• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
I'm not sure what looks inappropriate on him, but I do need advice on Coat in Canadian winters as well.
Huge distances, open spaces, ice cold winds, lots of walking, and wool/cashmere overcoats don't help.

So far the only thing that saves me is Canada goose, and Shearling coat. any other suggestions?

1) layer. Winter in TO can be -20 one day and +20 the next.

2) various small features really help. So zipper with buttons on the outside. The buttons close the front over the zipper. When it's really windy the wind will go right past the zipper teeth. For the sleeves make sure the cuffs are fitted. A hood. I'd add a hat under the hood when it's really cold.

Obviously you want good boots and gloves.No exposed skin.

You should be able to handle the average day with just a wool coat and layering. It's only those really cold weeks you need the extreme stuff.

rubbishtheory

Reaction score
Hi Does anyone know who makes Kilgour shoes? I was told Church's and C&J...can anyone confirm this? These loafers in particular...
DSC04628.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Need the picture of the lining code and soles for accurate identification.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
I'm not sure what looks inappropriate on him, but I do need advice on Coat in Canadian winters as well.
Huge distances, open spaces, ice cold winds, lots of walking, and wool/cashmere overcoats don't help.

So far the only thing that saves me is Canada goose, and Shearling coat. any other suggestions?

Stick with the Canada Goose.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubbishtheory
Thanks.

DSC04625.jpg
DSC04630.jpg

^ Crockett & Jones. 9871 is model #, 12 is color code (black calf), 9 1/2 is sizing of course.

skywalker

Reaction score
I hope it's not wrong to repost, but I really am curious if anyone knows. I've done a search and come up empty.
does anyone know where to buy swaine adeney brigg stuff? I know the UK has a website, I was hoping there was a U.S. website or two.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skywalker
I hope it's not wrong to repost, but I really am curious if anyone knows. I've done a search and come up empty.
does anyone know where to buy swaine adeney brigg stuff? I know the UK has a website, I was hoping there was a U.S. website or two.

As far as I know, there is no US website for SAB. However, many retailers carry SAB (without explicitly stated so), like Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, J. Peterman, etc.,

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familar with this Brooks Brothers sale going on now? Enjoy 25% off when using your BB Card or BB Platinum card, Enjoy 15% off when using any other form of payment. I wonder if I can use my corporate discount with that...

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to get a turmeric (or mustard) stain out of a shirt? It's fresh. I tried water and a Tide stain pen thing, but no dice.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Does anybody know how to get a turmeric (or mustard) stain out of a shirt? It's fresh. I tried water and a Tide stain pen thing, but no dice.

-maybe have a look here.

Cortis

Reaction score
My current non-iron shirts are all poly/cotton blends, and I'm having an all-cotton non-iron shirt competition to choose what will replace them. The contestants are from Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, Lands' End, and Jos. A. Bank.

My questions: do the non-iron treatments applied to these shirts make them shrink-resistant as well? How much shrinkage, if any, should I expect in the sleeves?

skywalker

Reaction score
anyone know the best place to check out some valextra stuff aside from barneys?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cortis
My current non-iron shirts are all poly/cotton blends, and I'm having an all-cotton non-iron shirt competition to choose what will replace them. The contestants are from Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, Lands' End, and Jos. A. Bank.

My questions: do the non-iron treatments applied to these shirts make them shrink-resistant as well? How much shrinkage, if any, should I expect in the sleeves?

There are several threads on this and if you search you will see lots of opinions. I have had some BB non-iron shirts in the past and I don't think they shrank much if any. You would not need to order a different sleeve length than normal. As far as these shirts go, they were fine, but I ended up returning them because I did not like the feel of the non-iron fabric, so maybe I am not the best judge.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
There are several threads on this and if you search you will see lots of opinions. I have had some BB non-iron shirts in the past and I don't think they shrank much if any. You would not need to order a different sleeve length than normal. As far as these shirts go, they were fine, but I ended up returning them because I did not like the feel of the non-iron fabric, so maybe I am not the best judge.

Ditto. I've had a few BB non-iron and they didn't shrink at all. That said, I hate non-iron fabric -- it doesn't breathe, and it's treated with a formaldehyde resin that may or may not cause cancer. :p

I do still keep two of them around (blue and white) for travel.

I say, learn to iron and be more comfortable!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads