Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Exin

Exin Well-Known Member

I'm a size UK7 on the EG 888 last, does that mean 40.5 for the Vass F?

2. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Thanks for the advice mate. My predicament is as follows: I need a boot I can wear casually. I tend to dress on a more aggressive side (my old punk roots still show through, though the mohawk has been tamed). So the black works well for me. HOWEVER, I still need the boot to be presentable in an office environment. Right now I don't work in one, but I plan on earning my way in soon. So, with everything considered: I want a boot that can be worn in a creative office environment, that I can wear with jeans and my old patched jacket as well. If I settle on the Lewis, perhaps I should decide to go with brown?

3. The Upright Man

The Upright Man Senior member

I can't speak for the fit of Vass F specifically but I wear a UK7 and any European shoes I've bought in 40.5 fit me.

4. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

Can anybody tell me who makes this shoe?

[​IMG]

5. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Anyone know where i can buy a money clip with a chain on it to attach on the trousers?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Sorry about the novice question...I'm at SW&D 95% of the time -
    I found a suit jacket that is perfect in the sleeves (length), length, and chest...but the area where my shoulder and arm intersect (would this be a shoulder issue?) is way too tight. Is this something that I can get altered?

7. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Quick question - I want a slim-fitting linen suit for a wedding in a month (I'm 6'3 195lbs; 43" chest, 35.5" waist). What is a good brand for fairly cheap, and where's a good place to get it?

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Probably not. It's a lot easier to make things smaller than it is to make things larger, and shoulders are always tricky (and expensive). Though hold off, perhaps post a photo here. It might be fine, but you might not be used to the feel. Or it could be too tight, and you need to find another jacket.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Don't know about Jeans. The Glenn's two-leather style rules it out for wear with a suit. The Lewis might be able to get away with a suit, but not to a serious business meeting.

Consider a Chukka boot in burgundy/cordovan.

[​IMG]

I own a pair and am comfortable wearing them with a suit on hard weather days.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The bass ones are a perfectly fine shoe, and rather iconic. If I'm not mistaken, Bass came up with 'em. The lasts and styling may be different, so take your pick there. The bass ones do have synthetic liners and whatnot, so if the J&M is better in that regard, it might be worth the extra cash. I don't know the details on the J&M version though.
    Fit is uninspiring, but decent, and you need actual dress shoes. Those look like casual driver mocs or whatnot, and the square toe should be avoided. You need a black captoe or the like.

11. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

I recently acquired some French cuff shirts in pale yellow and royal blue with white stripes. cufflinks -- wat do

12. noobie

noobie Member

I never got an answer. I have this summer started a collection of welted quality shoes. My dress class is not as good as the most of your and im wearing jeans, chinos with shirts. I have bought a pair of c&j double monks and two pair of loafers, i need another pair of "casual" shoes. I was thinking of a pair of black/dark brown oxfords with broughes.

What kind of model could you recomend for casual clothing?

thank you

13. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Looking for some summer button up shirts similar to what Ledbury has on their site. It's getting hot here in California and I want something I can wear to events with professionals. I want something that's semi-formal (anything with buttons qualifies as that on the West Coast), something I can wear with khakis or chinos but not something I'd wear to a wedding or with a tie. In other words, lightweight fabric with a slim fit, looks good tucked in, but isn't too stuffy or dressy. I have plenty of dress shirts. I am looking more at like Travota, Shipley & Halmos types shirts. Looking to spend ~$100 or less.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Unless said casual clothing is black or charcoal, brown. Styling is up to you. Something with brouging is a good choice. If I were you, I would have something that could look normal if/when you wind up wearing a suit, so a half brouge would work, ie, a punchcap with a medallion. A plain old punchcap could work nicely too. Or, if you're sticking strictly casual, a plain toe blucher could be an option. Really, your options are wide open here. Something with laces that suits your fancy.

15. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

You're most welcome, and punk rock roots you say? LOVE IT! As to the Lewis, yes, in a creative environment you can pull that one off with a suit, but I agree with Birdman that, should you have a serious (aka formal) business meeting, the Lewis will be out of place since, at such (formal) meetings, so too would tweed and/or sports coats be out of place. I personally love my full-brogue boots, very versatile, but something I added later on to my rotation, once I had the staples covered (not to worry: being a classic brogues will never go out of style, meaning, you can always pick up a pair later, at your convenience so no problems there). Seeing as you're looking to get only one pair for now and that you like lace-ups, I'd have to agree with Birdman re: his recommendation for a burgundy chukka, which as he says are very versatile.

Good advice, Birdman, another classic (and the chukka boot vs. chelsea/jod boot debate goes on. Whilst I myself prefer the Jod/Chelseas, those Aldens are nice and, whether chukka or chelsea/jod, it all comes down to personal preference, I agree). Either way, L.R., come fair-weather days, you're really going to enjoy boots, whatever your style preference. In addition to Alden, other quality chukka makers include Crockett & Jones, Loakes (1880 is their premier line, though they've other lines to accommodate all tastes/budgets), Church/Cheaney and I believe that Grenson also has some smart chukkas on offer, among others (steer clear of the suede and/or crepe sole line, though; smart casual wear but don't pair with a suit). All good. And if you only want one at this time and prefer lace-up boots, then the most versatile would be the chukka that Birdman recommends. Clean toe boots in a classic color [i.e., cordovan/burgundy and English Tan (brown)], go with just about everything and especially nice with navy (the accepted preference, actually) but not black (only black goes with black, which means, can get those Lewis later, right? ;) That said, if truly a creative enviro (i.e., not semi-formal/business like Bay Street or Wall Street for e.g.), then the Lewis will do you fine, too. Curiously, the brogue (black) is a dress boot for Highlanders when in formal, dress kilt-wear, and still is (Scottish tradition calls for black, and well polished!). So, like all other things, it depends. In the event you like them all and have hard time deciding amongst the styles (all nice, but if only can have for now the one), then you might just want to check with your HR as to the dress code, just to be sure. Otherwise, have fun shopping and selecting your new boots---all nice choices, and wear them well!! :)