Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Philip

Philip Senior member

So i want to buy the Black Fleece tab collar white oxford shirt but it has a shirt pocket which i don't like. Can this be sewn off?

Can anyone comment on the fit as well please for Black Fleece?

2. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

How easy (or difficult) is it to alter the rise of a pair of pants?

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

How easy (or difficult) is it to alter the rise of a pair of pants?

I can't really see how it would be possible at all.

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

Is it ok to wear a tweed or flannel dark gray SC in the office to beat the air conditioning? Thing is, here in Singapore, almost no one ever wear a jacket or SC because its too hot.

But i don't want to look like all the others wearing a hoodie/trackjacet/windbreaker etc. Is it appropriate though because I will be better dressed than my bosses? [​IMG]

5. Gagno905

Gagno905 Senior member

This is such a dumb question that I'm almost embarrassed. I just had a MTM grey suit made (my only other being charcoal) and wanted another pair of non-black shoes. I opt'ed for the Allen Edmonds Clifton in Walnut. [​IMG] The suit is a medium-gray. About this: [​IMG] So...what kind of belt can I wear with this? I've always taken to the shoes matching belt rule and I'm not sure if I can find a belt as light as the Clifton's. Should I just try to find something close, or does it even matter that much with a suit? With the jacket closed I can't see it being an issue as much, but when it's open the belt is visible. Save me SF.

6. kiteandkey

kiteandkey Member

This is such a dumb question that I'm almost embarrassed.

I just had a MTM grey suit made (my only other being charcoal) and wanted another pair of non-black shoes. I opt'ed for the Allen Edmonds Clifton in Walnut.

[​IMG]

The suit is a medium-gray. About this:

[​IMG]

So...what kind of belt can I wear with this? I've always taken to the shoes matching belt rule and I'm not sure if I can find a belt as light as the Clifton's. Should I just try to find something close, or does it even matter that much with a suit? With the jacket closed I can't see it being an issue as much, but when it's open the belt is visible.

Save me SF.

AE sells belts in the same color. For example, the Wide Basic Dress.

7. Gagno905

Gagno905 Senior member

AE sells belts in the same color. For example, the Wide Basic Dress.

These are great. Shame they won't fit my 28 waist though.

Thank you!

8. Sanguis Mortuum

These are great. Shame they won't fit my 28 waist though.

Thank you!

You can get any belt shortened easily. You don't need one that perfectly matches the shoes but it should be roughly similar in colour.

9. Gagno905

Gagno905 Senior member

Perfect, thanks a lot guys.

10. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

Hello all.

What's the SF stand on black AE Park Avenues (brightly and meticulously shined, of course) with a tux? (I have to rent a tux for a wedding and I *hate* opera pumps.) Workable?

11. Sanguis Mortuum

What's the SF stand on black AE Park Avenues (brightly and meticulously shined, of course) with a tux? (I have to rent a tux for a wedding and I *hate* opera pumps.) Workable?

While technically against the rules (shoes with black tie should either be opera pumps or patent leather) I think in most cases some well-shined Park Aves will be perfectly fine.

12. GBear

GBear Senior member

I've got a linen shirt with shoulder pleats. The back and sides are very billowy (Probably around 3" of extra material in the back). The tailor says he can take in the sides only an inch. I would like darts but seems they cannot be properly achieved with the shoulder pleats. What can I do? Thank you in advance.

13. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

While technically against the rules (shoes with black tie should either be opera pumps or patent leather) I think in most cases some well-shined Park Aves will be perfectly fine.

Thanks!

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I've got a linen shirt with shoulder pleats. The back and sides are very billowy (Probably around 3" of extra material in the back). The tailor says he can take in the sides only an inch. I would like darts but seems they cannot be properly achieved with the shoulder pleats. What can I do? Thank you in advance.
    Once you go beyond a certain degree of tapering, you basically have to remake the shirt to get it to fit properly. It's almost never worth it when you could just buy a properly-fitting shirt.

15. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

I was browsing styleforum and came across this blazer. I meant to subscribe to the thread, but i guess i forgot. Luckily, i saved a picture. Now to the question: Does anyone know which thread this is from? edit: about 30 minutes after my searching began, and just a few minutes after i posted this questions, i found the thread. thank you, sf god
    [​IMG]