1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The rules state "New members must wait 45 days in order to be able to post. " so I assume this applies not only to sellers but to anyone who wants to start a thread in B&S. You can reply to pre-existing threads at this point.

2. kushburner

kushburner Senior member

How much do tailors charge to slim a 3.5" tie to 2.75"?

3. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Where can I find a proxy for shops in Amsterdam?

4. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

so you don't live in the US, and you ordered from a store based in the US?

You live in Argentina? I thought porter is Delivery duty paid.

Anyone has more experience with DHL ship from europe to USA customs issues?

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

To my country is delivery duty unpaid. I prefer fedex because they don´t make me pay that much to customs. DHL is just the worst in that department.

6. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

if it is delivery duty paid, then you already paid it when order from porter I think?

7. mymil

mymil Senior member

^^ I bought a pair of boots from Carmina in Spain, which were shipped via DHL. I think they marked them as "2 horsehide" or something on the customs form, and I wasn't assessed any additional fees.

8. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Should be mohair.

10. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

This will be tricky for many tailors. I would send it to tie crafters in New York, which charges $19.50 for narrowing and $9.50 to ship it back to you. http://tiecrafters.com/alterations.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  12. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

The pattern isn't noticeable in the photo. It's likely barely noticeable in real life. Therefore, it really doesn't make a difference. Order it if you like it.

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Anyone know if a 71% wool 29% Mohair blend by Paul Smith London will be warm for winter>?

14. razl

razl Senior member

Depends on what your winter is like. I'm in Florida where we probably won't see 30s but for a handful of days before March, so it would work fine here (combined with other cool weather clothing). If you're in England (ala your avatar) then I tend to think not.

15. iroh

iroh Senior member

2) what is the appeal of suede shoes? i know some members on this forum really like them, not sure why? care to explain? the soft fuzziness on the outside make the shoe lack definition from afar, i don't think it is a good look. they don't age or develop a patina like normal leather shoes. brogueing on suede just looks too fuzzy and hard to see. suede leather is artifiical, like bonded leather or top grain leather or pebblegrain leather or croc embossed calf leather, they cannot compare to the real deal fullgrain leather. for those reasons i tend to stay away from them. so for those people who like them why do you like them so much?

16. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Can Burberry London coats be found at <$900?? If so, where? Anywhere online?

17. Dope Nixon

Dope Nixon Well-Known Member

18. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Hey, question for Levi's Vintage Collection jeans experts. I'm looking to order a pair of LVC 501z selvedge jeans (my first pair). I know these are supposed to shrink when washed and I'm trying to figure out what size to order. I'm a 34 in most "classic fit" jeans, including Lucky and my other Levi's, and a waste line of exactly 35" when I measure with a tape.

I'd like to order a pair and basically not wash them until absolutely necessary, so I'm thinking I should order true to size at 34? Or is there a reason to size up to the 36? I'd appreciate anyone sharing their experience. My impression is that I should order true to size and wear for several months, then give the jeans a hot bath and put them on before they're totally dry and finish the process that way.

20. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Senior member

If you buy 36 they will always be loose- even after shrinkage. Unless you buy the unwashed, totally dark blue ones, they are already washed/pre-shrunk. But no matter how much shrinkage, they always stretch out again to some extent. Also from 34 to 36 there is a seat/hip/leg size change. if your WAISTline is 35, buy 34s as they sit on hips anyway and will stretch out after wearing. DON'T WEAR UNWASHED DARK BLUE! the dye can be poisonous. At least wash/rinse them in cold water first, let AIR DRY. then wear. If you want to shrink to shape- wash or soak in hot water, dry to still damp then wear damp and sit, bend etc. and ( this sounds weird) push+stretch out the crotch/ button fly from the inside to make room for your genitals-you'll be glad you did when the jeans dry and have shrunk. If still snug, drop 5 lbs and you'll have another 1/2 inch of freedom. If you want the assless/ droopy waist rear pockets below your butt look then get 36s. but then you are defeating the whole point of 501s. I tried on 6 pairs before I got the right ones. They are almost all a little different. good luck.