1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I was under the impression leather soles were to be avoided in the rain, no? I've been nervous about wearing my cordovan and calf shoes when raining. Should anything be done to the shoe after returning indoors from the rain? Just give the leather a quick wipe down?

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just let soaked shoes air dry away from heat. Use shoe trees to retain their shape. Leather can get wet. It is heat and chemicals that hurts it.

I feel that all-leather shoes are never truly broken in until they have been worn in the rain and have had a good soak. That seems to allow the inner sole and uppers to mold to your feet for maximum comfort.

3. muomei

muomei New Member

I've tried to search around the internet but don't find much about padded down blazers. What are they called anyways? Here is some pictures of what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Hello,

(from sw&d, so I apologize in advanced)

I am building up my Mc wardrobe and have recently purchased a pair of Park Avenues for 220 (seconds) in black. I want to keep these shoes in great condition so I am looking to buy a pair of nice (sub $25) shoe trees. Also any recommendations on waxed, polishes, and conditioners would be great.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Here is "some" info on the second part of your question.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What is a fair price for altering the waist size on a pair of pants? The only decent tailor recommended to me here quoted me $50; I thought it would be around $30. Should I find someone else? (I'm having several pairs taken in or out, so...)

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Maybe I'm just not used to better tailoring but I just go to the alterations department at my local K&G Superstore. I pay about $15 or less for something like that. I used to tip her or bring her muffins, coffee or such and now she'll bundle several alterations together. I've begun to bring family members in as well and she gives them a discount, too.

She tapers pant legs, hems and cuffs pants adjusts sleeves and even does waist suppression and gets the humps out of the back of a jacket. Maybe if I ever own a Kiton, I'll look for someone better but meanwhile, for the money, I can't beat it.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks! I've never heard of them,but it looks like there's a store one town over; for that price I'll definitely check it out the next time I swing by...

The only thing I've ever had tailored were jackets, so I have no idea what anything costs. I'm just looking to slim down a whole buncha quality-fabric-ed, but ill-fitting clothes, much like Street Etiquette's (and SF's) JKissi:

[​IMG]

Here he is with some severely tapered Land's End dad jeans. :slayer:

9. sknonitsuka

sknonitsuka Member

Could anyone tell me the brand of these shoes:
    [​IMG]

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Bought some straight leg dark blue jeans from banana republic to wear with sports coats
    They are not skinny or tight, just not baggy
    But the legs are too long
    Do I just cuff them or get them hemmed?
    Maybe I will browse the sw&d side for some jeans fit pics :embar:

11. GusW

It depends upon the look you want to achieve. I would cuff them and see if you like that look. Cuffs may look better if you like to wear boots. But if you want a more tailored look and wear dress shoes consider having them hemmed.

12. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

Whats a nice casual shoe to wear out on a date or night out? I use my laceups for interviews and work, could I use them for nights out as well or would loafers or monk straps be better

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I have mine hemmed. No break. Bottom of the jean hits precisely at the top of my shoe. This exposes a slight "half moon" shape with most of my loafers. Something I have come to really like/strive for with my jeans...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

If you have them hemmed, most tailors don't have the machine to properly replicate the chain stitching at the hem. BourbonBasted's tailor apparently does.

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Where are you located? My tailor charges $20 for this.

16. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Cedarville shoe trees (a site affiliate, look to your right) makes great shoe trees. The full size mens is on sale for $22 right now.

http://www.cedarvillestore.com/p-19-mens-full-shoe-tree.aspx

I own several of their shoes trees and they are a quality product.

17. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

someone suggested looking up "self edge" in Los Angeles
    http://www.selfedge.com/chainstitching.php
    they have the chain stitching machine
    and it will cost $25 to get it chain stitched at the store

18. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Thank You

I have purchased the Epic Shoe Trees for 19.99 (AskAndy discount)

Will be purchasing the Allen Edmonds shoe care products:
    Premium Shoe Polish
    Condition/Cleaner
    Shoe Cream
    Horsehair brush and dauber

Does the above sound good? Or is there better (along same price) than the above?

19. GusW

It is an excellent place to start. They have good brushes that should last many years. Over time you may want to add cream polish in black and several shades of brown and tan.

You will want a dauber for brown, one for tan and one for black. You will also want a brush for black, one for tan and one for brown.

20. iTylerStewart

iTylerStewart Active Member

Should I start tripling up payments on my car or save up for a nice Bespoke suit package??