Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Tailoring questions:

- if I need my tailor to shorten the length of a sport coat (not the sleeve, but the body, perhaps by about 3/4 inch), how big of job is that? and what might be a ballpark price?

- for sleeve shortening -- assuming the cuff buttons are not functional and assuming the sleeve is overall fairly slim/tapered, what's the max length that a jacket's sleeves can be shortened (from the end, not from the shoulder)? Or is there no max (i.e., 3 or 4 inches is fine)?

2. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

When I'm faced with a decision like this where I actually like all of the available choices, I work in reverse and eliminate the one that appeals to me the least. So, in order of least appeal to me...

Number 4: I don't care for the end pieces and butt straps.
    [​IMG]

Number 3: I don't like the bridge.
    [​IMG]

Number 2: This was tough because these look very sleek to me but...
    [​IMG]

Number 1: The retro coolness of the tortoise shell rims speaks to me.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Thanks Digmenow for your time, I was a bit surprised that the Vintage Cartier screw sunglasses ranked low, they were quite popular among the 80s movie stars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Thanks Digmenow for your time, I was a bit surprised that the Vintage Cartier screw sunglasses ranked low, they were quite popular among the 80s movie stars.

We aren't in the 80s anymore.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

We aren't in the 80s anymore.

Lately, I often have the feeling we re-entered the 80s.

5. iroh

iroh Senior member

what animal is yearling leather from?

6. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

Lately, I often have the feeling we re-entered the 80s.

Brad Pitt agrees with you..

[​IMG]

and so do Dolce and Gabbana who copied this design minus the Cartier quality.

[​IMG]

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Tailoring questions:

- if I need my tailor to shorten the length of a sport coat (not the sleeve, but the body, perhaps by about 3/4 inch), how big of job is that? and what might be a ballpark price?

- for sleeve shortening -- assuming the cuff buttons are not functional and assuming the sleeve is overall fairly slim/tapered, what's the max length that a jacket's sleeves can be shortened (from the end, not from the shoulder)? Or is there no max (i.e., 3 or 4 inches is fine)?

Shortening the length of the coat 3/4 inch should be no problem provided the coat has not been shortened before. The cost should be $60.

I've had my sleeves shortened 1-2 inches in the past and would assume if everything else fits shortening them 3-4 inches should be no problem but I'm not a tailor.

8. YahtzeeFish

YahtzeeFish Member

looking for comfy undershirts. I was told that if I open up my collar a bit I needed a v-neck. I like american apparel, are there other alternatives? and is that v-neck thing true?

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I liked the general look of the Cartiers but not the screws. Seems contrived. They do appear dated to a specific decade but I'll admit that I was unaware of their history.

10. jinrtp

jinrtp New Member

It's been 20 years since I wore jeans. My legs are not straight and it look bad with Jeans. So I wear Khaki pants with sharp lines with iron. It looks very old style.

Is there any way I can wear a pair of pants casual? What kind of pants style or brand would you recommend.

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Sorry if this has been answered many times before...but is it ok to wear a pocket square without a tie? I like wearing jackets and would like to start incorporating PSs for a flash of color, but I don't have many occasions that would warrant a tie....

12. either/or

either/or Senior member

Sorry if this has been answered many times before...but is it ok to wear a pocket square without a tie? I like wearing jackets and would like to start incorporating PSs for a flash of color, but I don't have many occasions that would warrant a tie....

-check out this thread

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

-check out this thread

tyty!

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

looking for comfy undershirts. I was told that if I open up my collar a bit I needed a v-neck. I like american apparel, are there other alternatives? and is that v-neck thing true?

All cotton whatever from your local department store, and yes, if you open the collar you need a v neck. Otherwise you see the white tee shirt poking out, and it just looks sloppy.

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I'm having a hard time finding linen pocket squares that aren't showy. Anyone know where I can get some simplified and humble ones? I'd really like a white one with a navy blue pattern. Something like this but inverted. [​IMG]