• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cogitoergo

Reaction score
The office i work in is a dress shirt, tie and slacks kinda place. The only folks you see wandering around in suits are guests and project managers. I'm pretty comfortable in this environment but feel like wearing something a bit smarter when getting called into an important meeting.

I've been told the easiest way to handle this is to keep a sports coat at work. Put it on on the way to the meeting and you always look sharp.

Predominantly I wear khaki, brown, linen, black and one or two blue slacks to work. Shirts are mostly white, light blue or white with windowpane patterning.

So the question is:

what sports coat do you keep at work? Classic blue blazer? Something in tweed? Any other suggestions?

rms340

Reaction score
Which shoe would be more versatile? I have a dark grey suit, a navy and a linen tan. I kind of like the lighter pair better, except the sole of the shoe. It's a little lighter than I would like.

I found these on Gilt for $229 in a size eu38. My feet are extremely small and don't come across nice shoes often, and I think I should pull the trigger on these shoes soon.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Darker pair are traditionally easier to pull off. Seems you are looking for versatility in a starter shoe and darker brown is a better starting point. Depending on the nature of the sale you can also get both and return one. I know Gilt has attempted to make their return policies bearable in more recent times.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a dark grey suit, a navy and a linen tan. I kind of like the lighter pair better, except the sole of the shoe. It's a little lighter than I would like.

i prefer black with dark grey and navy.

the sole edge can be darkened by a cobbler easily.

i'd get the second pair.

cardguy

Reaction score

I dated a girl who worked at J Crew for a few months and in that time accumulated pretty much every color in the rainbow of these guys. I also had the exact same problem as you. Fit great in the shoulders and chest but after a few hours of wearing they began to sag and the drape became unflattering. I brought a couple to my tailor and he was able to slim some of them successfully (some not so much), but really all that meant was that I could get a wear or two out before I had to wash again. I even tried drying one straight up in the dryer but all it really did was shrink the waist band and left the sides even more noticeably baggy.

All and all I have come to the conclusion that these guys are made for layering. I generally throw them over a shirt and under a jacket or SC. My advice would be to ask your tailor (if he's good/comfortable with doing sweaters) if he'd take a crack at it. I was willing to be experimental with mine because I was getting them for like $10 a pop.

I appreciate the detailed response. Very helpful.

Did you find another brand that made similar style v-necks that fit better?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the BB Country Club Blazer fits? Specifically if the armholes are "normal" or high? I have a bit of trouble with how high the armholes are on my RLPL blazer, and was hoping the BB Country Club could be a decent pick up for me for now until I shed some weight..

Thanks!

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Solid navy or dark brown cashmere?

customties

Reaction score
There are actually a few that are key to making sure you’re able to pull off your otherwise carefully put together ensembles. Certain socks are only for particular occasions, for example, and certain colors of socks should only be worn with specific outfits.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I am interested in buying some loafers, and I occasionally read about "lined" or "unlined" loafers. What is the difference and how does it matter? Is this just a matter of comfort? Tradition? Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am interested in buying some loafers, and I occasionally read about "lined" or "unlined" loafers. What is the difference and how does it matter? Is this just a matter of comfort? Tradition? Thanks.

Most dress shoes have some sort of lining, usually leather in decent ones. So your foot is sitting against a leather liner rather than the same leather you see on the outside of the shoe. In an unlined loafer, that's not there, and the leather you see on the outside is what your foot is against on the inside. Besides just feel (unlined tends to wear cooler, besides texture), an unlined loafer isn't going to have any stiffeners for the upper to hold the toe in a preset flat shape. Any laceup dress shoe is going to have that- notice that all the creasing is on the vamp rather than on the toe? An unlined loafer won't do that, there will be waving and creasing all along the top. Some (including myself) like that look, since it goes along so nicely with the casual nature of the shoe. Others hate it, and get these elaborately lasted things from Edward Green that betray the heritage of the penny loafer.

That said, you can still have a lined model without stiffeners where the lining is just present for warmth.

So wouldn't something like a 'boot cut' be about right? They are pretty much straight from knee to hem.

I know they are not the 'style' right now - but I think they would be worth trying. Especially if you tried a size that was fairly tight in the hip and thigh.

You definitely are on the right track to avoid the skinny pants/ jeans look with your body type.

No, that's straight leg. Boot cut flares out. Boot cut is bad for that reason, unless you're wearing boots that actually need the extra room under the jean for a giant boot.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's no difference in external appearance. Some say the unlined loafers are a little cooler. The fit might be slightly different so make sure you try them on before buying.

Predominantly I wear khaki, brown, linen, black and one or two blue slacks to work. Shirts are mostly white, light blue or white with windowpane patterning.

So the question is:

what sports coat do you keep at work? Classic blue blazer? Something in tweed? Any other suggestions?

Navy blazer would be fine with everything except the black trousers. If the blue trousers are too close in shade they will look like a mismatched suit. If you are only going to keep one sport coat you would probably be safe to pair all the above with something like this -

http://www.jpressonline.com/sportcoats_pressidential_detail.php?id=J20341R

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I appreciate the detailed response. Very helpful.

Did you find another brand that made similar style v-necks that fit better?

Similar style and better fit? For sure. Same price point? Not exactly.

I picked up a couple RLBL v necks on B&S pre-switch that were a decent deal and fit me great. I also grabbed a couple custom fit cable knit silk PRL v necks on sale at Saks for like $35 a pop and they fit tremendously.

Generally house brands at Saks, Neimans and Bloomingdales will have tons of colors to choose from in a similar style to J Crew and, because they are the house label, are far more likely to be had for steep discounts around sale time. Accordingly, these will not be the best of quality, but if J Crew is the control then they will be well in the same league, if not slightly better.

GHo

Reaction score
tailor help needed....

I'm looking to buy a Paul Stuart suit off ebay. Pants are 32x 29.

I'm a 30 inseam and the seller said there's 2" cuff that could be let out. My question is this - if a tailor let's out that cuff, can the tailor still remake a cuff that's smaller? (ie a one inch cuff?)

I just don't want to go to non-cuffed pants. and i really like this suit! :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads