1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

2. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It's time to buy a new coat. Things wear out. Let it go and move on!

3. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Received a suit from mail, the store I bought from did the alteration. But I think the 2 sleeves are not same length. Any ideas?

Sorry for the blur pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. deionmccoy

deionmccoy Member

Black Clark's desert boots, Aye or Nay?

[​IMG]

I was planning on wearing them with darker colored jeans and a collared shirt. Also if I wear a 9, what size should I get? I moved to Georgia, and I'm not sure what common stores would have a pair I could try. Any advice on what I should wear these with? Thanks!

5. dasai

dasai Senior member

The most important thing is not their length compared to each other, but their length compared to your arms. Do they both come down to the wrist bones on each arm (and no further)? If so, there is no problem.

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Buy a nine and wear them with thicker socks. Super comfortable.

As for black, I'm a bit iffy about that, they don't look quite right (to me). I'd recommend the dark Beeswax brown color. added bonus is when those start looking scuffed you just re-wax them.

If you think black suits you better, though, go for it.

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

no? Right sleeve is OK, and left sleeve is over the wrist. That is what bother me.

8. collegeguy88

collegeguy88 Well-Known Member

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I'm a fan, but unless you're wearing them with black jeans, I'd go with brown instead. The darker browns (like the beeswax version) will look nice with even very deep indigo / steel washes.

You'll want to size down a full size for these; they famously run big. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe and an 8 /12 Clarks DB. Particularly since you live in a hot climate where you might want to wear them with loafer socks. Nordstrom carries them, and they also have free shipping / free returns if you don't live near the store.

Besides jeans, you can wear them with pretty much any casual trousers or shorts.

10. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Depends. Are you interviewing to be a forest ranger in the national park service? Motorcycle repairman? Tattoo artist?

The description uses words like "classy" and "sophistication". Don't believe it. It's a neat, rugged-looking bag but it is the opposite of those things. I do like how they say it's "a must for every professional" while also stating that it makes a good diaper bag.

11. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

A) that is a cheap knockoff of the large Saddleback briefcase

B) that is very much not interview appropriate. The more buckles and hardware that is visible the less BC the bag.

12. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

Quick tailoring question. I have a vest that is perfect except the thread or stitching around the button holes has come undone. Can a tailor restitch the holes?

13. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

some tailor shop has the buttonhole machine they can do it, for some shops doesn't have the machine, if someone's a real tailor, they can do it by hand. But price maybe expensive.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

it seems that all the button work on the cuff w/ the way it is split and everything just makes it more complicated. Isn't it easier just to shorten it from the shoulder? And shortening is easier in that respect so any decent tailor worth their salt should be able to do it. It would seem unnecessary to do it at the cuff and then have the additional problem of possibly hand sewing the buttonholes... unless I'm misunderstanding your problem here.

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The question was about a vest and redoing frayed buttonholes not altering sleeves.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ whoops... you're right, my bad. I meant this for andrewgreg re: his Lanvin SC.

17. Philip

Philip Senior member

anyone know where i could get a custom made duffle coat?

or one made out of harris tweed?

18. soundsgood

soundsgood Senior member

thanks for everyone's responses to my suit question. I went to brooks brothers (fitzgerald) and a few others places to try on suits and it turns out I'm a 42L (I measure a 41) top with a 34 waist, and 19 shoulder, so most rtw suits don't fit, even after tailoring. Understanding this, I'll go to the 6-700 dollar range if it means I'll get a decent suit that fits. Any ideas on either rtw styles that would work or a suitable mtm place? (I'll try suitsupply if need be, despite some of the vitrol I hear) Again, I want something of slim but moderate style, I liked a 1500 dollar canali suit the guy at saks wanted me to try on, but of course that was way out of my range. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  19. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Shirt alteration question:

What can be done about a shirt that's too big in the shoulders? I've heard that shoulder alterations in general are a bad idea, but what about that puffy extra fabric behind the shoulder? I have some shirts that look fine from the front, but from the side you can see all this extra fabric puffing out in the back. Can a tailor do anything about that?

20. EddieRanger

EddieRanger New Member