• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
I recently purchased a MTM suit from Harry Rosen and I'm very happy with it except for a small "pill" or "break" in a thread of fabric within the body of the wool suit. The suit is navy but there was a white thread of wool that was sticking out from the fabric. It was only about 1/10th of an inch long so I carefully trimmed it off. I guess there was a slight snag of the fabric or a puncture of the fabric during the making of the suit? Here are the pics:

Are you sure it's part of the suit fabric, and not just a bit of basting thread or something?

KVH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Are you sure it's part of the suit fabric, and not just a bit of basting thread or something?

I'm pretty sure it's part of the suit fabric although I don't want to tug at it to make sure. It just wouldn't make since for there to be any basting fabric at that location because it's not anywhere a connecting point to another piece of fabric.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
Hey everyone,

I'm a little OCD so if this seems like no big deal to you, please let me know so I can rest easy or if it is a big deal, let me know so I can get it fixed...

I recently purchased a MTM suit from Harry Rosen and I'm very happy with it except for a small "pill" or "break" in a thread of fabric within the body of the wool suit. The suit is navy but there was a white thread of wool that was sticking out from the fabric. It was only about 1/10th of an inch long so I carefully trimmed it off. I guess there was a slight snag of the fabric or a puncture of the fabric during the making of the suit? Here are the pics:

A closeup:

LMo1j.jpg

The following pics will show you how small it is:

Ds5TW.jpg

cFahE.jpg

As you can see, the pill or thread break is very small and not noticeable. However, because this thread is broken from the rest of the fabric weave, I'm worried that that it will be problematic in the future (e.g. will it start coming apart easily, or wear down and the adjacent threads will unravel)?

I'm not sure how durable wool is and I don't know anything about fabrics so someone with experience please let me know if this will be a problem. I don't want to take it back to Harry Rosen to get it fixed only to be laughed at for being a crazy person if this is a non-issue.

Thanks.

If you don't know or are worried, bring it back to them to look at. You are the customer here. I assume you paid a lot for this garment.

Joemero

Reaction score
What's the opinion on rubber soled dress shoes and wearing a suit? I was looking at some Ecco wingtips, also the AE Lombard, both of which have rubber soles and was thinking that might not be appropriate when wearing a suit. I'm in the financial services industry.

Also, what's the opinion on Johnston and Murphy shoes, their signature edition in particular?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
Charcoal suit, white shirt, plain neutral tie for a funeral?
Depending on your culture. For the western world(*), this sounds good enough, though in some certain subcultures, people prefer black. If in doubt, the darker the suit, the better. (*) Some Eastern cultures prefer white or very bright colors.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
I'd prefer black too, but I don't have a black suit in my closet. It's dark enough that I think it should pass, just wasn't sure, and I don't really want to buy a black suit unless I have to. Catholic Italians in Canada, if it matters.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer black too, but I don't have a black suit in my closet. It's dark enough that I think it should pass, just wasn't sure, and I don't really want to buy a black suit unless I have to. Catholic Italians in Canada, if it matters.

Fine. Unless we're discussing close members of the family I doubt many would be wearing a suit.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joemero
What's the opinion on rubber soled dress shoes and wearing a suit? I was looking at some Ecco wingtips, also the AE Lombard, both of which have rubber soles and was thinking that might not be appropriate when wearing a suit. I'm in the financial services industry.

Also, what's the opinion on Johnston and Murphy shoes, their signature edition in particular?

Rubber-soled dress shoes are all right, as long as the soles have a flat profile and are attached in the same fashion as actual leather soles. Dainite soles and A-E's Executive rubber sole are fine, but a lug sole (e.g. Commando) or similar is inappropriate for dress wear.

I'd steer clear of Ecco, as the styling is not all that great as dress shoes go. The A-E Lombard is all right, though as a blucher, it's really meant more to go with sport coats and such than with suits. J&M's lower-tier models have a not-so-great reputation around here (lots of corrected grain leather and the gimmicky "trampoline" system that makes them hard to repair/resole outside the company); their top-of-the-line models are fine, but at that price point, you could find better at A-E, Alden, Cheaney, C&J....

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tab3076
I have a bit a problem, I can't find shirts that fit me.

I'm 6'2 and 175lbs. I'm a bit on the lean side, but even I was ripped I'd still need shirts in my size.

For reference a t-shirt the fits be well would be a typical J. Crew cotten tee in small and in "tailored" fit.

My problem is I can't find any dress shirts that fit me well because the arms are too short. If they made slim medium-talls that'd probably work perfectly. If Banana Republic made small-talls, or slim medium-talls that'd work too, but the fact is they don't. One shirt that does fit me well is Brooks Brothers Extra Slim fits, but the only have 3 or 2 styles? Which, doesn't play out well at all.

What do I do?
frown.gif

EDIT : I did try a medium silm medium-tall BR shirt, it didn't fit. Way too tent-like.

Pinned to front page -

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35147

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
Is there a specific "critique my suit thread"? Because that would be really useful. I'll edit my post if I've missed it.

I was told by SuitSelect (Japanese suit store) that my chest is too thick to fit anything OTR from the entry level salaryman suit shops so I tried United Arrows. The suit looks beautiful from the front, feels perfectly fitted, not too tight or too loose... but this back picture looks strange(also, my head came out enormous). Do I have bizarre proportions or is this cut not for me?

Also:
-What are the striations on the shoulders in the back pick and should I be able to see them?
-Should I be worried about the dimples in the shoulder head in the side view? I was under the impression dimples are bad

FcbMG.jpg

1oHBW.jpg

aUWaj.jpg

Wool / mohair blend, canvassed 48 ~$800. I'm 5'7, ~156

I think it's pretty good overall. Take it to a competent tailor and he will fix the minor details that you may not have noticed.

Charcoal suit, white shirt, plain neutral tie for a funeral?

You should be fine. I saw people in khaki suits at funerals.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe opinion sought:

I have a new pair of suede Chukkas that came with lasted plastic shoe "trees". Should I:

1. Use the plastic ones,
2. Use generic cedar shoe trees, or
3. Put the wooden trees in after wearing and then swap for lasted plastic ones?

Thanks.

Joemero

Reaction score
The A-E Lombard is all right, though as a blucher, it's really meant more to go with sport coats and such than with suits. J&M's lower-tier models have a not-so-great reputation around here (lots of corrected grain leather and the gimmicky "trampoline" system that makes them hard to repair/resole outside the company); their top-of-the-line models are fine, but at that price point, you could find better at A-E, Alden, Cheaney, C&J....
Which models of A-E would you recommend when wearing suits? I thought it was ok to wear a brown wingtip with a suit. I was eyeing the A-E McAllister in Walnut.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Shoe opinion sought:

I have a new pair of suede Chukkas that came with lasted plastic shoe "trees". Should I:

1. Use the plastic ones,
2. Use generic cedar shoe trees, or
3. Put the wooden trees in after wearing and then swap for lasted plastic ones?

Thanks.

Unless the last is oddly shaped, I would use cedar shoe trees, not because of their moisture absorption (if any, but that's a long debates, I have my own opinion, but will not get into that), but because they keep the shoes smell great (with occasional sanding of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads