• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I'm concerned that the couple suits I have don't fit that well. They were just basic suits OTR at Macys, and then I used their tailors. I need to upgrade my wardrobe to coincide with a new job. Cost is an issue, so please keep that in mind. That said, can someone give me some suggestions for getting the best fitting suit for my buck? So far I've considered buying from Macys and going to a better tailor, buying from somewhere like Brooks Brothers, or trying a MTM service like TopShelf or Tom James? Thanks

First think about getting the Macy's suits tailored. If they fit in the shoulder (not a given), you can have them taken in, sleeves and trousers shortened, etc. by a good tailor to make them look much better. This is likely to be your least expensive option.

The next part depends on your budget and what kind of work you do. BB is not a bad option for a conservative environment, but their suits, especially the lower prices ones, are kind of boxy. Again, make sure they fit in the shoulder and they can be slimmed to a point. Other readily available OTR places like J Crew or Rugby may be good for slimmer suits at decent prices, especially if you shop sales - which should start in October. I don't have experience with the MTM options you listed, but I would actually recommend finding something OTR. For a cautionary tale on internet based MTM, read this:
http://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2011/09/neither-fish-nor-fowl-trouble-with.html

Poindexter

Reaction score

Where to pick up some suit jacket hangers
decent quality at a cheap price?

WallyWorld here sometimes has really nice fat wooden ones for about $5. They're not always there, you have to check once in awhile.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was just wondering what type of shoe this is. For what occasions is it usually being worn? I'm considering to wear it casual under jeans but I'm doubting if it is proper.
Does the buckle on the shoe have a specific meaning?

This type of shoe is called a monkstrap. The formality of a monkstrap is somewhere between an oxford and a slip-on, and it is debatable whether it is more or less formal than a derby. Although sleeker than your average derby, I feel that the 'uninitiated' treat monkstraps with a bit of skepticism and hesitation. To be honest, monkstraps and jeans go together like bread and butter, especially a pair of suede monkstraps like the ones you posted. As for the buckle, it has both a practical use as well as historical meaning. Practically, the buckle secures the shoe to the foot--is is most always functional. Historically, it was said that the buckled shoes were first created by monks. Thus, the term monkstrap. That is the quick and dirty version I guess. For some sexy monk action:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm new to SF, and I asked this question in the noob question thread on the streetwear side, and now I think I asked in the wrong place. So here goes.

I'm looking for my first pair of mid-gray flannel trousers to upgrade my fall/winter wardrobe. Something with texture and some nap, and if they have side tabs that would be a huge plus. I like fairly slim cuts, and I'm a skinny dude: 28-29 waist depending on the brand and rise.

I was going to pick up these from Howard Yount, but they're sold out in pretty much all sizes: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray
Ditto these from Epaulet (which, because they're worsted, are not as nappy as I'd like): http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-860/''Slim-Walt-Trouser-Worsted/Detail

Ideally it would come in under $225, since I talked to my tailor today and the labor for a bespoke pair of trousers would be $250. That being said, needing to source my own fabric and deciding on all the details regarding buttons, closures, pockets, etc. is both exciting and daunting. Thanks in advance! :)
To be honest, I would stick with either Howard Yount or Panta. Panta are $199, and you know the HY prices. Both are excellent, especially for the money. Both of them are currently "out of stock," and while I can't speak to Jamison's next shipment, I remember Ed saying that he will have some in very soon. Aside from these two brands... I really would not suggest anything. If you need something now, I guess you could always scour B&S for Mabitex, Incotex, etc.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I'm concerned that the couple suits I have don't fit that well. They were just basic suits OTR at Macys, and then I used their tailors. I need to upgrade my wardrobe to coincide with a new job. Cost is an issue, so please keep that in mind. That said, can someone give me some suggestions for getting the best fitting suit for my buck? So far I've considered buying from Macys and going to a better tailor, buying from somewhere like Brooks Brothers, or trying a MTM service like TopShelf or Tom James? Thanks

In my opinion, I would go to Brooks Brothers and play it safe. Get a solid charcoal and a solid navy, they run deals every once in a while if you can wait. I would not advise trying to tailor the hell out of your current wardrobe. To be honest, the suits at Macy's are shite, and you are going to spend far more than they are worth trying to tailor them. To be honest, if I were you, I would rather just look like crap for a bit and save up than spend an exorbitant amount of money [proportionally] turning crap into better fitting crap.

jc4jax

Reaction score

Where to pick up some suit jacket hangers
decent quality at a cheap price?

Ikea has some decent wooden jacket hangers at a good price, a pack of 4 or 5 for less than $6 in natural or dark cherry wood color

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

I was just wondering what type of shoe this is. For what occasions is it usually being worn? I'm considering to wear it casual under jeans but I'm doubting if it is proper.
Does the buckle on the shoe have a specific meaning?

It's called a monk strap and it's a popular shoe (I think) on SF. You can wear it casually or semi-formally. It would be great with jeans. I think the one pictured looks quite nice, where is it from?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey guys, I posted this on formalwear p0rn but haven't got a response...

I'm going to be in a black-tie optional gala this coming Saturday that my company is sponsoring. Can I wear my white dinner jacket even after Labor Day?

I don't have a proper tux so another option would be my dark navy blue SB peak.

I would not wear it. It's try-hard and out-of-place in the continental US, unless you are going to be at an outdoor gathering in very hot weather. But you don't have to take my word for it: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm

I agree that the bow is huge (in general -- and especially with the svelte shawl lapels). Also, you need an evening shirt with studs.

There's a good chance you will be the only guy wearing a white dinner jacket at the party and stand out in a negative way.

Kwix

Reaction score
So I'm just starting to get into the world of clothes. I'm 19 years old and up to this point my wardrobe has consisted of plain t-shirts and jeans, so I don't know a whole lot about tailors, materials, matching, etc. I have a few questions.

1. I managed to snag a Brooks Brothers casual shirt (size small, traditional fit) for less than $30. Problem is, I'm a really skinny guy (5'10" and around 130lbs). Is it possible to have this shirt tailored into a slimmer fit or is that too difficult/impossible of a job?
2. Furthermore, any idea what I can pair it with? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...nt_Id=297&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
3. This picture confuses me as to the difference between suit jackets and blazers. I was under the impression they were different articles of clothing. This guy appears to be wearing his suit jacket out as a blazer? http://i.imgur.com/atiTM.jpg
4. What kind of material is this? I love it. Is there some kind of rule to follow as to what material jacket and pants to wear when wearing a shirt and tie with that texture? http://i.imgur.com/xdr7E.jpg

I apologize for my potentially (in fact, probably) stupid questions and thank you in advance for any help.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i could get a tailor to just take off the collar of a dress shirt and replace it, right?
i don't like the collar but love the fit of the rest of the shirt
(collar has entombed collar stays... want to replace with a spread collar and removable stays)
wonder how much that would cost...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shirtmakers will generally do this for you provided they made the shirt for you in the first place. It is not always a viable option because the color of the body of the shirt likely will be a different shade than the new collar. Plus, any shirt with sewn in collar stays is most likely cheap and not worth trying to get a tailor to do this job to it. Better off getting a new shirt, or shirts made.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirtmakers will generally do this for you provided they made the shirt for you in the first place. It is not always a viable option because the color of the body of the shirt likely will be a different shade than the new collar. Plus, any shirt with sewn in collar stays is most likely cheap and not worth trying to get a tailor to do this job to it. Better off getting a new shirt, or shirts made.

bah...
didn't think about that...
i had the shirt made... white herringbone pattern cotton
it's nice.. just stupid collar
i guess i'll just have to live with it... or maybe get the collar opened up to change out the collar stay

CobyKarl

Reaction score
Hey all... not really a quick question, but my thread has been in moderation for the past 4 hours. :embar:

Just bought a pair Florsheim shoes which appear to be Kenmoor on ebay. The listing didn't really have any info about the shoes so I turn to the experts on SF.

I was quick to pull the trigger because of the great condition and low price, $60.

Any info on the leather type, vintage/ year made rarity etc thanks a bunch~

Here's a few pics:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads