Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. samsterdam

samsterdam Senior member

An annoying what goes with what question:

I recently bought this suit from CT and am looking for shoes to pair it with. Would ravello longwings work? Any advice is appreciated, though I will say I'd prefer it not to be a boot.

2. Scotty

Scotty Senior member

I just bought me a navy wool/linen sport coat but... I'm still unsure about fit so I'll show it here for consideration (I can bring it back).
    To me it fits well in the shoulders, what I'm unsure of is the chest area: should be tighter in there ? Needs tailoring ?
    Quarters are closed, tried one size down and they remained closed but some tension started to show around buttons so I'll asume it's designed to be closed, right ?
    I'm also thinking of changing buttons if I keep it. The ones it has now are dark and cheap looking.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

MiamiRedSkin is selling this Hermes linen coat, and I love everything about it except that it's too big for me. Any leads on where I might find a summer jacket like this? It's pretty much exactly what I want in terms of cut, lapels, material, pattern, etc. Obviously I could go bespoke but I'd sure like to place an order and get something next week, as I am a cheap and impatient bastard.

[​IMG]

Normally I go with Faconnable, Tyrwhitt, etc. for stuff like this. No dice.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Oh I should say so. Awesome combo.

No experience with the suit maker, but the colours' a winning mix.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

You are in San Francisco?
    Starting out with dress shirts for suits, get a white and a light blue. Think about getting them made, see the Spoon Tailor thread. Really, the prices are quite reasonable considering what a decent dress shirt will cost off the rack, and the fit will be much better.

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thr...-hong-kong-bespoke-operation-in-san-francisco

6. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

I think C&J make a very nice shoe for the price. As far as style, that's up to personal taste, and to an extent it depends on budget. From the main line, Oxfords, take a look at C&J Wigmore, Westbourne, Drummond. Maybe tge Westfield, the Finsbury. Derbies, The Hove, the Talbot, the Dartmouth. There are similar models with rubber soles. See the Swansea, Exmoor and the Pembroke. Are you in the US? Think about Alden as well. A pair of Alden longwings (975, burgundy shell cordovan) are classic, and great with jeans or a suit.

7. ChuckDee

ChuckDee Member

8. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Are Allen Edmond Strands good dress casual/suit shoes? How's the quality? Sizing? They're currently on sale for $200, and they look pretty schnazzy:

[​IMG]

9. oisin

oisin Senior member

what tie(s) can i wear with this shirt? I was thinking a grenadine, but can I do a dark blue grenadine on the blue patterned shirt, or should i go with a red/burgundy (I have red hair/coloring so am a bit wary of that much red on the tie, but it could be ok). What else might work (colors/patterns)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Scotty

Scotty Senior member

They have been recomended here (this same model or any other good brogued brown oxford), hundreds of times as the best second shoe after you have your black cap toe oxfords.
    According to the rules it will be better with suits being a balmoral/oxford but they look good with slacks, too (maybe not ideal with more casual pants like khakis, etc).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. samsterdam

samsterdam Senior member

Cheers, Harvey! :cheers:

12. Dee123

Dee123 New Member

Hi guys,

Just got a quick question, hope you can help me out.

I'm starting a job tomorrow and was told the dress code was 'fairly casual'. It's going to be cold so a sweater will be involved.

So, I have a gray polo, with a small white line on the collar. Then I have button down shirts: Plain white; Sky blue and white vertical stripes (blue more prominent color); One similar to this, same colors but smaller/more squares http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/extrabig/70302050.jpg

Then I have 2 black v-necks. One is slightly off-black and a bit thicker than the other blacker, cashmere-type, thinner one.

Thanks for all your help, I'll probably be wearing black trousers and black shoes. Too much black? Ergh. Anyway, thanks again [​IMG]

13. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

Likely the worng place for this, but can someone tell me how to edit my "Ignore List" in the new format?

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You shouldn't be wearing anything that is black unless it is shoes. My first day to work I would wear a suit and then gauge how I want to dress based on the other people you work with. I would wear a navy, or charcoal suit. If you don't have that, throw out the idea of a polo shirt all together and wear a sport coat, or blazer, or even a sweater over a dress shirt. Stay away from black!

15. Lucas7

Lucas7 Member

How do I to tie a tie with a small indent below the knot?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011