1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ukeseb

ukeseb New Member

Thanks - I actually went to the place in Tokyo where I got them hemmed and he showed me an example of what he would do, and the results were very impressive so he so go the job. If it all goes tits up then I'll pack them off to Denim Therapy I guess.

2. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Do you guys know anywhere that sells ties in the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch range? The only place I can seem to find ones in that size is J Crew, but I'd like to try something else.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

thetiebar.com is very decent for the price.

4. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

Two related cobbler questions:
    I have some dry eraser dust ground into my shoes and they've ruined the finish. What can I expect to pay for stripping and refinishing?
    My local cobbler had a price list that included "heel and full sole --$55". Is this similar to recrafting? Is this a reasonable price for this service?
    Thanks!

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Lands End Canvas are mostly 2.75"

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I need to rationalize an excuse not to buy this bag. My old bag - from customhide.com - was very nice and I'd be happy to buy another one, but it was stolen when hoodlums broke into my car. I need a new briefcase, and I'm having trouble finding an excuse not to spend $2k on this bag.

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/west3_dc/index.html

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Hoodlums will just steal the new one as well, hope that helped :D

8. Harold falcon

Fortunately my insurance covers loss of valuable property from the vehicle, up to $10,000. I'd just get a check for a new briefcase.

Thanks, but no dice.

9. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

so is the bag really 2K then, or just 1.8K? considering insurance.

10. Harold falcon

Yes, good point. I did receive a check for the stolen bag.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Picky, picky, it seems like a lost cause trying to justify not buying it. The aggravation from having to keep replacing it would be the only reason not to. Hey, buy two! That way when the hoodies steal the one you normally carry, you'll have a spare until the insurance pays out. Then you can re-buy another spare...

1 person likes this.
  12. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Which tie would you guys choose to go with this jacket? (Other suggestions are welcome as well). I'm supposed to be going to a "holiday" cocktail party so this is the only jacket I have besides a full on suit.

This is the jacket- [​IMG]

These are the ties
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel like the red one goes with the Christmas theme a bit more, but I don't know if it clashes with the jacket.

13. zanderman

zanderman Well-Known Member

Anybody here able to get deals on Mabitex, or other slim pants? I would rather ask someone directly than waste time on B&S.

14. Harold falcon

What colour shirt and pants will you be wearing?

15. acecow

acecow Senior member

+1.

But I'd work around the green/gray tie.

16. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

Chocolate brown corduroy sport coat.. I'm thinking about navy blue elbow patches. I would like opinions on 2 items:

1. leather or suede patches?
    2. round or rectangle patch shape?

thx

17. zanderman

zanderman Well-Known Member

Always round, IMO. And I would do suede, though a really matte leather might give the same effect and be more durable.

18. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Sorry I should have added that. White shirt and probably dark fitted jeans with my pair of strands. I'm trying to decide if I can pull off a pocket square and what color it should be. I'm bad about being too matchy matchy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Do it yourself. Saddle soap and polish, if the polish alone won't do it. I really, really doubt you'll have to completely strip and redo the finish.

As for the heel and sole, it's not recrafting. It's a full sole replacement. Take the old leather sole off, attach a new one, and put a new heel on, since the heel has to come off for a new sole anyway. Recrafting involves refinishing the upper, replacing the cork footbed (if applicable), and in the case of Allen Edmonds, replacing the welt. As for the price, that's really good. Probably not a great quality sole, and the stitching is probably done by machine with no attention paid to how close the stitches were on the original sole and welt.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Just picked up a vintage croc belt (from Etsy). What steps should I care to condition it and care going forward?