Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I'm really not feeling the first tie. Second look is okay, but I'm thinking a solid tie might work best since you've got a patterned shirt & patterned slacks.

+1. Also, your ties are too short.They should come to the mid-point of where a belt would be worn. Might want to try a smaller knot as well.

2. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

This might be a bit vague as I don't know what I'm looking for, but what's an acceptable automatic movement watch in the $500 range? I don't want a dressy one; just one for everyday wear

3. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

4. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

great! very helpful, thanks

5. E TF

E TF Senior member

Yes, definitely too wide.

I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width? They do look a little bit wide on their own, but with a jacket on it might it not be another matter?

6. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

a little paypal help needed:

I purchased pants from a seller who stated the waist was 15.5'' across but is actually bigger. I asked for a partial refund to have the pants taken in, which was refused. I filed a claim and escalated. any ideas on if this will come out in my favor?

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

^The experience of most on here is that Paypal sides with the buyer even if the buyer is wrong.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width?

A narrow lapel demands a narrower tie, but there's still an upper limit to how wide a tie should be for a particular person; wide ties on slim people just don't look good.

9. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

10. acadiaspring

acadiaspring Member

The ill-fitting, short sleeve, cheap looking shirt, baggy pleated pants, and novelty tie is a pretty much the staple of the teachers’ wardrobe where I teach. This past school year (my first year), I tried to set the bar a little higher and invested in the best fitting suits I can find that are still within my limited budget (fake it till I make it?). I only have a few. So, I spent a good portion of my days in a shirt/tie with no jacket. I don’t like this look. Without a jacket to toss on, I would at least like to wear a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie.

Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

11. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

Uniqlo are good for cheap sweaters, get a few in various colours, maybe some cashmere for the winter and some thinner cotton ones for the hotter days.

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

Burgundy (very versatile) or chili.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe. And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe. What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.
    Dark brown punch cap, a la the 5th avenue, would be my inclination.

15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member