1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Anyone know anything about Oxxford "Rare Editions"? I've seen the Onwentsia cut many times before, but never this.

[​IMG]

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Does anyone recognize this jacket? Is it a Belstaff?

[​IMG]

3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I own some lighter weight MTM trousers that have taping on the inside of the hem -- I didn't request it, but that's how they were made, so OK. They do help them hang a little straighter, and although I don't have a problem with "billowing" either way (you might want a narrower leg if that's happening for you), when I'm wearing ankle boots it does seem to mitigate the tendency of the back of the pant to get caught on the back of the boot.

4. Vloed

Vloed Member

Is this black Corneliani suit worth kopping cheap despite SF's general opinion that black suits are best left for evening wear and hence are less versatile? Or would my limited funds be better served by waiting for more of a stock suit to add to my currently limited supply?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I think you answered your own question there.

Its a nice suit, but better to get staple colors first.

6. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Have a couple long sleeve dress shirts that need to be tailored. The sleeves are a bit baggy and need to be taken in so they fit more snug on my arms. Local tailor quoted a price of $18 for each shirt. Yay or nay on this price?

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

8. calvin1

calvin1 Member

what kind of Coat is this? i really really want one now.

9. calvin1

calvin1 Member

10. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

OK This is a dumb question.

I bought a DB flannel jacket, but they don't have cuff buttons. The button was made of wood. Where can I find it? My past experience was they always will give you buttons somewhere, but there's only a very small one (for the internal pocket) can be found. :brick: I don't want return because I like the jacket. Is that OK to

Thanks in advance. Gents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SlimJohny

SlimJohny Active Member

12. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Get some nice horn buttons put on the jacket. There are a few sellers here that have horn buttons. Also, I have bought a number of times from www.bennosbuttons.com. They have a few different horn buttons available too.

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Is there an Italian shoe maker called Antonio Carbone, of Casa di Scarpe Carbone? I read it in a book, which also talks about savile row, but I cannot find a link verifying this info.

14. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Yes, by my screen it looks like a charcoal grey. It would go well with white, lavender, and blue, or a combination of these colors with stripes (white and blue vertical striped shirt, gingham etc). Navy chinos would work, but the jeans I'm not so sure about. I have always thought that if a blazer is to be worn with jeans, it should be a slim fit and a little shorter in the vent area.

15. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

So I've dropped a LOT of weight over the last year and a half.

Long story short, most of my clothes fit more than slightly baggy, or just do not fit at all. As a result I can usually either pick a good outfit that fits horribly, or a well fitting outfit that doesn't make much sense (I'm too broke to raid any stores in a serious way).

My question:

Navy suit, brown shoes (no black belt ATM) informal brown leather overcoat, or formal black wool coat?

16. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Does the jacket even have faux open cuffs? If not, fake buttons are going to look really weird.

17. bohemiandandy

bohemiandandy Member

Hey guys. First time posting here, hopefully you can help me out. I'm thinking of getting myself an Isaia sportcoat off STP. Since their stuff is mostly handmade..would it be a mistake to get the waist taken in if it doesn't fit me quite right OTR? I'm thinking its gonna fit me good on the shoulders, but I'm not planning on messing with that anyway. But the chest has a nice drape that I fear I might ruin if I get the waist adjusted. I don't know much but I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Go with the black coat. You don't really have to worry about coordinating your overcoat too much.

19. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Here's what the sleeve look like. It supposed to be a function cuff or no? I called Jil Sander store and told me it's the design I need to short my sleeve from the shoulder. I don't know if she's serious enough to mean that. The little black thing on sleeves are not real stitching, it's a piece of "thing" sew at the 2 ends. I insert a piece of paper to show that.

What's the best solution to short sleeves? Should I remove all the black thing just short sleeves (all tailors can do) and them re-sew it? Or I really need to do it from the sleeve. or I just buy some buttons? what's the best way to do it. I'm not an expert in this. I don't want my local tailor to ruin my jacket. I really like the color, fabric and cut of it. Sorry for my confusion description. Thanks gents. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]