Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's a mid gray suit with a subtle pattern that is there essentially to lend texture.

Seriously, you're asking what to wear with about the most versatile color suit you could possibly imagine.

2. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess it's easy to overthink it sometimes. I haven't even seen the suit in person yet, and I think the closeup view of the pattern makes it look more "patterned" than it probably really is.

3. kingvlad

kingvlad Member

I suppose this has been posed before: like I mentioned before in this thread, I'm just entering college, so my budget is not that impressive. However, I would be willing to invest in a more affordable pair of suede cap-toes or wingtips, brown in color. Essentially, what makers and brands would offer suede shoes at prices below, say Alden (~100 to 200 USD range)?

4. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

5. phenom01

phenom01 Well-Known Member

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Surely this has a pretty obvious answer: you go by reputation, and given that you're an SF member, it shouldn't be hard to find out who is recommended.

I've got a 1.25" belt in chestnut from Narragansett Leathers (http://www.narragansettleathers.com/) that I really like. The quality is excellent for the price, which is highly affordable (around $40-45).

7. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

Got an offer to buy a bespoke dinner suit from a friend who had it made at a Savile Row tailorshop some years ago for $100. Thing is its a notched lapel rather than a shawl or peak but the size is close to me to have it altered for fit. Good deal? Opinions?

[​IMG]

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Herring Shakespeare II (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...tID=129&oldcolID=2713&seconds=&colour_id=2714). A little outside of your price range, but your price range is pretty low for decent shoes, unless you're willing to go second-hand.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Anything but black. That's why brown is a popular shoe colour, no?

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

interesting
    i just hate not being able to check something out in person first... at least to get a sense of what a certain brand/cut/fabric/etc. is like

11. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

Anyone know when the next Mr Porter sale will be?

12. kingvlad

kingvlad Member

13. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

I apologize for the misinformation. I assumed it was hand tailored in London since it has bespoke on the label but in asking its actually made in the US, i am guessing by Hickey Freeman. It shows Gieves & Hawkes Bespoke on a purple label on the inside jacket but he bought it in the US about 11 yrs ago. It seems to have a good amount of hand tailoring though, but I have been told by this forum a notch DJ is an abomination. :embar:

14. shazam156

shazam156 New Member

ok fellas i am a newbie and i would like some critique for my coat, especially if it is too big or not:

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. click here

click here Senior member

Does shoe polish and leather oil have best before dates? Does it matter if it's like 20 years old?