Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RTenenbaum

RTenenbaum Active Member

I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here [​IMG]

Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor?

The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?

2. onix

onix Senior member

I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here [​IMG] Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor? The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?
    If you're fine with lower quality shirts with the trouble of alteration, then why not going through online MTM shirts?

3. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

[​IMG]

4. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

Anyone here have any experience with a "mazzoni" brand of clothes? There's a leather coat on ebay that i may be able to nab for cheap. Granted if i can get it for the starting bid its a good deal regardless[​IMG] but im wondering how good is the quality is of the brand.? A search on here and online turns up close to nada

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' They are also not great for flipping.

OJFC. Alden tassel loafers on the van last, sure. G&G tassel loafers on the Deco last? Something else entirely!

Where can I get suede elbow patches to put on a SC? Online vendors preferred

Thanks for your help

Posted via Tapatalk

Lots of places sell them - Dritz is the most common brand, runs about $8 US for a pair.

Cashmere sweaters, hang or fold?

I've been folding them but I need the space for other stuff. I'm concerned the necks will stretch out if hung, should I be?

Fold!

Can a tailor take in the collar on a shirt if its a bit loose around the neck ?

Yes, but it's never the same.

No.

Why u say this? I've seen it done - it's just not something I'd go for. If the collar and shoulders don't fit on a shirt, it's not worth buying it.

Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

[​IMG]

What gouge? I see a bit of a scuff, and if these are shell it'll brush out. Calf might require a little more work, but there's a good chance it'll buff out. If not, then go the full route of conditioner, cream and wax and you won't see a trace of it.

If it is an actual gouge, you may have luck using the spoon technique - you apply a little wax, then use the back of a spoon to burnish and smooth the leather - press hard and slide the spoon over the gouge several times.

6. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

What gouge? I see a bit of a scuff, and if these are shell it'll brush out. Calf might require a little more work, but there's a good chance it'll buff out. If not, then go the full route of conditioner, cream and wax and you won't see a trace of it.

If it is an actual gouge, you may have luck using the spoon technique - you apply a little wax, then use the back of a spoon to burnish and smooth the leather - press hard and slide the spoon over the gouge several times.

Thanks for the help [​IMG] I'll give it a try.

They are shell I'll just try brushing it out. Worse comes to worse, I'll just smear it with the Burgundy Pasty Wax.

7. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

What's the style of shoe called in which there's stitching on the toe area, but it's under a solid, uncut, un-punctured piece of leather so you can only see the imprint of the stitching?

8. chanpo

chanpo Member

Did you end up ordering from them? If so, how was it?

I would also like to know whether that site is legitimate or a scam. Anyone have experience with Linea Fashion?

9. runofthedill

runofthedill Member

best dress shoe polishing/cleaning kit that wont cost me a ton?

10. CJones

CJones Well-Known Member

Double Breasted Navy Blazer, no gold buttons - where?

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

are the a. testonis on gilt for $199 a good deal or are they diffusion line pieces of shit?

12. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

What are good corporate business work shoes ?

Allen Edmonds ? Any other brands/models to recommend?

13. epilepc

epilepc Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a modern, slim-fitting suit for prom. I wanna be stylish but I can't spend too much money on a suit (<400). Any recommendations? Fabrics? Stores I should check out?

14. thedonster

thedonster New Member

does anyone know about buying glasses online here: MisterSpex I came accross the site but havnt tried it yet. thanks

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Why u say this? I've seen it done - it's just not something I'd go for. If the collar and shoulders don't fit on a shirt, it's not worth buying it.

Because in order to do it in a way that won't look like an utter hack job, you have to basically recut the entire collar and shoulder area. And the shape of the collar will never be right either, since that material has to either come off the ends or out of the middle, which would leave a prominent seam.

The expense of doing that, plus the fact that it's a no win however you do it, makes me say that altering the collar is not really doable. Buy a new shirt.