1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. meemo

meemo Member

I'm starting a new job, and the dress code is black suit and white shirt along with any colour tie. Was wondering what sort of tie you guys would recommend. And as for shoes, would black be my only option or would brown be acceptable as well?

2. hellodocks

hellodocks Senior member

Their Milano line would better suit you than Fitzgerald.

3. mymil

mymil Senior member

Black suit, black shoes. As for the tie... black or shades of gray, or patterns that include black. Black suits are much more restrictive than gray.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Are you working as a waiter? What kind of job requires a black suit?

5. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Does anybody know of an online retailer that sells a wide range of Harmont and Blaine offerings, preferably in North America? I know Yoox always seems to have a smattering of their stuff, but I'm hoping to find a place with more on offer.

I know logos are not kosher for the majority here, and generally speaking I agree. My wife, who is allergic to dogs, loves dachshunds and I think she would get a kick out of the logo on a sport shirt or polo. So for her, i am making an exception.

Thanks.

6. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

anyone have a picture of a well matched shirt/tie combo with different scales? if they could post it, i would really appreciate that. i cant find one for the life of me

7. MXERPAC

MXERPAC Well-Known Member

What RTW brands typically have a concave shoulder with roping?

8. meemo

meemo Member

Nope, it's a retail men's clothing store (harry rosen). I've already asked if I could wear any other colour suit and unfortunately I can't, so just want to make the most out of what I've got to work with (which would be shoes and tie).

9. Lazytiki

Lazytiki Well-Known Member

Can someone give me some information on the company Valenza? Is it made by Jack Victor? Do they make a quality product etc.

Thank you

10. dsclaw88

dsclaw88 New Member

I am looking for a new casual belt to wear with jeans.I currently am looking ate the YSL (the large logo) belt/ Hermes Classic H Belt? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a casual belt besides these two brands? and if not which one would you select? I am leaning towards the hermes because it is reversible....

This belt will mainly be worn with jeans and either a polo or dress shirt, and maybe occasionally a t-shirt.

11. ccalmicker

ccalmicker New Member

Thanks ...but campos and campos have horrible ratings.......

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Neither. Giant logos are quite tacky- both of those belts will scream "Hey! I'm a wanna be rich snob, but I have no idea what I'm doing!" As for what you should get, that's an incredibly broad question. If you want tooled leather, your local western store should have a selection. If you want plain leather, but casual, places like tanner goods have a selection. I personally wear several different things- a cheapo woven leather belt, a canvas web belt, which you can get at the military surplus store, and various striped D ring belts.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

What about reds, blues, greens, purples, oranges and everything else? Black is a neutral. It's problem is its harshness, which does not apply to everybody. In fact, as a problem it applies to few. Black suit and white shirt is pretty dang neutral, and you can wear pretty much any tie. But plain shirt and plain suit is crying out for some interest, so unless you're doing the whole slim black tie thing (not really recommended for a uniform job), wear a tie with a pattern. Preferably in a darker shade- burgundy or whatnot. And whatever you do, stay away from plain red. It's painfully generic. The only colors I would avoid are light colors and near matches. Save the light ties for lighter suits, and don't put navy or a dark brown with the black.

14. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

Polo Ralph Lauren makes some good casual belts in both ribbon and leather styles. I believe some are reversible too

15. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Anyone know what Car this is?

[​IMG]

16. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Birdcage Maserati, I think. Tipo 61. Not a street car. Production racer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  17. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

[​IMG]

18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

It's not always an option, depending on location.

Did you solve the mystery?

19. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I received these shoes today. There are some ripples at the back of the shoes and the back of the shoe is quite soft instead of being hard.

The result of the softness of the heel portion is that though the shoes fits in all area including the ball it is quite loose in at the lip area so it always feels as if its slipping.

Your thoughts ? What could have caused this ?

Best regards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mymil

mymil Senior member

Sure, I should have just stuck to the shoes half of the questions. I don't have much practice thinking with black suits, since I'd never one to anything but a funeral. Tuxedos don't count.