• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Filipe

Reaction score
I'm looking at a pair of second-hand Cheaney's, particularly their Rubens model. They have Joseph Cheaney written in the insole and a Dainite sole. Are they good quality shoes?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

*cross post*
(this one is black)

Which color would you pick for a college backpack? I was leaning toward brown but I can get white for cheaper.
Would white be more versatile anyway?

I'd go with a darker color for college. My backpack was beat to **** and generally replaced each year (granted I was generally using North Face backpacks, etc). Even if you don't replace it you'll collect so much dirt and what not with the white one it's going to be gray before long. Plus white can be seen as very seasonal, depending on how it's worn. Dunno where you're going to school but being sleeted on wearing a white backpack seems a little odd.

Reaction score
What is this, and is it worth anything?

I found the mother load at a thrift store the other day, and picked up some insane finds this is one of them! I am unfamiliar with what it is exactly, a little help?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is this, and is it worth anything?

I found the mother load at a thrift store the other day, and picked up some insane finds this is one of them! I am unfamiliar with what it is exactly, a little help?

That is a shawl collar dinner jacket. Good maker too.

Is it really dark green? The color and fabric make it a bit of an 'odd bird'. But you should be able to find a buyer.

What size is it?

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner jacket. Mother lode.

Reaction score
What is the raised button=like green fabric called? There is also another tag that reads " Gentlemen's Quarter" And yes it is a dark olive green.

Yes, mother lode... how frightful.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on where to find a nice slim shirt with end-on-end type pattern/fabric?

I tried searching around google shopping but am having trouble finding anything.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the raised button=like green fabric called? There is also another tag that reads " Gentlemen's Quarter" And yes it is a dark olive green.

Yes, mother lode... how frightful.

It's a green (corduroy? velvet? Can you post a close up of the fabric?) dinner jacket. Formalwear- ie, to be worn as what you might call a tuxedo. The covered button is simply a detail used in such garments.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, neat fabric. I can see why it confused me looking at the previous photo- never seen one quite like that before.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm in search of a new brown leather belt..
but... if i am shopping online, how can i tell the quality of the leather? ...
unless if i am already familiar with the brand and such
anyone understand what i'm saying?
i would like a decent quality leather in light brown to match my new shoes

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all:

I just got some outstanding denim Mabitex pants from B&S (a slim, modern cut, not the clown type from the 70's). My question is: what would you guys wear with denim chinos? In a way that emphasizes their chino-ness? I ask because I generally wear untucked shirts on the weekends; when I do, they just look like nice jeans. Rather than frou-frou Itallian jean pants. :foo:

Also, I'm sure this will get me laughed off SF, but...they are made of denim. Can I expect these to...fade?

/totaln00b

Last edited:

thiago

Reaction score
What doo you guys reckon this guy from the Heineken commerical is wearing? I love this advert by the way.

Seems like a navy blue jacket, no cummerbund/braces, tuxedo shirt and black bow tie? Is this a respectable black-tie look?

8HK5z.png

znKGm.png

al1wQ.png

GradSchooler

Reaction score
what do the acronyms "FIT" and "MILA" mean?

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
I just bought this suit on eBay. It's a BB Golden Fleece, and I'm wondering if anyone has a shirt/tie/PS combination to recommend. I'm thinking light blue shirt with navy or brown grenadine and solid or subtly patterned PS.

Anyone got a killer combo suggestion?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads