1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Timmbo

Timmbo Senior member

[​IMG]

Can anyone identify what glasses Dominic West is wearing here?

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The last suit I bought, the salesman told me to get a suit brush. After googling a suit brush I know what one looks like but what is the purpose of it?
    Dust and dirt tends to accumulate on the surface of wool clothing because it does not absorb moisture nearly as readily as cotton. As such, a brush is useful for removing such dirt.

Fyi, Kent brushes are highly regarded. I have the one below although it didn't cost that much when I purchased it.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=51&catid=49

3. sebbb

sebbb Member

4. sebbb

sebbb Member

5. danger

danger Member

6. tsmurfenator

tsmurfenator Active Member

I am a 35" waist, and for pants (e.g. Incotex cotton trousers), I find 34" too tight, and 36" way too big.

Is it better to buy 34" and let out, and 36" and take in? The one time I tried to let out, tailor said it was not possible because extra fabric was discolored, also it loses the pretty waist notch. I've taken in a few 36" but never too happy with how they turn out, still too baggy especially in the waist.

Any advice?

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Is it socially acceptable to wear a Woolrich parka over a suit when going to work? It looks fug, but it's 20 degrees here in NYC.

I would rather go cold than wear a parka over my suit.[​IMG]
    Get a coat. Everything is on sale right now so there are many affordable options.

8. dmash

dmash Senior member

Coming over from SW&D and starting my 'dressier' wardrobe. I'm in college so I don't need anything very formal and over the top. What else should I add to my list? I plan on acquiring these items in Italy. I have a pair of APC new standards to go with some of the stuff but I'm wanting to incorporate in a nice pair of slacks. What would be the most versatile color that would also vibe with the oxfords? Should I maybe add a navy blazer to the long term list? Lastly, would it be most advantageous to go with brown or tan for the belt/oxfords? Thanks in advance guys!

1. White & Light Blue OCBD
    2. Grey V-Neck Sweater
    3. Brown or Tan Oxfords
    4. Brown or Tan Belt

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I am a 35" waist, and for pants (e.g. Incotex cotton trousers), I find 34" too tight, and 36" way too big.

Is it better to buy 34" and let out, and 36" and take in? The one time I tried to let out, tailor said it was not possible because extra fabric was discolored, also it loses the pretty waist notch. I've taken in a few 36" but never too happy with how they turn out, still too baggy especially in the waist.

Any advice?

There's not necessarily a hard and fast rule, but it's usually easier to take in than let out. In either case, you run into certain limitations such as the sizing of the seat area, etc., that will not accommodate significant alterations without requiring complete recutting of the trousers. If you're close to a 34, the ideal solution may actually be hitting the gym for an extra 15 minutes (or whatever) until you fit comfortably into them without the compromise of alterations.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Coming over from SW&D and starting my 'dressier' wardrobe. I'm in college so I don't need anything very formal and over the top. What else should I add to my list? I plan on acquiring these items in Italy. I have a pair of APC new standards to go with some of the stuff but I'm wanting to incorporate in a nice pair of slacks. What would be the most versatile color that would also vibe with the oxfords? Should I maybe add a navy blazer to the long term list? Lastly, would it be most advantageous to go with brown or tan for the belt/oxfords? Thanks in advance guys!

1. White & Light Blue OCBD
    2. Grey V-Neck Sweater
    3. Brown or Tan Oxfords
    4. Brown or Tan Belt

That's a pretty broad question. What do you need a "dressier" wardrobe for? Regardless of the answer, unless you have money to burn, getting it in Italy is probably unnecessarily expensive considering your tastes and needs are almost certain to shade.

A navy blazer is an excellent idea. A pair of mid-gray or dark gray trousers is probably the most versatile pair you could acquire. Brown shoes are considerably more versatile than tan shoes. I would suggest a color other than gray for a sweater if you get gray trousers. Navy, olive, or brown are all pretty versatile alternatives for a sweater.

11. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Hey guys, can anyone help me find the name/model number of these sunglasses John Candy is wearing in this picture...
    Those two vertical metal bars/rods on the temples are the indication of a brand. I don't know which one though. People on SW&D may.
    ...Can anyone recommend a cobbler in Orange County, CA that could add Topy soles to my leather soled shoes?
    Baron and Lawyerdad provide good optionshere.
    There's not necessarily a hard and fast rule, but it's usually easier to take in than let out. In either case, you run into certain limitations such as the sizing of the seat area, etc., that will not accommodate significant alterations without requiring complete recutting of the trousers. If you're close to a 34, the ideal solution may actually be hitting the gym for an extra 15 minutes (or whatever) until you fit comfortably into them without the compromise of alterations.
    +1 SF member "a tailor" recommends you get pants that fit in the seat and then have the waist adjusted.

12. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

How many folds are Drakes London silk ties?

13. dmash

dmash Senior member

That's a pretty broad question. What do you need a "dressier" wardrobe for? Regardless of the answer, unless you have money to burn, getting it in Italy is probably unnecessarily expensive considering your tastes and needs are almost certain to shade. A navy blazer is an excellent idea. A pair of mid-gray or dark gray trousers is probably the most versatile pair you could acquire. Brown shoes are considerably more versatile than tan shoes. I would suggest a color other than gray for a sweater if you get gray trousers. Navy, olive, or brown are all pretty versatile alternatives for a sweater.
    I'm acquiring 'dressier' items for some of the formal occasions I attend about once a week. I want quality and I'm going to Italy soon, so I figured I could maybe find some deals over there. I guess you could say I'm just going towards 'sophisticated casual'. I definitely think I'll add navy blazer to the list and pick up some grey trousers. I might pick up a grey v neck sweater to go with the jeans and a navy one to incorporate in with the trousers. One last question, for shoes.....I want oxfords for sure, but should I get broguing?

14. spcl-k

spcl-k Well-Known Member

Greetings all!

I have recently swerved off the SW&D type of style, so, today I bought a brand new pair of AE Sohos in the saddle brown. This is the first of what I hope to be a collection of higher caliber shoes.

My older shoes were never horrible. I owned a few pair of Cole Haans, Hugo Boss but nothing like these, so needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

First, I was wondering what the general opinion of this pair is -- whether it be quality, style, etc. I thought they looked great and I love cap toes.

I was wondering what I should do first (in terms of maintaining/polishing them, etc.) before I start putting in the rotation.

Thanks in advance!

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Is there a danger with a shoe tree being a little too large?

I have run into a problem with some shoe trees I bought for some boots I own. The XL that the box said is sized correctly for my boots doesn't fill out the toebox completely and is not helping prevent creases from forming. I just got some XXL large trees in the same brand and while they fill out the toebox, i'm worried they could be too big and will stretch the boots out. When I hold the XXL trees up to my boots they are actually a little longer then the soles and I have to push the springs in more then I normally do with my trees to make it fit.

I realize there is not "perfect fit" but I am just looking for ways to keep my boots looking good without possible stretching them out.

Yes there is a danger. I would try a new pair of shoe trees from a different brand.

16. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

I just purchased a pair of shoes covered with scuffs and scratches, is it possible to get them repaired to like-new condition?

17. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I just purchased a pair of shoes covered with scuffs and scratches, is it possible to get them repaired to like-new condition?
    Without knowing the kind of shoe, the material from which they're constructed (typically either full grain or corrected grain leather), and the severity of the scuffs and scratches, we couldn't tell you.

18. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Greetings all!

I have recently swerved off the SW&D type of style, so, today I bought a brand new pair of AE Sohos in the saddle brown. This is the first of what I hope to be a collection of higher caliber shoes.

My older shoes were never horrible. I owned a few pair of Cole Haans, Hugo Boss but nothing like these, so needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

First, I was wondering what the general opinion of this pair is -- whether it be quality, style, etc. I thought they looked great and I love cap toes.

I was wondering what I should do first (in terms of maintaining/polishing them, etc.) before I start putting in the rotation.

Thanks in advance!

The post below is a good place to start for shoe care:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=15

19. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

Without knowing the kind of shoe, the material from which they're constructed (typically either full grain or corrected grain leather), and the severity of the scuffs and scratches, we couldn't tell you.

Sorry for the lack of information. haha. i'm very ignorant when it comes to shoes and clothing.
    Anyway, the shoes are ermenegildo zegna couture xxx. I believe they're oxfords. It seems like they were scuffed just enough to discolor the leather. I can't tell a difference in the feel of the scuffed leather and the rest of the shoe. I hope i've given you some useful information. Again, i apologize for my ignorance.

20. PPB

PPB Member

It is often said the most Europeans hardly ever wash their clothes and have a small wardrobe consisting of 2-3 complete outfits that they would repeatedly wear during the week.

Does anyone share this view of fashion and how do you deal with issues like ring around the collar, bad odor, and fabric deterioration.