1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

2. Philip

Philip Senior member

that shawl collar is disgusting. I can see someone wearing this with jeans and a low v neck with really gaudy pointy shoes

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Would getting a brogued belt to wear with wingtips be too matchy-matchy?

Specifically this belt with McAllisters.

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

Who's ever going to notice? Do it.

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

This purchase is MOL's and your fault [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. acecow

acecow Senior member

115 for a belt? Holy molly. Go to Nordstrom Rack and pick a belt for $20.

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Well the shoes were spendy so I figure the accompanying belt might as well follow suit!

8. acecow

acecow Senior member

I figure the belt is the least noticeable piece of clothing besides underwear and socks (sometimes). Most regular calf leather belts look the same regardless of price. If your pants fit at the waist and there's no folding going on, a cheap belt will serve you just as long as the most expensive one. No point spending more than $25 on a belt, unless you have extra money lying around.

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Yea, when I take delivery of the shoes I'm going to try and find a <65 matching belt. The AE belt has the advantage of being from the same exact leather as the shoes.

10. Bateman87

Bateman87 Active Member

Any suggestions for casual brown laced shoes? I want them to be dressy enough to wear to work (pretty casual - I usually wear J.Crew shirts without ties; khakis, cords, etc) but still wearable with jeans. I'd get Clarks Desert Boots, but I already have the grey suede variant. Price range.. say a soft limit of $200 and a hard limit of $300.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

That is unimportant. You don't match the tie to your PS, you don't have to match the belt to your shoes. Dressing well is not about matching. It's about liking what you wear and combining colors and materials in a complementing way.

12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I was always under the impression that shoes, belt, and watch strap should match. So as long as they don't clash they don't have to match, eh?

1 person likes this.
  13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Correcto. Personally, I find it a bit too studied to perfectly match your watch strap, belt, and shoes. It is a little bit silly in my opinion. As long as they are in the same color group you should be good to go.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That is a tough range to 'play' in. Alden makes some of the best casual shoes as far as I am concerned, but they are in the $350+ range. The Allen Edmond Strand is not a bad idea in that price range, although a bit on the formal side.

Try this though:

http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/classic_collection.htm

I have heard good things about the exeter. I think a pair of suede penny loafers would do you very well.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. Same color family is all you need. Black shoes, black belt. Brown shoes, brown belt. Burgundy shoes, burgundy belt. The exact shade is unimportant. Hell, I have a belt that's halfway between burgundy and brown that I'll freely wear with both.

Obsessively matching your belt isn't healthy. As long as both complement the larger ensemble and don't clash, you're fine.

Sounds like you're in need of the classic american gunboat. Heavy wingtips, preferably open laced with a double sole. Vintage florshiems (NOS or cordovan if possible) would be just the ticket in your price range (usually about $100 on ebay or the B&S here). You could probably also find a pair of AEs in that price range. The MacNeil (or Player's Shoe, if you want 'em in suede, which is indeed a nice option) is the model you want.

16. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

chocolate suede shoes ... dark brown leather belt ...
    the colors are close... but obviously the texture is off
    big deal?
    i do want a suede belt eventually... but don't want to go rushing out to get one just right now

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I have my MTM shirt length down for formal wear (dress shirts), but if I want to have some shirts made for more casual, and worn untucked, how should I go about the length of the shirt?
    I would like to order some MTM shirts that can be worn tucked or untucked. What is usually a good ratio in shirt length without looking sloppy? More concerned about the shirt length being untucked and having an unruly appearance.

Also:

made in italy BR boots? y/n?
    [​IMG]
    Inner and bottom soles shoe moderate wear, but the leather seems to crease easily.

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Perfectly fine. I find suede belt / suede shoes too matchy matchy anyways.

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Not sure if I can help on the shirts, as I am more of a tucker myself, but those shoes... should not see the light of day.

20. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Can anyone recommend good burgundy leather gloves,would like with wool lining and grain leather and which won't cost millions?