• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a tailor shortens the sleeve from the cuff, are they suppose to recreate the cuff (the part where the sleeves open/overlaps).

Or is it normal to just truncate the cuff (like an inch of overlap/opened section) and just move the buttons down?

jsqfunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Robert Barakett @ Nordstrom. A little on the expensive side, BUT very nice hand.

thanks, i never heard of this brand before i will check out

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
When a tailor shortens the sleeve from the cuff, are they suppose to recreate the cuff (the part where the sleeves open/overlaps).

Or is it normal to just truncate the cuff (like an inch of overlap/opened section) and just move the buttons down?

I've had the tailor remove the cuff from the sleeve, shorten the sleeve, and then re-attach the cuff to the now-shortened sleeve. Not too difficult.

If you ever have a shirt made by a good shirt maker you may purchase extra cuffs for future replacement of the threadbare ones. Course you run the risk of dissimilar color, so wash the cuffs (and extra collar) periodically w/ the shirt.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by curzon
I've had the tailor remove the cuff from the sleeve, shorten the sleeve, and then re-attach the cuff to the now-shortened sleeve. Not too difficult.

If you ever have a shirt made by a good shirt maker you may purchase extra cuffs for future replacement of the threadbare ones. Course you run the risk of dissimilar color, so wash the cuffs (and extra collar) periodically w/ the shirt.

oops... I mean for a Suit Jacket
shog[1].gif
not a shirt. Sorry about the confusion.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif

Depends on what you're paying, how much material there is to work with on the seam, how good the tailor is, and if you care.

If you actually care, ask what the tailor does before you give him the garment, and if it's not to your liking, ask him/her to do otherwise or go elsewhere.

barzen

Reaction score
What do you all think about pairing a solid grey linen tie with a tan suit for an outdoor wedding in August? I'm thinking about one from Howard Yount, but it seems that the grey tie/tan suit combo may be too monochromatic.
ties_2010_spring_linen_solid_gray_1_large.jpg
Thoughts?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barzen
What do you all think about pairing a solid grey linen tie with a tan suit for an outdoor wedding in August? I'm thinking about one from Howard Yount, but it seems that the grey tie/tan suit combo may be too monochromatic.

ties_2010_spring_linen_solid_gray_1_large.jpg

Thoughts?

Too monochromatic. You need summer colors. A tan suit is quite versatile so you can do red, burgundy, orange, pink, even blue ties. For an outdoor event go with light-colored tie.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif

Okay. If you don't have working button holes on the jacket's arm it's not too difficult to move those buttons to maintain the proportion.

+1 what cptjeff said.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A question about Ancient Madder: if a tie is made from silk and has a "micro-fiber-y" texture, is it safe to assume it's made from Ancient Madder silk? Will regular silk always feel "slicker" to the touch?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Charles Tyrwhitt codes right now?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
Alright. So I've got the C&J Edgware in UK 10.5. Now I want to get some shoe trees, Woodlore's ultra ones. 10.5 UK equals 45-46 which I ordered. This is X-Large. The charts on the packaging though say UK 10.5 with Last E equals L, not XL. Anyone got C&J Edgwares and Woodlore shoetrees and might help me out here? Shall I exchange them? I'm not sure whether they fit perfectly because I don't have that much experience with shoe trees.
Noboy who can help me out?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Same as the Cedarville ones from the Cedarville affiliate, which are also cheaper iirc. Nothing special

Larson McCord

Reaction score

Same as the Cedarville ones from the Cedarville affiliate, which are also cheaper iirc. Nothing special
What gets someone excited about a shoe tree anyway? If they fit in the shoe and keep the shape what more does one need?

Scotty

Reaction score
Do you think I have enough trousers/jacket contrast here ?

Would a not solid shirt make it more interesting ?

The tie is a medium green knit tie, it looks pretty dark in the picture. Better with or without ?

I know jacket sleeves need to be a little shorter. Soon to be done.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads