• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YahtzeeFish
When is it not appropriate to wear brown shoes ?

FTFY

Where to start is a pretty open ended question, you need to search through a lot more threads.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Brown can be worn virtually anywhere, with anything except for black trousers.

On occasion, I even wear brown shoes with black trousers, but the brown has to be a light enough shade to pop.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
Is silk a suitable material for a summer jacket? I thought I read it wears warm, but I seem to be seeing a lot os silk SCs for sale.

Like wool, silk comes in different weights and weaves suitable for different seasons and climes, but I'd say it's more common for S/S than for F/W.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
On occasion, I even wear brown shoes with black trousers, but the brown has to be a light enough shade to pop.

True, it can be done. Though for the uninitiated (assumed due to his question), it's better to avoid just to be on the safe side.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less a quick question, but rather than cluttering up the board:

I assume this has been asked before, but I'm trying to build a cheap but workable business collection. I'm on a very limited budget, so I'm looking for several key versatile pieces that can be used a couple times a week without being that guy that wears the same thing everyday.

Basically, the absolute minimum in clothing that would allow me to work 5-6 days a week without overly repeating items.

I'm thinking: Charcoal Suit, Navy Suit, A few shirts, a few ties, a couple v-neck sweaters to wear under the suits occasionally, 2 x trousers (colours?), a blazer (navy, gray, something else?), and one pair of black shoes.

Now, I've searched for similar topics but have been unable to find one. If this is deserving of a thread, I'll repost it as one. Otherwise, opinions and links welcome.

L.R.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.

I assume this has been asked before, but I'm trying to build a cheap but workable business collection. I'm on a very limited budget, so I'm looking for several key versatile pieces that can be used a couple times a week without being that guy that wears the same thing everyday.

Basically, the absolute minimum in clothing that would allow me to work 5-6 days a week without overly repeating items.

I'm thinking: Charcoal Suit, Navy Suit, A few shirts, a few ties, a couple v-neck sweaters to wear under the suits occasionally, 2 x trousers (colours?), a blazer (navy, gray, something else?), and one pair of black shoes.

Now, I've searched for similar topics but have been unable to find one. If this is deserving of a thread, I'll repost it as one. Otherwise, opinions and links welcome.

L.R.

You will need more than one pair of shoes. Get a pair of brown wingtips and maybe some oxblood/burgundy oxfords. Some brown captoes would be good as well.

Farside

Reaction score
I have a suit jacket from an older Perry Ellis suit. The front breast pocket is only half and inch deep Not deep enough for a pocket square. Is this common in certain style suits? Can it be easily altered by a tailor?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farside
I have a suit jacket from an older Perry Ellis suit. The front breast pocket is only half and inch deep Not deep enough for a pocket square. Is this common in certain style suits? Can it be easily altered by a tailor?

It's very likely that the pocket opening was sewed shut. This is always the case with new jacket. Check whether you can **** it open. Of course, it can be a fake pocket indeed.

Seand03

Reaction score
This is my first suit, i got it for free. I probably would have picked a different one if i was paying, buy hey they price was right.
pCKI1-9431351v275.jpg

I want to round it off with a nice bold tie, pocket square and fedora. The idea about a black shirt was ill-conceived. Im thinking im going with white, lt blue, or pink (although i dont know how i feel about a pink shirt, ive never owned one). With this in mind can i get some suggestions on color schemes? As far as picking a pocket square, do i want something that will contrast my shirt/tie, or something that matches? Ide really like to work some orange in there if possible, without looking tackie.

I know pinstripes are a wedding nono, however they are very light and from a distance you cant tell its pin stripped. Its either this or black slacks and a white long sleeve button up. I want to look nice and sharp, and the suit looks pretty good on me. The other is kinda, Blah...

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seand03
This is my first suit, i got it for free. I probably would have picked a different one if i was paying, buy hey they price was right.
pCKI1-9431351v275.jpg

I want to round it off with a nice bold tie, pocket square and fedora. The idea about a black shirt was ill-conceived. Im thinking im going with white, lt blue, or pink (although i dont know how i feel about a pink shirt, ive never owned one). With this in mind can i get some suggestions on color schemes? As far as picking a pocket square, do i want something that will contrast my shirt/tie, or something that matches? Ide really like to work some orange in there if possible, without looking tackie.

I know pinstripes are a wedding nono, however they are very light and from a distance you cant tell its pin stripped. Its either this or black slacks and a white long sleeve button up. I want to look nice and sharp, and the suit looks pretty good on me. The other is kinda, Blah...

Whatever you do, don't dress like the model. Gray suit + gray tie + gray shirt =
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Forget the fedora. Forget the orange (it goes better with navy anyway). Keep it simple: white shirt, navy or burgandy tie, white pocket square.

Espresso

Reaction score
any quality socks available? keke wanting to buy something comfy ! for my feet.

wetnose

Reaction score

L.R.

That's a decent selection.

Trousers: navy windowpane, charcoal herringbone and for the summer, a midgrey openweave.

Shoes: suggest at least 1 pair of brown chukkas/chelseas - very versatile shoes.

I'd also suggest a trench coat and a scarf.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could use some SF advice on shoes. I have a charcoal suit and I am planning on getting a navy suit in the near future. I want to be a little fashion forward and go with something like a walnut color (maybe the allen edmonds strand) but I wanted some input on what you guys think would look best. Thanks in advance!

Joffre1922

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Joffre, why are you asking here and not AAAC? Whatever. Can you provide a link to the reference list you're talking about? I don't understand your question at all.

sorry, my question is..do I need to pay import tax when i purchase shoes from a UK website? Like when the package reach US cutoms
i.e from www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk

thanks

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

If you have a limited wardrobe that includes a navy suit, I would skip the blazer. Go with a sport jacket with a subtle, conservative pattern that could work in a casual business setting. Check out the WAYWRN thread for ideas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads