• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

easy_golfing

Reaction score
just bought the cliftons, they seem to squeak when i walk... do they need breaking in, or is something wrong?

notfortheweak

Reaction score
I've been looking at cufflinks on ebay and some of them say they have "gold fronts." What does that mean? (A google search for "gold fronts" leads to a lot of pictures of blinged out teeth and not much else.)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been looking at cufflinks on ebay and some of them say they have "gold fronts." What does that mean? (A google search for "gold fronts" leads to a lot of pictures of blinged out teeth and not much else.)

Could mean anything. I guess 'fronts' refers to the front part of the cuff-link, as opposed to the bar on the rear side, so would imply that the whole front part is gold. Since it's eBay though it's debatable whether it means actual gold or just 'gold-coloured'.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am planning to buy some Zara shirts on sale. Should I size up 0.5 inches for neck shrinking or go to a normal size?

No, just wash in cold water and hang dry. Stretch the collar when you iron and you should be ok.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks nice, it is very neutral, I would say it would go with almost anything.

Avocat

Reaction score

Anybody know which brand this is?

Nice pilot strap, though kinda different on a navy-style dial. As to the brand of watch, hard to say definitively, given that there are no identifying marks on the dial or strap presumably. Do you know what movement is in the case and/or anything else about the watch? COULD be a Laco Navy though I doubt it, since Laco (Lacher & Co., Germany) brands its dials, apart from some of their flieger line that is (namely, b/c they've "re-issued" modern fliegers based on those which they actually made during WW2, Laco being one of only five official suppliers of flieger b-uhr to the luftwaffe; that said, their navy line is branded). See for e.g., https://shop.laco.de/en/Navy-Watches.html

Whilst it's possible I suppose that Laco did a special project navy-line w/o the branding (they sometimes do special, custom made projects), it's more likely that the watch is made by somebody else, either a copy or, perhaps, a custom job by a small maker perhaps? Without more information--in particular, what's inside the case/the movement, which should be signed IMO--it's impossible to say for certain, there being many replicas as well as custom-watch makers out there, some of the them quite reputable (i.e., custom watch makers), but others not so much, at all (think i.e. china, etc.). Do you know anything about the movement, etc. (note: a watch is comprised of both a design and a movement, in my op.)? Are you considering this watch--i.e., is there one physically on sale somewhere that you are thinking about purchasing? If so, get more info--and remember, what's inside counts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Avocat

Reaction score

Wondering where I can get a simple and classic gold watch with a black leather band. ~$100-250
Try e-bay, where you *might* find a vintage available for auction, though solid gold? You know the price of the ounce these days, right? ;) That's okay, though: at that price, I'm thinking a Movado quartz w/ the Museum dial ... classic "gold look" case w/ the 12 o'clock dot on black dial, on a black leather strap. Iconic.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Opinions on this Sartorio SC? Comments on what to pair this with?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...19787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3004wt_1396

Looks nice, it is very neutral, I would say it would go with almost anything.

+1. That is an interesting jacket for sure though. It appears seer sucker at first and yet is 100% wool. I'm sure you're not gonna find another one so if you like it I say get it. I really like the buttons too.

antikantian

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I first looked at it thinking it was seersucker, but then the fact that it was wool intrigued me. Thanks for the comments.

easy_golfing

Reaction score

It depends on where the squeak is coming from. It could be a lot of things.

Well, I returned them... got annoying. But it was coming from that area in the middle that the laces cover rubbing up against the sides against it.

Philip

Reaction score
would it cost a lot to have a 38r blazer tailored to a 36r? not just the chest, but shoulders, sleeves etc

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

would it cost a lot to have a 38r blazer tailored to a 36r? not just the chest, but shoulders, sleeves etc

Walk away. It won't be worth what you'll pay, and you won't like the result.

Philip

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads