• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure B. Nelson can do it, might want to confirm however. You can find their contact information here http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/ On a separate note, Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between Arca Boucle vs Jouvet? I cannot tell the difference.

Mike147

Reaction score
I like the Perp Cap Toe Balmoral - very classic and I think the burgundy goes well with almost everything, especially gray.

If I were adding a shoe, I would pickup a Balmoral Short Wing-tip in Burgundy. If you can spring for Alden or AE, would be a good choice. You could also go for a PTB in Burgundy or dark brown.

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ggtk
Can someone offer a quick critique of the fit of this suit? Specifically the shoulder area. I have an athletic build so I'm getting those notches at the top of my shoulder.

Expert advice on shoulder divots from jefferyd.

The takeaway: "The only way to know if a jacket is gong to do this is to try it on. If it dents, try a size up or try a different maker."

Chris_AK

Reaction score
Okay - searched high and low so if this has been addressed already I apologize. Center or side vents on a khaki cotton suit? I go for side vents most of the time, but my girlfriend thinks a center vent seems more "classic" and appropriate for a chino suit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

lwkeung

Reaction score
My 50 years old father's boss just issued a rule that he must wear a tie to work. His previous work place and boss never had this rule; therefore, he now wears button up (solid and patterned), tie, and dress pants/khaki (various colors) to work everyday.

He's is a very simple man, who never spends any money on himself.
So I would like to buy him a new pair of shoes.
Can anyone please recommend me any good dressy/casual shoes that are very versatile?
Under $100 would be great. Thanks!

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris_AK
Okay - searched high and low so if this has been addressed already I apologize. Center or side vents on a khaki cotton suit? I go for side vents most of the time, but my girlfriend thinks a center vent seems more "classic" and appropriate for a chino suit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I personally think side vents pretty much always look better if you have a good fit.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
100% Crockett & Jones.
Originally Posted by Digmenow
You sir, are a footwear identifying machine and don't think for a minute that your skills are not appreciated. Many thanks! ...
Update... I was unable to find any reference to C&J that looks like the boot. Another poster in the thrifting thread used the last info and pointed me to the Alfred Sargent Dumfries. Even the medallion is exactly the same. I gotta say...
alf-sgt_footwear_dumfries_zoom.jpg
IMG_20110519_115326.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do Vilebrequins run? I'm looking for a pair of trunks and I have literally never seen a size small in this brand. I wear a 29 waist in most jeans and pants. Can I pull off a medium in Vilebrequins or is that not going to work?

jawzzy

Reaction score
Where in midtown NYC can I pick up some cheap wooden bead bracelets?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Update...

I was unable to find any reference to C&J that looks like the boot. Another poster in the thrifting thread used the last info and pointed me to the Alfred Sargent Dumfries. Even the medallion is exactly the same.

I gotta say...

alf-sgt_footwear_dumfries_zoom.jpg

IMG_20110519_115326.jpg

Interesting. The lining code is too similar to that of Crockett & Jones. Though it looks exactly like that pair of Alfred Sargent.

bh91

Reaction score
Hi, only post that seems appropiate to post my first post. looking forward to seeing all the different styles..

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cleaners shrunk my linen jacket. What can be done? When I took the jacket to my tailor, he suggested I go back to the cleaner and ask them to use vapor to try and stretch out the sleeves, which is where I notice the shrinking. Is this pointless? Can linen/cotton "restretch"?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify the two main materials on this jacket (both the lining and navy exterior)? It's by a swiss company called Strellson. The contrast collar is corduroy. I'd like to ID the other materials because I like them and hope to find other outwear made from the same stuff. The navy seems like canvas but with a softer hand.

may212011119.jpg

may212011120.jpg

may212011126.jpg

may212011122.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody like to comment on the quality of the Cucinelli shoes which are suede type knockoffs of the Trickers type shoes with commando soles? Worth USD400+/-?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads