Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

I've got graduate school interviews coming up and I'm looking for a two-button Navy blue suit (I think?). I'm fairly fit (8" drop) and would like a modern look. My budget is something around $1000. There is a reputable tailor in my town, but I do not know if I should approach him regarding a bespoke suit (expectedly, he seems to have an older, flabbier clientele) or provide him with a suit to alter. I'm going to NYC later this month so I can try things on there... what brands should I try out? am I looking for perfect OTR fit? if not, what can be altered?

the person who helps me out most will be rewarded!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Why didn't you learn your lesson the first time? If you expect something to sell out, get it when it's still available. If you've been waiting for months, you shouldn't have needed that extra night to ponder.

When deal hunting, don't count on a deal to be there later. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

3. Philip

Philip Senior member

aha yeah, i don't have a lot of money sorry about that! i couldn't afford it at the 30% discount which it was at for a couple of months, and everyone was waiting for it to hit the final sale. So I didn't lose out because I was indecisive, a final sale was certain before my size would run out of stock, I was just not quick enough when the final sale started.

But thanks for the advice though!

4. The Upright Man

The Upright Man Senior member

What does everyone think about wearing brown suede loafers in the summer? They are an extremely versatile shoe but I can't help but equate suede with winter.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I think it's fine to wear suede in summer. Maybe not heavy boots, but other than that.

6. bluesdance

bluesdance Well-Known Member

I'm no sartorial expert but I would say try Brooks Brothers (one of the slimmish fits) or Polo Ralph Lauren.

7. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I'd also go to Suitsupply's showroom while in NYC.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Suede is hardly limited to a season. It's just texture, and can go with tweed and linen equally.

9. Smore

Smore Member

Is there anyone here from the Philadelphia area who knows anything about Ernesto Custom Tailors? I want to start saving for a suit or sport coat, and their prices are decent enough that I won't have to save for an extremely long time. (Not really rolling in the dough atm, probably because I picked photography as a career. [​IMG]) And I would rather not go out of the city/state if I don't have to.

If anyone has done any business with them, I'm just curious what your experience was like. They seem to be the only suit makers I could find in Philly.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

10. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I've been wondering about them too. They do have a complete satisfaction guarantee, so I guess there's nothing to lose but your time.

11. Smore

Smore Member

True, thought I would try to ask here though first in case someone had a horror story about them, lol.

12. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

+1. Light to mid-brown suede loafers (with or without the tassels), along with summer bucks, and also light-to-mid brown chukka/desert/jodhpur boots are the stuff of summer, pairing nicely with chinos, khakis, and Bermuda shorts, and also smashing with linen, I agree.

Of course suede footwear is meant for summer, depending on what you pair them with, and yes they also all carry over into Fall depending once again what you pair them with, as noted above. Ah, Fall: when you put your summer bucks away, and bring into rotation those rich, darker brown suede shoes/ankle boots for cooler days. Whilst Ozzie surfers seem to enjoy those sheepskin UGGs in between catching waves, when relaxing on the sandy Australian shores, such UGGs are best left to young teen girls in winter time, eh? Meantime, it's summer: so enjoy those loafers (and what they're about)! :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

13. dasai

dasai Senior member

Summer is already half over, but I've got a summer look question. Debated between SW&D and here, but it seemed more appropriate to this forum. Anyhow...

I'm looking to pick up some Keds in the near future. Not being one for pure white shoes, I'm debating between "graphite", "moonbeam grey" and navy. Any advice on which I should get? I'll be wearing them mainly with madras shirts or polos, and khaki shorts or chinos.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I would personally go for the graphite.

15. Acer

Acer Well-Known Member

Posted this over in WAYWRN, but I'm going to take the lack of response / comments as "vanilla outfit, whatever i don't care". But my question still stands: does this collar work on me?