1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cliche

cliche Senior member

Cool boots I have the same but in a diffrent shape from Ralph Lauren. I use them with little more casual clothes. Manchester pants, some cashmere sweater with a shirt under, any jacket with a scarf and gloves.

Note: I only use these when its snowing haha :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Only 12 oz, but the APC New Standard is a forum favorite.

3. ManCrush

ManCrush Well-Known Member

I've been a lurker for awhile, so some knowledge has been absorbed, but you bring up excellent points. Thank you, cb, for taking the time to help. I appreciate it, and clearly should do some archive searches to sharpen my knowledge even further.

4. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme Member

thanks this is the pic that got me sold and motivated. i pretty much want to pull the same look off
    [​IMG]

5. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

you have a lot of research to do. their website is under construction and provides very little info. another SFer already had a 2 piece made there for $1,700. http://www.styleforum.net/t/49708/suit-commission-from-nick-lopez-tailoring
    http://blog.chron.com/styleprofile/2011/02/nick-lopez-bespoken-word/
    it's fully hand canvassed and the quality looks very good so the price seems appropriate.

:lol:

7. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

There are some good links in the FAQ thread which, for some reason, is no longer pinned at the top of the Men's Clothing forum:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/3355/hof-glossary-of-terms-best-posts-faq-links

9. Kid Nickels

can anyone answer this for me? .... any thoughts on covert fabric for a sportcoat? I'm not too familiar with it but came across it recently and am considering that it would make a nice looking, but durable and well-wearing SC. Thoughts?

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hopsack.

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

They are pretty good for the sale price range. All import made though. A good amount on sale at thecorner and some Barneys may still have stock

12. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I thrifted these Zanella trousers, but I'm not sure what to wear with them. How would you rock gray wool trousers with a not-so-subtle orange windowpane pattern?

[​IMG]

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

White shirt, blue blazer/SC, a tie that incorporates pale or deep greens, purples or darker (blood) orange.

14. SonOfGloin

SonOfGloin Member

15. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

What is the general consensus on button stance for suits here? I see a 2 button suit with a higher button stance with the top button a little beneath the sternum. Is a higher button stance more dressy or casual? I have a slimmer build (6' 170 lbs). Does a higher button stance work for my frame?

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would say it depends on your proportions. some say the button should be at the mid-point between the top of their head and the floor. Some people say at the belly button, some people say an inch above the belly button. It depends on your body, how you want it to feel and what looks good on you. Generally, higher buttons around the solar plexus is a fashion thing. Very "in" right now along with shorter hems. If you want something more timeless go down a bit.

17. kingvlad

kingvlad Member

Greetings!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified seamstress in the Columbus, OH area? I recently inherited a collection of vintage 40's - 60's printed silk scarves from my grandmother, and was looking to turn them into pocket squares. The tailor I visited today suggested I search for a seamstress skilled enough to hand roll the unfinished edges after cutting the scarves down, and I am asking for any advice in this matter.

Thanks!

Nick

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Carmina in chestnut brown on the Inca last (similar to this) or the Alfred Sargent Ramsey?

They look very similar and I can't decide.

Any opinions on one or the other?

19. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Thanks for the help.

20. Kid Nickels

ok... I looked that up...it's a similar but different fabric. I gotta say PB I understand that brevity is the soul of wit but..... are you a bit too witty for me here? :D