Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

Thank you, it sounds like I should wear a tux. I can always dress it down later. Cheers and thanks for the replies everyone.

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I still say tux. Worst comes to worse you are the most dressed up person there. But this is SF and I think 95% of the guys on here have been that guy on more than one occasion. On the plus side a tux can make you look like you are going someplace way cooler after the party (assuming you have the swagger to give that impression; arm candy helps).

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Can you move the fake buttonholes on a suit? It's a nice suit (Zegna mainline), the weirdo who had it originally (I picked it up for $15 at a thrift) apparently had one arm shorter than the other, since one sleeve is about a quarter to half inch shorter. It was clearly taken in at the cuff, so I only have to take it back out, except that the buttons were moved. They're fake buttonholes, but they have that buttonhole stitching and I'm worried it will ruin the fabric if a tailor tries to take it out to move the buttons. Can this be done?
    If both arms were the same, I'd just leave the buttons where they are, but it's going to look pretty weird with the buttons high on one arm and normally placed on the other.

4. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

I bought a used pair of AE Park Avenues in 9D for $49 off of Ebay about 2 months ago. Aside from the all the mostly good reviews here that prompted me to get them, I find the toe box to be very roomy to the point it feels like a size too large. I am not sure if this normal for them or not.

5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

$49? ...in a size 9D which is probably a popular size... that's amazing

can you post pics of the condition the AE park avenues were in?

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

This would be at least a 30 minute errand where I live. To save a whopping $4.50.

If 30 minutes of your time is worth less than $5 you have my sincere sympathies.

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

Where to get 2.75-3 width ties for around $20-30 each? I'm looking to build up a busine\ss wardrobe, and I just can't take any tie beyond 3.25 inches

8. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

The heels looks to be replaced not long ago and the soles maybe have 50% life left in them I guess.

[ATTACHMENT=620]P1020589.JPG (428k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=621]P1020590.JPG (351k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

thetiebar.com

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Where to pick up some suit jacket hangers
    decent quality at a cheap price?

11. mymil

mymil Senior member

I'm new to SF, and I asked this question in the noob question thread on the streetwear side, and now I think I asked in the wrong place. So here goes.

I'm looking for my first pair of mid-gray flannel trousers to upgrade my fall/winter wardrobe. Something with texture and some nap, and if they have side tabs that would be a huge plus. I like fairly slim cuts, and I'm a skinny dude: 28-29 waist depending on the brand and rise.

I was going to pick up these from Howard Yount, but they're sold out in pretty much all sizes: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray
    Ditto these from Epaulet (which, because they're worsted, are not as nappy as I'd like): http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-860/''Slim-Walt-Trouser-Worsted/Detail

Ideally it would come in under $225, since I talked to my tailor today and the labor for a bespoke pair of trousers would be $250. That being said, needing to source my own fabric and deciding on all the details regarding buttons, closures, pockets, etc. is both exciting and daunting. Thanks in advance! :)

12. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Just a roll of the jacket.... and yeah, I gotta learn how to tie a smaller bow :(

here's another shot:
    [​IMG]

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

Go for it, get them made bespoke. $250 for the labour is a fair price. Order something from Smiths woollens or Fox flannels.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Hanger Project sells the best ones in the world. The thing is all of the other ones suck majorly in comparison. Go to Bed Bath & Beyond.

15. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

ebay, but you have to sort through a lot of crap.