1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I picked up my first pair of monk strap shoes, a pair of Fratelli Rossetti Cottos. When I store these with shoe trees in, should I leave the strap buckled or unbuckled? I was assuming buckled but I was wondering if that would cause the leather on the buckle to eventually wear down.
    Thanks,
    Fred

2. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

I believe Filson offers a discount to SF members. Either way, for a bag that will last your lifetime, probably worth paying full price.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code? Also... Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I picked up my first pair of monk strap shoes, a pair of Fratelli Rossetti Cottos. When I store these with shoe trees in, should I leave the strap buckled or unbuckled? I was assuming buckled but I was wondering if that would cause the leather on the buckle to eventually wear down.
    Thanks,
    Fred

I never buckle them.

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I never buckle them.
    Thanks!

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Can anyone identify the AE spectators shoes in the picture above the "Classic/Timeless/etc" category on the AE home page? Is it the Strawfut or a different shoe? http://www.allenedmonds.com/

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Can anyone identify the AE spectators shoes in the picture above the "Classic/Timeless/etc" category on the AE home page? Is it the Strawfut or a different shoe? http://www.allenedmonds.com/
    Strawfut, in linen/brown. I own that shoe. It rocks so much ass. Going to love wearing it this summer.
    so I had an 'accident' at lunch where I managed to get mustard all over my shirt and wool pants. Will the cleaners be able to remove said stains [​IMG]
    Depends on a lot of things, composition of the mustard, type of wool, how "set" the stain is... Get them to a cleaner sooner rather than later.

7. nohio

nohio Senior member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code?

Also...

Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

Try calling Crane's (store linked at the top of the page). They might be able to help you out. Filson is cracking down on vendors who offer discounts, though.

8. 16simon

16simon Member

Just got some trousers back from being hemmed - the inner part of the hem has been pinched in slightly at the rear crease and there is a corresponding small gap between the inner and outer fabric at the front.

It's only very small but unless I'm careful I catch my foot on the gap at the front when pulling the trousers on, and the hand stitching comes undone after a few times of doing this. This was done by a tailor who has otherwise done good work for me; is there a reason that the hem would be done this way, or is it poor workmanship?

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Just got some trousers back from being hemmed - the inner part of the hem has been pinched in slightly at the rear crease and there is a corresponding small gap between the inner and outer fabric at the front.

It's only very small but unless I'm careful I catch my foot on the gap at the front when pulling the trousers on, and the hand stitching comes undone after a few times of doing this. This was done by a tailor who has otherwise done good work for me; is there a reason that the hem would be done this way, or is it poor workmanship?

Are they hemmed at an angle? This may be unavoidable with certain fabrics when hemming the back lower than the front (which should probably be the case unless you have them cuffed), depending on the size of the angle. I'd just be a bit more careful when putting them on...

10. 16simon

16simon Member

Are they hemmed at an angle?

ah, that'll be why, should have guessed. Thanks!!

11. ichobi

ichobi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone know the maker of these saddle shoes? They look like Mcnairy's but they aren't, I emailed him.
    The colour looks perfect for Summer!.

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code?

Also...

Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

There is a filson thread. Request one from Crane's by posting or PMing. Personally being in Canada, I didn't go through them because it was the same for me to buy it locally.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...142198&page=23

I really like the tan. I went with the canvas green because of availability and I have no regrets.

13. ArlissRenwick

ArlissRenwick New Member

14. acecow

acecow Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone know the maker of these saddle shoes? They look like Mcnairy's but they aren't, I emailed him.
    The colour looks perfect for Summer!.

J&M have very similar shoes. Check out their website.

15. vertol

vertol New Member

I have a Calvin Klein 1 button black peak lapel suit and am wondering what sort of shirt and tie to wear with it. This is for a formal event. Would it be acceptable to wear a tuxedo shirt and bow tie (maybe even a cummerbund)? Or would this look stupid and should I just wear a regular neck tie instead?