Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Espresso

Espresso Senior member

Hi guys, my prom date is wearing red D; what should I wear with a black suit to match? red vest and red tie? white vest/tie, red pocket square... silver vest/tie, red pocket square... I really don't know :\\ Any help in pulling this off would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

(also what difference from 100% wool does a wool/silk blend make? is it worse/better, warmer/cooler..)

What's the shade of red?
    IMHO, I think you should wear what you are comfortable with. If you wear a shade that you dislike, you will end up not enjoying yourself, nor will you be comfortable. Discuss w/ your date what color, and possible combination you both enjoy! Afterall the pictures are shared right? lol

Slight contrast w/ the vest/tie is what I'd go with.

2. onix

onix Senior member

Hi guys, my prom date is wearing red D; what should I wear with a black suit to match? red vest and red tie? white vest/tie, red pocket square... silver vest/tie, red pocket square... I really don't know :\\ Any help in pulling this off would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

(also what difference from 100% wool does a wool/silk blend make? is it worse/better, warmer/cooler..)

What's the shade of red?
    IMHO, I think you should wear what you are comfortable with. If you wear a shade that you dislike, you will end up not enjoying yourself, nor will you be comfortable. Discuss w/ your date what color, and possible combination you both enjoy! Afterall the pictures are shared right? lol

Slight contrast w/ the vest/tie is what I'd go with.

Wool/silk blend will probably be cooler, at least from my experience. Night like prom, I'd for sure go with the blend. Don't go all red-overkill. Plus she'll be ticked if it doesn't match hers. I'd go with the white vest with red pocket square. It'll look cool.

[​IMG]

3. Seand03

Seand03 New Member

I just got a really nice calvin klein med gray suit with light pinstriping, that i am planning on wearing to a wedding. I need to go get a shirt and tie to go with it. My question is, can i get away with a black shirt and a bright orange tie, maybe a black fedora as well?
    Also what color pocket square should i go with if i use that color scheme, black or orange?

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I just got a really nice calvin klein med gray suit with light pinstriping, that i am planning on wearing to a wedding. I need to go get a shirt and tie to go with it. My question is, can i get away with a black shirt and a bright orange tie, maybe a black fedora as well?
    Also what color pocket square should i go with if i use that color scheme, black or orange?

Ugh.

1. Don't wear a pin-stripe suit to a wedding, pin-stripes are for business.

2. Don't wear a black shirt. Ever.

5. RTenenbaum

RTenenbaum Active Member

Really basic, embarrassing question here. What's the best way to care for dress shirts so that they will last a long time? Before I found SF I had been basically dry cleaning them after every wear. Now I've heard that doing that will shorten the life of the shirt significantly...

6. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

7. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Ugh.

2. Don't wear a black shirt. Ever.

Unless you are attending a funeral. Even then it is optional.

8. fallewings18

fallewings18 New Member

hey i got a light grey suit jacket and was thinking of buying pants for it. Will it work with darker grey pants? or black pants is better?

9. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

Really basic, embarrassing question here. What's the best way to care for dress shirts so that they will last a long time? Before I found SF I had been basically dry cleaning them after every wear. Now I've heard that doing that will shorten the life of the shirt significantly...

I usually wash mine in cold or warm water on gentle cycle, partially dry them on low, and iron them damp.

Or . . .

You can always try cloth tape. [​IMG]

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oh, hai guise...

What can you tell me about ABBA brand shirts? I picked up a few at a Junior League shop recently, and they appear, to my untrained eye, pretty okay-ish: quality cotton, thick MOP buttons, made in Italy. Yet the name makes them 100% un-Google-able.

Same question for Xacus and Ateseta(?) shirts, I guess. They seem like great Italian quality, yet I haven't run into the names on SF.

Thanks.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Unless you are attending a funeral. Even then it is optional.

No, you should not be wearing a black shirt to a funeral, you should be wearing a white shirt. A black shirt looks like you're heading out to a tacky club, hardly suitable attire for paying your respects.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Actually a black shirt looks like you're going to a parade. Goose steps optional but make sure it's a Boss shirt.

13. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Black pants with brown shoes? Or strictly black with black?

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Black pants with brown shoes?

Never.

15. dasai

dasai Senior member

Short of NOS or outright theft, what's the cheapest way to get a new pair of Alden's unlined LHS loafers made for Brooks Brothers? Do they ever have more than a 25% discount? I wasn't really interested in loafers, but now feel an intense desire to get a pair (preferably without breaking the bank).