1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JamesX

JamesX Distinguished Member

Pretty sure B. Nelson can do it, might want to confirm however. You can find their contact information here http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/ On a separate note, Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between Arca Boucle vs Jouvet? I cannot tell the difference.

2. Mike147

Mike147 Senior Member

I like the Perp Cap Toe Balmoral - very classic and I think the burgundy goes well with almost everything, especially gray.

If I were adding a shoe, I would pickup a Balmoral Short Wing-tip in Burgundy. If you can spring for Alden or AE, would be a good choice. You could also go for a PTB in Burgundy or dark brown.

3. nohio

nohio Senior Member

Can someone offer a quick critique of the fit of this suit? Specifically the shoulder area. I have an athletic build so I'm getting those notches at the top of my shoulder.

Expert advice on shoulder divots from jefferyd.

The takeaway: "The only way to know if a jacket is gong to do this is to try it on. If it dents, try a size up or try a different maker."

4. Chris_AK

Chris_AK Member

Okay - searched high and low so if this has been addressed already I apologize. Center or side vents on a khaki cotton suit? I go for side vents most of the time, but my girlfriend thinks a center vent seems more "classic" and appropriate for a chino suit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

5. lwkeung

lwkeung Senior Member

My 50 years old father's boss just issued a rule that he must wear a tie to work. His previous work place and boss never had this rule; therefore, he now wears button up (solid and patterned), tie, and dress pants/khaki (various colors) to work everyday.

He's is a very simple man, who never spends any money on himself.
    So I would like to buy him a new pair of shoes.
    Can anyone please recommend me any good dressy/casual shoes that are very versatile?
    Under $100 would be great. Thanks!

6. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior Member

Okay - searched high and low so if this has been addressed already I apologize. Center or side vents on a khaki cotton suit? I go for side vents most of the time, but my girlfriend thinks a center vent seems more "classic" and appropriate for a chino suit. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I personally think side vents pretty much always look better if you have a good fit.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Distinguished Member

100% Crockett & Jones.
    You sir, are a footwear identifying machine and don't think for a minute that your skills are not appreciated. Many thanks! ...
    Update... I was unable to find any reference to C&J that looks like the boot. Another poster in the thrifting thread used the last info and pointed me to the Alfred Sargent Dumfries. Even the medallion is exactly the same. I gotta say... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

How do Vilebrequins run? I'm looking for a pair of trunks and I have literally never seen a size small in this brand. I wear a 29 waist in most jeans and pants. Can I pull off a medium in Vilebrequins or is that not going to work?

9. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior Member

What is the quality/price ratio on this Brooks Brothers summer sportcoat?

It's imported, half canvas, silk/linen/cotton blend.

$400

10. jawzzy

jawzzy Well-Known Member

Where in midtown NYC can I pick up some cheap wooden bead bracelets?

11. onix

onix Distinguished Member

Update...

I was unable to find any reference to C&J that looks like the boot. Another poster in the thrifting thread used the last info and pointed me to the Alfred Sargent Dumfries. Even the medallion is exactly the same.

I gotta say...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting. The lining code is too similar to that of Crockett & Jones. Though it looks exactly like that pair of Alfred Sargent.

12. bh91

bh91 New Member

Hi, only post that seems appropiate to post my first post. looking forward to seeing all the different styles..

13. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Distinguished Member

The cleaners shrunk my linen jacket. What can be done? When I took the jacket to my tailor, he suggested I go back to the cleaner and ask them to use vapor to try and stretch out the sleeves, which is where I notice the shrinking. Is this pointless? Can linen/cotton "restretch"?

14. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Can anyone help me identify the two main materials on this jacket (both the lining and navy exterior)? It's by a swiss company called Strellson. The contrast collar is corduroy. I'd like to ID the other materials because I like them and hope to find other outwear made from the same stuff. The navy seems like canvas but with a softer hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. meister

meister Distinguished Member

Anybody like to comment on the quality of the Cucinelli shoes which are suede type knockoffs of the Trickers type shoes with commando soles? Worth USD400+/-?