Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Any way to save these?

[​IMG]

Got em wet? I have 2 favorite ties that had some food stains so I tried washing them in the sink.. They look just like that. Hanging, rolling, steaming, pressing, nothing has worked. My next plan is to get them disassembled, steam/press the hell out of the silk and then remake them.

I tried steaming them and ironing them lightly but without any major effect.

http://www.tiecrafters.com/cleaning.html

2. djlukin

djlukin Well-Known Member

If i was to make a long term investment in a pair of dress shoes, what model and company should I ge?

3. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

Q: What's the deal with two buttons on barrel cuffs?

I think it looks strange, the one normal button and the one next to it for guys with extremely skinny wrists or something. I don't like the look of the second button so I cut it off all my dress shirts. Is this ok?

4. either/or

either/or Senior member

Q: What's the deal with two buttons on barrel cuffs?

normal button, wristwatch button

5. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

ohhh

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

If i was to make a long term investment in a pair of dress shoes, what model and company should I ge?
    Depends on what you want, what you need them for, and your budget. The bottom of the high end shoe range is mainline Allen Edmonds, priced at $300 retail, though they can somewhat easily be found cheaper. They, and other manufacturers, have lots of different styles to offer.

7. crider8883

crider8883 Well-Known Member

I recently bought a SC off the B&S that has working cuffs (the seller didn't mention this fact.) Love the jacket, but the sleeves are about an inch too short for my monkey arms.

I've heard on this board that with working cuffs, a tailor needs to let the sleeves out from the shoulder. Has anyone had this done? How much am I looking at?

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

It's shorting that's more the problem. If there is material and you don't mind the buttons being an inch further from the end I think the tailor can manage.

9. dasai

dasai Senior member

normal button, wristwatch button
    Not quite. It's actually shorter-arm button, longer-arm button. You'll notice that they only tend to show up on shirts whose sleeves are sized to every other inch, rather than every inch.

10. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

Is it possible to get a (cotton, silk, cashmere blend) blazer taken in from a 58 inch chest to a 42 inch chest? Would any professional tailor even bother with a request like that? If so, how much should i expect to pay?

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Is it possible to get a (cotton, silk, cashmere blend) blazer taken in from a 58 inch chest to a 42 inch chest? Would any professional tailor even bother with a request like that? If so, how much should i expect to pay?

Probably, but the problem is that just about everything else would need to be adjusted as well. The 58 inch chest blazer is also cut fuller in the arms and the waist. It has a different button stance because of the difference in size. The lapels will likely need to be readjusted. It's entirely possible the lining and canvassing will need to be separately removed, cut, and reassembled. Basically you're taking some fabric into the tailor and asking him/her to build you a brand new coat.

Unless the material is really nice or there's some sentimental value involved, I would recommend against such drastic surgery.

12. either/or

either/or Senior member

Not quite.
    Thanks for the info. I only have MTM shirts and got the watch explanation. Made the mistake of ordering it on the first shirt. Didn't like it much either.

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Generally speaking, the Hickey Freeman suits at a typical NM Last Call are what, Half Canvas?

14. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

Not quite. It's actually shorter-arm button, longer-arm button. You'll notice that they only tend to show up on shirts whose sleeves are sized to every other inch, rather than every inch.

What? I don't understand.

15. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

I bought Peal & Co Chukka boots (the $248 crepe sole ones); do I need shoe trees in them? Or are the trees just for more formal shoes?