• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fidget with it.

LOL!

Use three fingers to pull the blade through the knot - using your middle finger (no joke) to hold the middle down while pushing both sides together with your other two fingers. This causes the 'dimple' to embed itself in the knot as you pull the blade through. Your dimple will last all day!

Or - as I often do while tying my tie in a moving car while steering with my knee............"Fidget with it" :fistbump:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are Allen Edmond Strands good dress casual/suit shoes? How's the quality? Sizing? They're currently on sale for $200, and they look pretty schnazzy:

Excellent shoe, especially at that price.

DrStrangelove

Reaction score
How would you sew up the side vents of a DJ by hand?
Lay the whole thing flat down, fixate it with needles and then do some kind of hidden slip-stitch?
Just go through the inner fabric layer of the overlapping (rear) part of the jacket and then through the top fabric layer of the side section of the jacket?
And I think you would have to do those stitches pretty close to the edge of the overlapping jacket part, otherwise you would see the edge, right?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,

Just got a quick question, hope you can help me out.

I'm starting a job tomorrow and was told the dress code was 'fairly casual'. It's going to be cold so a sweater will be involved.

So, I have a gray polo, with a small white line on the collar. Then I have button down shirts: Plain white; Sky blue and white vertical stripes (blue more prominent color); One similar to this, same colors but smaller/more squares http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/extrabig/70302050.jpg

Then I have 2 black v-necks. One is slightly off-black and a bit thicker than the other blacker, cashmere-type, thinner one.

Thanks for all your help, I'll probably be wearing black trousers and black shoes. Too much black? Ergh. Anyway, thanks again
smile.gif
You shouldn't be wearing anything that is black unless it is shoes. My first day to work I would wear a suit and then gauge how I want to dress based on the other people you work with. I would wear a navy, or charcoal suit. If you don't have that, throw out the idea of a polo shirt all together and wear a sport coat, or blazer, or even a sweater over a dress shirt. Stay away from black!
Suit is too much, I think. If the dress code is 'fairly casual', I don't think a suit would be expected or appropriate. But no polo shirts either, especially under a sweater. Wear the plain white or blue button down shirt (and you should be getting more of those), with a tie, medium gray pants of some sort, and one of your black sweaters. A black sweater with black pants is WAY too much black. You're going to need to buy some adult clothing that's not black. Khakis in khaki, gray, olive, cream. Perhaps wool trousers in various colors. Sweaters- burgundy, medium or light gray, navy. A few more dress shirts- white and light blue are good basics and should be your default shirts, simple stripes and checks for branching out. Keep the colors light. A few ties. They may or may not be expected, but very good to have. Don't even think about polos unless you see significant numbers of coworkers at your level doing it. Make sure you're aware of the culture before dressing more casually.

Yoel

Reaction score
I need a proxy located in the US willing to ship to Sweden. Anyone?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Anyone know the quality of Rugby Ralph Lauren suits. Are they fully canvased? Worth it on sale? I just like the fit but not sure if it's worth it. Other very slim fitting suit recommendations are welcome.

Word on the street is that the more expensive ones (in the $600 range before sale) are designed by Caruso in Italy. While not fully canvassed I have heard rumblings of half canvassed somewhere. Never seen one of the jackets first hand so can't go into too much detail. Sorry for the half information.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Word on the street is that the more expensive ones (in the $600 range before sale) are designed by Caruso in Italy. While not fully canvassed I have heard rumblings of half canvassed somewhere. Never seen one of the jackets first hand so can't go into too much detail. Sorry for the half information.

I have seen them, there is a lot about them that is not great. They are only half lined, no canvas, short, very short. The fabric isn't great, however the shoulders are nice. Single vents, too.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lay the whole thing flat down, fixate it with needles and then do some kind of hidden slip-stitch?
Just go through the inner fabric layer of the overlapping (rear) part of the jacket and then through the top fabric layer of the side section of the jacket?
And I think you would have to do those stitches pretty close to the edge of the overlapping jacket part, otherwise you would see the edge, right?

No, that is not how you would do it. You would have to create an open seamI recommend using a tailor.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to do it properly you would take apart the vent structure then use the vent inlay as a seam allowance to continue the existing side-seam down to the bottom of the coat.

Motaw

Reaction score
Long shot but can anybody Identify this Blazer/Vest combo or point me in the direction where I could find something similar?

5959448848_cddf4cf0d1.jpg

Scotty

Reaction score
Anyone ? My main concern is about the chest area and the closed quarters question.

I just bought me a navy wool/linen sport coat but... I'm still unsure about fit so I'll show it here for consideration (I can bring it back).
To me it fits well in the shoulders, what I'm unsure of is the chest area: should be tighter in there ? Needs tailoring ?
Quarters are closed, tried one size down and they remained closed but some tension started to show around buttons so I'll asume it's designed to be closed, right ?
I'm also thinking of changing buttons if I keep it. The ones it has now are dark and cheap looking.

Thanks.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone ? My main concern is about the chest area and the closed quarters question.

Scotty,

I'm afraid that you are not going to be happy with this jacket in the long run. My advise is to return it.

The basic cut, including the closed quarters that you mention, appear to my eye to be more appropriate for a suit jacket than for an 'odd jacket'. Nothing short of totally reworking the shape of the lower quarters is going to change that. And that is not such a quick and easy thing to have done.

It's a basically nice jacket - I'm just not sure it's shaped correctly for your intended use.

-G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads