Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. E TF

E TF Senior member

thank you. couldn't find one in white though. I guess I should have been more precise.
    still need help.

By pure coincidence I was looking for some swimming trunks from Orlebar Brown today and I noticed they sell long sleeved polos as well, including in white. Though the placket looks a bit long to me, and they're a bit pricey. www.orlebarbrown.co.uk/adam

2. dron

dron Senior member

By pure coincidence I was looking for some swimming trunks from Orlebar Brown today and I noticed they sell long sleeved polos as well, including in white. Though the placket looks a bit long to me, and they're a bit pricey. www.orlebarbrown.co.uk/adam
    i just discovered that too. it's definately closer, but the placket and price do put me off.

3. sqweegle

sqweegle Well-Known Member

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Could anyone please tell me what skin these shoes are made of? Thanks in advance.

looks like a pebblegrain type of cowhide but i am no expert in the field

5. Farside

Farside Member

I'm looking for the classic Navy blazer staple to add my wardrobe. What are the best buys? Brooks Brothers is a bit to old school from my tastes.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I'm looking for the classic Navy blazer staple to add my wardrobe. What are the best buys? Brooks Brothers is a bit to old school from my tastes.

Doesn't add up. BB = classic = old school. I am guessing that you want something trendy or hip.

7. Farside

Farside Member

Doesn't add up. BB = classic = old school. I am guessing that you want something trendy or hip.

My mistake. You're right. I'm guess I'm trying to avoid the gold button variety blazer.

8. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

My mistake. You're right. I'm guess I'm trying to avoid the gold button variety blazer.

Buttons can be easily switched out. You should be more concerned with styling.

I just got this the other day
    http://andersonlittle.com/blue_blazer

It is microfiber/wool blend fabric however [​IMG]

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'm looking for a dark brown grenadine tie (a la http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-ga...ilk-tie-6.html) but I'm on a tight (student) budget. Where can I find a cheaper alternative? Everywhere I look only have 'knit' ties which have square/flat ends, which I'm not interested in. I'm in the UK if this makes things easier!
    I just talked to Paul Winston, of Chipp Tailors in New York. He sells garza fina grenadines for $42, but is unfortunately out of most of his stock right now. He has: navy, grey, burgundy, and yellow in stock right now if I'm remembering correctly. Ordinarily he'd also have chocolate, forest green, purple, and black, and in the fall is adding four new colors: a color he calls "toast" (light brown) and several others that slip my mind. They're quite nice, especially for a money. I haven't compared them side by side with a Hober, but for $42, can't go wrong. The price of the silk apparently went up 30% since last year, so he'll be selling them for $48 starting soon IIRC but it's still a steal. He also noted that he has something like 16 colors of lambswool ties for like $30, which I'll have to give a try at some point. For your hunt, he said he should have the chocolate color back in stock around June, and the ties made by July. I haven't seen them in person, so I'm not quite sure which shade of chocolate brown it is. You'd have to order by phone, no web orders for the grenadines. 212 687-0850 is the number, he's a good guy to talk to. I believe they're all 3.5" but I'd have to go measure my other one to be sure.

10. TomAlso

TomAlso Active Member

N00b question: what does BOC stand for when talking about a blazer measurements?

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

N00b question: what does BOC stand for when talking about a blazer measurements?

Bottom of collar, its the jacket length measurement.

12. TomAlso

TomAlso Active Member

Bottom of collar, its the jacket length measurement.

Thanks [​IMG]

13. runsurfswim

runsurfswim Active Member

Why are grenadine ties more expensive?

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Why are grenadine ties more expensive?

It's an expensive material with relatively few makers. It's also supposed to be difficult to work with for the tie maker.

Also, outside of the iGent circles, I don't think there's much demand.

15. ameyers6

ameyers6 Well-Known Member

any clue what type of sunglasses these are
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]