthermore, any idea what I can pair it with? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...nt_Id=297&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
    3. This picture confuses me as to the difference between suit jackets and blazers. I was under the impression they were different articles of clothing. This guy appears to be wearing his suit jacket out as a blazer? http://i.imgur.com/atiTM.jpg
    4. What kind of material is this? I love it. Is there some kind of rule to follow as to what material jacket and pants to wear when wearing a shirt and tie with that texture? http://i.imgur.com/xdr7E.jpg

I apologize for my potentially (in fact, probably) stupid questions and thank you in advance for any help.

12. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i could get a tailor to just take off the collar of a dress shirt and replace it, right?
    i don't like the collar but love the fit of the rest of the shirt
    (collar has entombed collar stays... want to replace with a spread collar and removable stays)
    wonder how much that would cost...

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shirtmakers will generally do this for you provided they made the shirt for you in the first place. It is not always a viable option because the color of the body of the shirt likely will be a different shade than the new collar. Plus, any shirt with sewn in collar stays is most likely cheap and not worth trying to get a tailor to do this job to it. Better off getting a new shirt, or shirts made.

14. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

bah...
    didn't think about that...
    i had the shirt made... white herringbone pattern cotton
    it's nice.. just stupid collar
    i guess i'll just have to live with it... or maybe get the collar opened up to change out the collar stay

15. CobyKarl

CobyKarl New Member

Hey all... not really a quick question, but my thread has been in moderation for the past 4 hours. :embar:

Just bought a pair Florsheim shoes which appear to be Kenmoor on ebay. The listing didn't really have any info about the shoes so I turn to the experts on SF.

I was quick to pull the trigger because of the great condition and low price, $60.

Any info on the leather type, vintage/ year made rarity etc thanks a bunch~

Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]